Who's behind the "big bad guy?"

vineyarddawg

Ok, I was trying to avoid spoilers in the title, but it seems clear that Bleeder's spikes are from a new shard, right?  That's been established, so nothing new there. And we've gotten a WoB (that my google-fu can't seem to find right now... grumble) that this new spike is due to another shard's "hacking" the Scadrian magic system. So the question is just which shard it is, and why they're on Scadrial.

But a shard doesn't just show up on a new planet for no reason, right?  What would have drawn the new shard, whomever it is, to come to Scadrial in the first place?  Well, here's what I'm thinking.  In the Menlo Park signing, Brandon answered the question, "You mentioned that Kelsier is still around meddling, are you planning on having him meddle in a little more overt manner any time soon?" with "That’s a RAFO. A big, big RAFO."

So, I'm thinking Kelsier got frustrated with Sazed's inaction (or, perhaps more precisely, with Sazed's lack of ability to take direct action due to the competing nature of his shards).  As a result of Kelsier's desire to more directly influence Scadrial, he somehow convinced Bavadin to bring his shard of autonomy into play on Scadrial.  Or perhaps Bavadin's not even there, and somehow Kelsier alone is responsible for using Bavadin's god metal to hack Scadrial's magic system.

I do think that the autonomy shard makes more sense than Odium, because Bleeder's actions don't appear to be directly aimed at destroying Harmony... just freeing the people of northern Scadrial from its influence.  In other words... making them more autonomous.

Either way, though, if Kelsier sees a major threat coming to the northern Scadrians from, say the technologically advanced peoples of southern Scadrial, or even if he just gets really ticked off that all the nobles are once again squashing the commoners/"new skaa," that would give him a sufficient reason to act.  

And we've gotten a WoB (that my google-fu can't seem to find right now... grumble) that this new spike is due to another shard's "hacking" the Scadrian magic system. So the question is just which shard it is, and why they're on Scadrial.

I haven't seen this, and I see most WoBs. Are you sure it's official?

I haven't seen this, and I see most WoBs. Are you sure it's official?

I really need to find it.  I know I've read something about shards being able to "hack" other shard's magic systems, but it might not have been specifically in reference to SoS.  I'll search some more and see if I can figure out where I've seen it.

EDIT: Ok, so I've found this and this at Theoryland.  That doesn't say exactly what I had in my mind, and I'm sure I've read something else more recently, but that says that a shard's investiture can be "hacked" into another planet's magic system.

Edited by vineyarddawg

• Chaos locked this topic