speculation: Food-based Old Magic is ubiquitous

ecohansen

In my thread Speculation: Horneater Nuatoma have Lift-like magic , Weirywriter awesomely cited WoB that Lift is the only person with a nonstandard method of using stormlight.  But there are still two described magic systems on Roshar that don't have an obvious connection to Stormlight: The Nightwatcher, and the Purelakers' consumption of magic fish.  So, we have two food-based magics: Lift's Nightwatcher/(Cultivation(?))-mediated use of Stormlight, and the Purelakers' (probably Old Magic- related) consumption of fish.

And then we notice that several minor cultures in WoK are unusually devoted to food.  Specifically:

1. The Shin grant very high status to farmers (WoK Interlude 6)

2. Among the Unkaaki/Horneaters, first and second sons "make food", third sons are craftsmen, and fourth sons (if any) are soldiers. (WoK chapter 49)

3. All we know of the modern "blue skinned Natans" is that they gave information on chasmfiend hunting-grounds in exchange for "gifts of food". (WoK chapter 36)

4. The Marebethians feed criminals to greatshells, and these greatshells are noted as having "succulent flesh."   The Marebethians therefore perform indirect cannibalism.  (WoK chapter 40)

5. The Alethi male/female food-taboos are not descended from classical Vorinism, and might come from an Old Magical cultural substrate.

Could any or all of these cultures have a group practicing Purelake-like food magic?

I've not done a recent re-read of WoR--can anyone who has think of any cultures in that book that pay unusual attention to food, or have particularly strange eating habits?  How about any hints that any of the cultures listed above do in fact have non-stormlight-based magic?  How likely is it that the chef-scholar-Ardent Ashir is heading towards a major breakthrough in food-magic?

Nice. I think Brandon has stated something about magic fish.

He has:

[WeiryWriter's report]

WeiryWriter

Are the "magic fish" of the Purelake the result of symbiotic bonds with spren?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes they are.  Many creatures on Roshar have such interactions with spren.

tumblr_my0ov14lgw1sfbh10o1_1280.jpg

Note: This report was posted on Dec 18, 2013.

• Chaos locked this topic