Was Kaladin mentioned in The Alloy of Law?

Skiroy

Hi all, 

I was rereading The Alloy of Law prior to Shadows of Self, and I noticed something interesting (at least I found it interesting). During a conversation between Miles and Mister Suit (Ch. 15) they talk about the following: 

Suit snorted. “And it’s said that the Roughs are the place where honor goes to be murdered.”

“It’s the place honor goes to be strung up, flayed within an inch of its life, then cut down and left in a desert. If it survives something like that, it’ll be stronger than hell. Certainly stronger than anything you have at your Elendel dinner parties.”

Kaladin being a child of Tanavast/Honor, was strung up to be flayed by the storm, cut down by bridge 4, and became stronger from it (e.g., Teft noticing Kaladin feeding upon the light, which set Kaladin down the path). The desert could be referencing the shattered plains due to the high storms. 

Do you think this was a coincidence or a nod from Brandon to those who follow the Cosmere?

That really stood out to me when I re-read Alloy, in preparation for SoS. I'd say that it was absolutely a wink and a nod to readers who have read all of the Cosmere books, but I think it's also more than that. When Hoid tells Kaladin stories, he kind of dodges the question of just how true the stories are. He seems to be suggesting that the details may change, but stories are told over and over again in the Cosmere, in different forms. Indeed, the "Wandersail" story that he tells in TWoK has meaning to Kaladin but also has elements that seem to directly tell the story of where Szeth is after he discovers that his belief system is a lie, in WoR. Repetition of themes and story elements in totally different contexts should be expected.

• Chaos locked this topic