The Fantasy Book for you

Young Bard

I found this flow chart with 100 of the top selling sff books. I was curious what all of you would get. When I did it, I ended up with the Way of Kings, which I wasn't expecting, seeing as there were so many other options out there. Here's the link. What did you get?

EDIT: Preferably, tell us the path of how you got there, but I won't force you if you're pressed for time.

WAY OF KINGS PATH:

(Spoilered for length)

Sci-Fi or Fantasy? Fantasy

Are you going to be upset when you don't find Harry Potter? (Well, apart from the fact that it's probably a bookstore with a grand total of 3 books in it, not really, so no.)

Are you new to the fantasy genre? NO!!!

Like the Arthurian legend? No.

Looking for modern day settings? No. (Let's find another world. Welcome to epic fantasy!)

Fan of Westerns? A few notable exceptions notwithstanding, not really. So no.

Animals more your thing? NO. Well, actually, looking at that path, a pet dragon would be cool, but for everything else, no.

How about some alternate history? Why is this the one question there's no Maybe for? After deliberation, I saw the yes category had 2 books, one of which was a romance and one which I'd read but I'd found quite slow, so I went no.

Ready to dive into a series? Good grief, I thought you'd never ask!

Does the series have to be finished? No.

Take the low road or the high road? High road, thankyou.

RESULT: The Way of Kings by BRANDON SANDERSON.

Fun, but not exactly worthwhile, seeing as I've already read the book in question. Oh well.

Edited by TheYoungBard

I got Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight.

And here's how I got there...

Where should I start? > Fantasy > Yes.

Are you going to be upset when you don't find Harry Potter? > No

New to the fantasy genre? > No

Like the Arthurian legends? > No (mostly because I don't actually own the Sword in the Stone on VHS or DVD)

Looking for modern day settings? > No

Fan of westerns? > No

Animals more your thing? > Yes

Ideal pet? > Dragon > Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight.

So I broke the rules and did more than one. Basically, when each option was equally as good, after completing a path, I backtracked to the equally good option and investigated that path.

The first book was The Crystal Cave, by Mary Stewart. For a few moments, I thought I may have rediscovered a book series I found once upon a time, read a few books of, but couldn't find again. Turns out it wasn't, but it prompted me to do another search, and this time I found them! The series was 'The Lost Years of Merlin', by T. A. Barron. Gonna have to read them now!

The next book was Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. I actually just finished reading that book this morning/last night. Not super fond of the style in which it was written, but I enjoyed the story. I look forward to watching the TV series at some point.

Then we landed on The Way of Kings - the first Brandon book I ever read, and what got me hooked on his works.

Lastly, we landed on The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Fiest. The first book (Magician) is probably my favourite book ever. All the other options at the same level as the riftwar saga are pretty good too (Mistborn, Shanarra series, Farseer is okay)

Paths:

Fantasy -> No -> No -> Yes -> Merlin -> The Crystal Cave, Mary Steward

Fantasy -> No (Harry Potter) -> No (Experienced) -> No (Authurian) -> No (Modern Day) -> No (Western) -> No (Animals) -> Yes  (Alternate History) -> Magicians -> Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel, Susanna Clarke

Fantasy -> No (Harry Potter) -> No (Experienced) -> No (Authurian) -> No (Modern Day) -> No (Western) -> No (Animals) -> No (Alternate History) -> Yes (Series) -> No (Completed) -> High -> Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

Fantasy -> No (Harry Potter) -> No (Experienced) -> No (Authurian) -> No (Modern Day) -> No (Western) -> No (Animals) -> No (Alternate History) -> Yes (Series) -> Yes (Completed) -> Yes (Trilogy) -> Magicians -> The Riftwar Saga, Raymond E. Feist

I'm really bad at making decisions, and I really like books, so here is my extensive list of books and the paths that I took to reach them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13pgEZts5JsNfYIOcZvvrn4Sh7bFDFfVs23ENyxtmByo/edit?usp=sharing

Green = Books I've read/am reading

Yellow = Books and/or Authors that I have heard of

Red = Books I have never heard of

I'm really bad at making decisions, and I really like books, so here is my extensive list of books and the paths that I took to reach them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13pgEZts5JsNfYIOcZvvrn4Sh7bFDFfVs23ENyxtmByo/edit?usp=sharing

Green = Books I've read/am reading

Yellow = Books and/or Authors that I have heard of

Red = Books I have never heard of

Just saying... You do realize, that out of 100, you chose 52?

Initially, I got Watership Down and Dragonflight, but I already read those, so I backtracked a bit. I then got The Eye of the World, which I have also read. At this point, I just kinda gave up and started looking at all the books.  :ph34r:

Well. I answered "yes" to all. I would gladly read/try all of them, especially that I actually already read most of them or have them on my "to read list". Of course, it's impossible for me to like them all, I would have some favourites, but it's not because I prefer some themes and motifs over the others. For me it depends on the book itself and how it's written not it strongly generalised content. I'll read everything, especially when it comes to fantasy and sci-fi. The only books that I would maybe hesitate a little, are the romance books, since romance is something I like a little less. But every other thing from the chart? Bring it on. 

Edited by Pestis the Spider

• Chaos locked this topic