The Night Angel Trilogy

Gamma Fiend

Just started this series a couple days ago, just got book two. I like it so far. Way of Shadows was a good book. Still waiting to see the full potential of the magic system, but I like the gritty/dark fantasy genre.

Kind of reminds me of Mistborn and Joe Abercrombie's The First Law Trilogy, but in good ways.

Same opinion than agrooster here. I enjoyed The Night Angel (But when I was reading, It reminded me more of Brandon because os "clean simplicity" and a fast pace, I think) but it was not the kind of book that last in my memory... I mean, not so remarkable. The Lightbringer series are better (I don't know if I would say "way" better o just slightly :P but better) but I think he still has to improve his writing in order to be amongst the best of today's writers.

(I am thinking of Brandon, Steven Eriksson, Richard Scott Bakker, Abercrombie...)

Oh definitely agree, I can't wait to see how he progresses. There were a few problems I had with consistency of things, some characters just seemed flat, and yeah the fast pace was very distracting sometimes. Big events happen and people just shrug it off and don't really talk about it, gets a little annoying. And this is a series that spends too much time on sex. Everybody just instantly falls in love and wants to ravenously tear eachothers' clothes off in a frenzy of lust.

But it was still a very interesting world, the characters that did have depth were great. Durzo Blint of course being the over-powered Mentor Archetype, but he was still fun to read. Have his next series waiting for me at the library so can't wait to read.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed Night Angel, the fast pace made for an entertaining read. It was predictable in some places, but other things were suprising me, so it stayed fresh. I also think the Lightbringer series is better - much gray morality in it and the magics system is really interesting (

and the introduction of the cards (+ mysteries that lie behind them) and different rare special abilities is awesome for me personally

)

Yeah, Lightbringer > Night Angel. But still, its one of my favorites =)

Kylar chopped his own hand off... + for no real reason. Love it when characters cut their own hands off.....especially if there's no point doing that :D

btw looks like there gonna be second trilogy set in same world as Night Angel.

Yeah I like how Brent Weeks characters sometimes just make horrible choices in spectacularly bad fashion because that's our human flaw sometimes. And he certainly does like making them pay for their mistakes.

And the card game in Lightbringer series is awesome. Since I'm a big MTG fan and I can see a bit of influence from that in his game, I appreciate it wholeheartedly.

• 5 weeks later...

I must be one of the few who enjoyed Night Angel more than Lightbringer.  Lightbringer is undoubtedly better written, but Night Angel is just so much fun.  I remember when all 3 books were released a month apart...I figured they would be bargain bin trash.  The ended up being some of the biggest page turners I've ever read.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I agree. Night Angel trilogy was definitely a lot more fun. The main characters were just a lot more hilarious and entertaining to read. And I really love those dark, gritty, type settings, with main characters doing all the sneaking, false-facing, tricks, poisons, alchemy, all that good stuff. That's why I'm enjoying the Gentlemen Bastard series so much at the moment.

Lightbringer = better written and a lot more complex, consistent world. But watching Durzo Blint just be a boss at everything was awesome.

And Dorian:

Holy rust. One of the most tragic heroes ever. I really felt for that dude at the end. Just the sacrifices he always knew he had to make and not knowing.

Dem feels.

I got given the first book of this trilogy from a friend. I picked it up and just forgot all the other books I had opened and persisted to read until I finished it. I loved the cliffhangers in a lot of chapters and also the way I became attached to certain characters I never thought I'd like when I was first introduced to them.

I do like brents new series lightbringer, yet I am unable to be as attached to it as I was with night angel. I have read the first two books and I hope to see something special from the fird to keep my high hopes of this great writer at the same hight he is.

All in all I love the way brent isnt afraid to place something sinister into these books. Each one has had a character in a situation that a normal man would find impossible to struggle through. I like this.

I didn't really like it.

Imo it just tried way too hard to be dark, to the point where some scenes were just ridiculous.

And there were so many dumb scenes of self doubt. "Oh no, I'm so ugly, I don't deserve to be with you!" "Oh, I'm such an evil killer, I don't deserve to be with you!" Especially pointless since you already know that forced conflicts like this one always resolve in the end.

And the silly names, Wetboy and Mama K.

I couldn't get into it, no more suspension of disbelief and everything was ruined.

• 2 months later...

Am I only one here who thinks Brent Weeks might be doing his own hidden epic or something like that? It might be just my wishful thinking but Night Angel and Lightbringer have a lot in common, especially in magic.

There are seven known Ka'kari and even though some colors don't match ones used in Lightbringer it could still be explained somehow, not to mention that we still don't know 'everything' about it in neither series. Black is devouring one in both series too. For all we know Ka'kari could be made from luxin. Important thing there is that Black Ka'kari is called Black instead of Night Ka'kari, Dark Ka'kari, etc. He uses colors when he could easily use anything else describing those Ka'kari.

Then there's this 'collective magic thing'. Khalidorans pray to Khali when they inflict pain to create this huge magic reservoir and then they channel magic from there for fighting. Color Wight's creating their gods is same in a way, they have to do it collectively and it makes them stronger. Khali was Ka'kari user and a 'goddess'.

Colors in both series affect persons personality and if I'm remembering this correctly magicians in Night Angel are defined by their eye colors, while Drafters change their eyes according to their colors.

There's also a reference to Champion of Light in Night Angel trilogy that never happens there and is close to Lightbringer.

Of course it doesn't proves anything but I love stuff like this :| :|

Edited by Cracknut

• 1 year later...

I haven't read LB yet, but I really, really liked NA so hopefully I can pick it up soon! I'm excited to read more of Weeks' stuff. 

Yeah !! I know the feeling!

They are a great set of characters and a good magic system!

The final book of LB will be out around summer2016, then Brent said he may venture back to Midcyru!?!?!?