Metallic Arts page

Pechvarry

Just some minor suggestions (complaints) about this wiki page.

The three Metallic Arts are AllomancyFeruchemy, and Hemalurgy, which symbolize the three Realms of Existence: Cognitive, Spiritual and Physical.

This is the opening line, and it's not something I've ever seen anywhere.  Can we get a citation?

Then, the Lord Ruler reached the Well of Ascension. He stole ten beads of lerasium that existed there, and ingested one for himself and giving the others to kings he wished to bribe to his side.

I always thought the power of the well is what made TLR mistborn; not eating a bead himself.  This is a pretty minor detail in the scheme of things, but since if it's supposing one way or another, it could serve to lead someone astray in their rampant theorycrafting (ok, mine).

Edited by Pechvarry

That is not how the Lord Ruler gained Allomancy. :) It's a common mistake though. The epigraphs in Hero of Ages make this clear:

One of these was an understanding of the Three Metallic Arts. He knew, for instance, that the nuggets of metal in the Chamber of Ascension would make those who ingested them into Mistborn. These were, after all, fractions of the very power in the Well itself.

The Lord Ruler found the nuggets, rather than creating them. The wording is quite clear there. It is unknown how the beads were originally created, but the Well does not grant pure Allomantic ability. The epigraphs are certain that the lerasium is what gave Rashek his abilities. If it had been the Well's ability, then Harmony would have stated so. As it stands there is not evidence for using the Well's power to enhance Allomancy. The Lord Ruler's nature as a Sliver from holding the Well may have slightly boosted his abilities, but the beads themselves are what the Lord Ruler used to gain Allomancy itself. (Indeed, Vin's Allomantic ability saw no appreciable difference from going into the Well and she is also classified as a Sliver, as Rashek was. Using the power as opposed to not using it is mostly irrelevant in this case.)

However, I had been lax in citations. Sorry about that. That entire thing needs a lot more citations.

You are, though, spot on about the first point. It seems that a person is convinced that the Three Metallic Arts represent the Three Realms, which is totally unfounded and contradicts the Alloy of Law Ars Arcanum. The same person added it twice: http://coppermind.net/w/index.php?title=Metallic_Arts&diff=17826&oldid=17823 which I removed the first time I saw it, but then he added it again later http://coppermind.net/w/index.php?title=Metallic_Arts&diff=18461&oldid=18160

I have removed the disputed tag and added a citation there. That entire thing needs more citations, however much of it comes from epigraphs and the Alloy of Law Ars Arcanum. I have read over the article and it is currently factual, though does require citing. Let's watch out for that guy adding in that line about Realmatic theory. A lot of people don't know what that directly means...

I don't know if I want this to turn into a protracted argument on terminology, but TLR knowing what the Lerasium nuggets do is completely different from saying he used one and that's how he got Allomancy. In fact, it says he knew the nuggets were just parts of the well. Ergo, a bath in the well should have at least as much effect.

Vin not getting an appreciable "power up" is pretty odd, I concede. But then, she also released the power instead of using it. If I were god-mode Rashek, and knew my time was limited, I would've used a very tiny smidgin to make my physical body an Allomancer.

Odds are you could use the power of the Well to grant oneself Allomantic abilities. However Rashek didn't do that. He was too worried about trying to fix his initial screw up that almost destroyed the world. And there's somewhere (I can't remember where) when you count how many beads of Lerasium there was one missing until we figured out Hoid had it. This count includes Rashek having eaten one.

I wondering if the Well can be used to affect your body at all since you're in God mode. Which raises an interesting question: if Rashek couldn't use the power to affect himself, does that mean he was genetically unaltered... as in... not adapted to surviving breathing in the ash, and eating rubbish food? Given he was a gold compounder, I hardly think that would be much of a problem, but it does make things interesting.

Edited by Kadrok

That is not how the Lord Ruler gained Allomancy. :) It's a common mistake though. The epigraphs in Hero of Ages make this clear:The Lord Ruler found the nuggets, rather than creating them. (1) The wording is quite clear there. It is unknown how the beads were originally created, but the Well does not grant pure Allomantic ability. The epigraphs are certain that the lerasium is what gave Rashek his abilities.(2) If it had been the Well's ability, then Harmony would have stated so.(3) As it stands there is not evidence for using the Well's power to enhance Allomancy. The Lord Ruler's nature as a Sliver from holding the Well may have slightly boosted his abilities, but the beads themselves are what the Lord Ruler used to gain Allomancy itself. (Indeed, Vin's Allomantic ability saw no appreciable difference from going into the Well and she is also classified as a Sliver, as Rashek was. Using the power as opposed to not using it is mostly irrelevant in this case.)

ad (1)

I think this is clear.

ad (2)

I fail to read the Epigraphs this way, eventually caused by not totally understanding them. Might you or someone else quote the exact part?

ad (3)

You mean, Harmony would have included this fact in his writing? Or do you mean, he would have stated that he, too, is a Mistborn now? 

I don't know if I want this to turn into a protracted argument on terminology, but TLR knowing what the Lerasium nuggets do is completely different from saying he used one and that's how he got Allomancy. In fact, it says he knew the nuggets were just parts of the well. Ergo, a bath in the well should have at least as much effect.

Vin not getting an appreciable "power up" is pretty odd, I concede. But then, she also released the power instead of using it. If I were god-mode Rashek, and knew my time was limited, I would've used a very tiny smidgin to make my physical body an Allomancer.

I'm not sure whether a bath could take the same effect as ingesting but I'm with you about the problems in terminolgy.

That Vin didn't get a "power up" might have some reasons:

-- She already was an "unusually skilled" Mistborn as Sazed states in the Epigraph to the Epilogue of HoA. He thinks she might have drawn on the mists in her earlier live, that enhancing her abilities.

-- She took the power of the Well but didn't use it; she let it go.

-- The "enhancement" of Allomantic powers -- as far as I remember -- only were gained through Hemalurgic spikes (and she already had one and one enhancement).

Odds are you could use the power of the Well to grant oneself Allomantic abilities. However Rashek didn't do that. He was too worried about trying to fix his initial screw up that almost destroyed the world. And there's somewhere (I can't remember where) when you count how many beads of Lerasium there was one missing until we figured out Hoid had it. This count includes Rashek having eaten one.

I think you don't mean the current thread, because my question is, how many beads existed. As for I tried the search before creating that thread and didn't come up with a result, I beg you to give me the link to that thread you talk about.

I think you don't mean the current thread, because my question is, how many beads existed. As for I tried the search before creating that thread and didn't come up with a result, I beg you to give me the link to that thread you talk about.

I honestly don't remember. An old one. Perhaps even from back on TWG. It's been a long time since I've seen it.