About Mistwraiths

Jaaaaaade

I was reading AoL, and got up to Wax discussing his and Wayne's heritage. Namely that "nearly a fifth of the originators were Terris". This got me wondering, because the population never seemed that high. So my first question is, did Sazed create more Terrismen by reverting all the mistwraith back into human form?

In the final chapter, he does bring back flowers and animals, as well as fixing up human biology, undoing the adjustments to breathe in all that ash. Turning the mistwraiths human is well within his power, it's just not explicitly stated.

so then I flicked through all the chapter headings in HoA. The most relevant one is at the beginning Chapter 68:

When the Lord Ruler offered his plan to his Feruchemist friends- the plan to change them into mistwraiths- he was making them speak on behalf of all the lands Feruchemists. Though he changed his friends into kandra to restore their minds and memories, the rest he left as nonsentient mistwraiths. These bred more of their kind, living and dying, becoming a race unto themselves. From these children of the original mistwraiths, he made the next generations of kandra.

However, even gods can make mistakes, I have learned. Rashek, the lord Ruler, thought to transform all of the living Feruchemists into mistwraiths. However, he did not think of the genetic heritage left in the other Terris people, whom he left alive. So it was that Feruchemists continued being born, if only rarely.

This oversight cost him much, but gained the world so much more.

I've read on here that they just have a simple blockage between their Physical and Mental aspects, preventing them from conscious thought.

So how did TLR even make mistwraiths to begin with? This was well after the power in the Well ran out. It's just not something any of the metallic arts seem to be able to do. This could mean that there could be made mistwraith on other worlds.

also, how did they die? Old age you would presume, but kandra were functionally immortal, and they were made from the same stuff.

I assume the20% population came from the fact that the only people who survived were those in the caverns. Since the largest group of surviving Terrismen made their way to the Kandra homeland, which was certainly saved by Sazed.

Mistwraiths guys, as in the non-sentient gloops made of animal bits that were once Terrismen, but lack hemalurgic spikes.

"When the Lord Ruler offered his plan to his Feruchemist friends- the plan to change them into mistwraiths- he was making them speak on behalf of all the lands Feruchemists." 

This sentence throws everything out though. It says Lord Ruler, instead of Rashek. He's making the feruchemists speak. In the well, there's no time to talk to people and wait for a response. Either a) this is momentarily before he takes the well's power, and he's making his fellow packmen speak on behalf of all the land's feruchemists. This definitely means that his uncle wasn't there. It makes clear sense, but raises one question; how would he know that people could be turned into mistwraiths?

or B ) This is after he's used the well to reshape the world. He took the knowledge of how to make mistwraiths back with him. 

also, how does someone decline an offer after you've just turned them non-sentient? Should I go back an read the dialogue between Sazed and the First generation again? I'll go do that.

Edited by Jaaaaaade

http://twg.17thshard.com/index.php?topic=6655.msg129233#msg129233

2) What happened to Kwaan? I was half expecting to see him amongst the kandra First Generation.

2) Kwaan went into hiding, and he was eventually discovered and executed by Rashek.  He wasn't among the First Generation, though he would have been if he hadn't turned against Rashek.  Rashek kept the plate, however, just as he kept Alendi's logbook.  Partially because even then, Rashek was going a little mad, but partially because of the reminders about his old life they contained.

http://twg.17thshard.com/index.php?topic=6655.msg129248#msg129248

I'm assuming you meant Alendi hunted him down because he turned against Alendi. Or did Kwaan also turn against Rashek?

No, I meant that he turned against Rashek.  Remember, the members of the First Generation were offered immortality in exchange for their Hemalurgy .  They had to make this choice for all of the world's Feruchemists.  Because his uncle had been the one who gave Rashek the chance to become the Lord Ruler in the first place, Rashek blessed him and included him in the decision.  (Speaking directly into his mind along with the others during Rashek's moment of ascension.)

Rashek was the only one who turned down this offer, calling it a betrayal of who they were as a people.  Rashek could have just made him one anyway, but in a moment of anger, he tried to destroy Kwaan--which he couldn't do, not with Preservation's power.  As the other Feruchemists changed, Kwaan remained the same.  Rashek eventually hunted him down and killed him. 

I think the thing that's tripping you up is Sazed referring to him as both Rashek and the Lord Ruler interchangeably. In this case, the name doesn't refer to when he changed things. As the posts above me say, he simply created the mistwraiths while holding the power of the Well.

• Chaos locked this topic