I previously created this post as a joke, borrowing from the improbability drive in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy The theory: Perhaps Bendalloy contracts space-time, but it is just very hard to control so it sort of forms a bubble around you that doesn't have much form. If you could tweak your luck, the random bubble could be given direction and purpose allowing you to control the warp in space-time for FTL travel. While this idea is absurd, I believe there actually IS a way to control the warp in space-time, but I truly doubt Luck is the right way to do it. 

So we want something that combines Feruchemy, Allomancy, Bendalloy bubble compounding, and passing through an intact bendalloy bubble in a very specific and controlled manner. 

I'm pretty sure watching the bubbles is just a 'pay attention to lost energy' - they're just one of the better examples of it.

ERICPETERS (14 NOVEMBER 2011)

You mentioned friday night in #Seattle Allomacy has "FTL" built into it, any more hints you can share on how that would work

BRANDON SANDERSON (14 NOVEMBER 2011)

It involves where the lost energy from thermodynamic issues goes in certain Allomantic interactions.

Now if that lost energy ends up going to a physical location, then you'd have to uh... make everything in your ship qualify as 'lost energy', and wind up in the Big Galactic Recycle Bin, then fly to your nearest exit.

Non-atium metals get recycled in the long term as well, so uh... I guess that implies they effectively teleport somehow.  Technically if you eat your ship, burn it, and it reforms back on Scandrial you've managed to transport it. 

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

Storing or tapping physical speed as you go back and forth across a bubble barrier could do something weird, but I don't see it going FTL.

EDIT: In reply to Phantom's post above: You'd need a really big stomach to burn a spaceship. The atoms would get all jumbled up, just like in real teleportation experiments. If you carve your name onto an atium bead, and burn it, another bead won't reform with the same carving.

and I'm fairly sure that people inside won't get burnt up too. If they do, they're a very, very bad alloy.

Edited by Jaaaaaade

• Chaos locked this topic