New Dalinar Portrait, and more Kaladin to come

grantmhansen

I wrapped up a Dalinar portrait study recently with the intent of updating this:

Dalinar Kholin

It's been sitting on my digital easel for a while as I basically procrastinated getting into finishing up the uniform and such, but I eventually decided to just let it be a face study and move on with life. So without further ado, here's my interpretation of Dalinar Kholin, one of my absolute favorite literary characters EVER.

Dalinar Portrait

I feel good about this one, in that I feel like I'm learning and making progress with each portrait. It's fun/painful to look back and see where I came from, but hopefully I can keep up the growing and someday maybe Brandon will hire me to paint a piece or too ;)  (wink wink, Brandon Sanderson. Wink. Wink.)

Lastly, I wanted to throw in a little preview of the next piece of fanart that I'm starting into. It's just a rough sketch right now (and I mean seriously ROUGH), but it's starting to take the shape I want, and I figure that if I throw 'er in here, I'll be held a bit more accountable to actually get the thing done in a timely manner. 

It's a scene that I'm kinda hoping to make into part of a series, and it'll be called Kaladin, Healer - 1. To be followed by future Healer scenes, and then things like: Kaladin, Warrior or Radiant or Betrayed, or whatever. If y'all have good ideas for scenes or themes to mix into the series, I'd love to hear them!

Here's the rough:

post-13691-0-42697800-1433784887_thumb.j

p.s. When I previewed this post, the little rough drawing is SUPER tiny. Anyone know how to up the size of the thing? I couldn't figure it out...

Oh man. This is one of the best (if not THE best) pieces of fan art I have seen. Incredible. Just incredible.

Now I need to see your interpretation of characters from Warbreaker.

Edit: Have you put this in the Gallery?

Edited by Kipper

When you attach files directly to a post here, they get attached as clickable thumbnails if they are above certain size. So the thumbnail is super tiny, but when you click it, it turns full size. It's fine.

As for the portrait, massive improvement! I've always imagined him a little... broader, in both face and body, but this might be purely a personal interpretation. The quality of the art is easily in Top 5 Cosmere artists I've seen. Maybe Top 3.

Oh man. This is one of the best (if not THE best) pieces of fan art I have seen. Incredible. Just incredible.

Now I need to see your interpretation of characters from Warbreaker.

Edit: Have you put this in the Gallery?

When you attach files directly to a post here, they get attached as clickable thumbnails if they are above certain size. So the thumbnail is super tiny, but when you click it, it turns full size. It's fine.

As for the portrait, massive improvement! I've always imagined him a little... broader, in both face and body, but this might be purely a personal interpretation. The quality of the art is easily in Top 5 Cosmere artists I've seen. Maybe Top 3.

Wow. You have some serious skills. Never really pictured Dalinar with a full beard, but you have made it look good. The rough Kaladin sketch looks even better.

Thank you all so much!!  Argent, I'd love to know who your top 5 Cosmere artists are. Could you shoot out a list? =)

Kipper: I've definitely got it on my list to make fanart for Brandon's other books someday, including Warbreaker. Dunno what the timeline is on that (there's just SO MUCH to love and draw about the Stormlight Archives for me), but it'll certainly happen someday :) And yes, the Dalinar portrait is in the Gallery.

And Tyson: I've heard that a lot. Interestingly enough, I never imagined him without  a full beard. so funny/cool how there can be so many interpretations all based on the same description. That thur be good writing on Brandon's part. 

Edited by grantmhansen

Uh. I don't have an official list really. Plus, even if I could narrow it down, announcing the names on it implicitly insults any artist who is not there, and I don't want to do that. 

Uh. I don't have an official list really. Plus, even if I could narrow it down, announcing the names on it implicitly insults any artist who is not there, and I don't want to do that. 

O goodness, heh. Yeah, I definitely needed to be clearer with my question/intention there. Rather than really wanting an ordered list of who you think is the best, I'm just interested in seeing other great Cosmere art, finding some cool artists to follow, and seeing other takes on stories I adore. So sorry about dropping a tactlessly-phrased request in there. My bad :/ 

• Chaos locked this topic