TLR's Bracers Theory

Moogle

An (old) idea that just came up:

The Lord Ruler never seems to swallow metals. We certainly don't see him do it on-screen, anyways. We also know he was a savant in pretty much every metal, and that the amount of metal you burn is proportionate to how much power you get. So, you'd think he'd be chugging a bunch of brass to handle his god-like Soothing.

If (and it's a big if) the theory about being able to use Feruchemical nicrosil to power Allomancy is true, it might be he bypassed the need for metals and just stored up a bunch of Investiture in some nicrosilminds. He knew a lot of things, apparently.

If so, perhaps his bracers simply contain a sizable pool of Investiture. It might be something of a let-down for bracers promising the power of TLR (any nicrosil Compounder could pull it off - but maybe they don't know about the full powers of nicrosil yet?), but I think it could make sense.

There's something of a problem in that the bracers TLR had "a bit of atium" when sold by Elend. So it seems possible that it's not actually nicrosilminds. Perhaps they're an alloy of nicrosil and atium, however, which allows you to use the metalminds to power Allomancy.

Not a bad idea.  But if the bracers were an alloy of atium and nicrosil, then Elend et al. would have had a heck of a time removing the atium from the bracers.  They certainly would not have been able to do so without destroying the bracers in the process.  It seems more likely that there was some atium attached to the bracers in some manner similar to soldering or brazing or some type of adhesive. 

Elend and co. sold the bracers whole, apparently:

There was only one problem. Nobody had ever found the reserve. They had found some small bit—the atium that had made up the bracers that the Lord Ruler had used as a Feruchemical battery to store up age. However, they had spent those on supplies for the city, and they had actually contained only a very small bit of atium.

It doesn't seem to be mentioned here if they checked if the bracers were pure-atium or what. It's still more likely they were Hemalurgic spikes, I guess, but it always seemed off to me that TLR didn't even bother Pulling the bracers back to him after Vin tore them off him. He had zincminds, surely, it's not like he lacked for time to think. But if he were using the bracers to power his Allomancy...

• 2 weeks later...

TLR using only nicrosilminds as source of power completely makes sense. He can reach godly levels of power because feruchemy in theory have limitless power given enough time to store.

Well his level of power didn't come from the Nicrosilmind. The Nicrosilmind just works like "colossal amout of metals".

But his level of power was probably a mix of Sliver+Savant, probably he reached the upper limit of the Allomancy

...You know for some reason I was thinking about something totally different here: I had the idea these could be Aluminium minds, you know the ones which are supposed to store Identity...Eh I guess those might give you the Lord Ruler's power as they might make you a Full born like he was in life, but you would also get overridden by Rashek's self.

Now that does not mean the guy did not power his stunts by using a Nicosil mind/minds but merely that it might be part of his other jewelry.

Edited by Warpsmith

• Chaos locked this topic