High Imperial

WayneSpren

We all know about High Imperial; the "eastern street slang" that Spook speaks.

But in the Alloy of Law, it seems to be an official style of writing, indeed it is used as a fancy way of sending a message! 

How was this idea implemented? Did Spook start it or did Harmony tell the people through his books that it is a great language?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Post your ideas below! Also, I like upvotes.

My theory is that Spook taught it to his inner circle/children as a way for them to be able to talk "privately" in public, and after his death it became part of his Mythos.

When you're the legendary king of everything, whatever you speak is probably going to be an official language in court, high society, etc.

The Lord Ruler himself was somewhat of a fashion statement, and the main language in the Final Empire was supposedly a Terris dialect too.

• 2 weeks later...

We all know about High Imperial; the "eastern street slang" that Spook speaks.

But in the Alloy of Law, it seems to be an official style of writing, indeed it is used as a fancy way of sending a message! 

How was this idea implemented? Did Spook start it or did Harmony tell the people through his books that it is a great language?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Post your ideas below! Also, I like upvotes.

I think it was a joke on Spook's part.  He knew how confusing the language was and might have thought how amusing it would be if people in later generations took it as some kind of fancy official language.

I think it was a joke on Spook's part.  He knew how confusing the language was and might have thought how amusing it would be if people in later generations took it as some kind of fancy official language.

As if legal contracts were not confusing enough.

• Chaos locked this topic