Rogue Likes

guess

For those who don't know... most of these are free turn based RPGs. The basic premise is that dungeon levels are randomized and you have permadeath (most of them have 1 life. So you die you start over). They are designed to be very hard. You can backup your saves manually to 'scum' so you can avoid permadeath. This is good to do when you first learn the game, but the real challenge is in figuring out strategies.

Most of these use ASCII graphics. Some of them have mods where you can add some tile style graphics to them. The commands can be tricky to learn, however, most of the games use similiar commands so

Here are some that I like. There is a website called roguebasin.com that keeps a huge list of these games.

Which ones do you like?

Nethack: The original classic. This one has a version with graphics called 'falcons eye'. I don't like these graphics because its essential to have the wiki open to get anywhere in the game and I only saw a full screen version. Though it has ASCII graphics it has incredible depth. I recommand a Dwarf Valkyrie if your new to the game. Read how to start it in the wiki (just google it).

There are quite a few 'variants' of this that fans have development. Most of them make the game harder. I'd start with vanilla Nethack. You absolutely need the wiki to play.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead: The original developer of this moved on. So people who mod it took it over. They just put up a wiki. Its a zombie survival game. However, it has so much more that just zombies. Very good crafting system. The guys who took it over are adding alot of content. They just put up the wiki. you may want to check out both the new and old forum for tips. The is the most detailed survival type game I have seen.

Don't Starve: Goal is don't die. This is commercial. It costs like $12. It has cartoon graphics. You can play the demo in chrome for about 20 minutes. The full version is up for sale on Steam. It is alot of fun. No way to scum in this one.

Tales of the Maj'eyal (also called Tome 4): This has a nice 2d graphics engine on top of it. This game you can play in a mode that gives multiple lives. Vast numbers of race/class combos. To make the game more accessible many class/races are unlocked as you get farther in the game. So its less confusing. Forums have very good instructions by fans with strategies. Due to the 2d graphics this one is more accessible than other rogue likes.

Nice auto-explore feature so you don't have to click as much. Took me about 30 tries just to get to level 30 (there are 50 levels total). I still have not unlocked everything.

Best feature is that there is an in game chat. So though the game is single player you can talk to other players and ask questions while you play. It is also more forgiving because you get multiple (but limited lives).

Ancient Domains of Mystery (Adom): Development restarted through a kickstarter effort. Incredibly complex. Vast numbers of commands. I recommend playing other rogue likes first to get used to the commands. I also recommend playing the 1.1 version if you are not paying for the game. He has released 1.2 prelrease 5 for the public, however, this has alot of bugs. you have to pay $40 to get newer versions. Note that the 1.2 version basically makes the game harder. The hardcore fans thought it was too easy.

Angband: Old school dungeon bash. Vast number of 'variants'. I'd recommend playing the vanilla version to get used to it. The variants don't always have alot of documentation.

Dungeons of Dredmore: Commercial (costs $10 on steam). Tons of mods. Has graphics. Found the inventory management really annoying. Its all images but I can't keep track of what the images look like. Plus it only has a mouse for moving items around in the pack. I'd prefer a list. Good crafting system.

• 1 month later...

I have FTL. It is ok.

Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead(free). The guys developer it are constantly adding new features. It is a zombie survival game with incredible depths. Very deep crafting system. You can even build cars. Very strategic game. Has a very interesting rpg system.

http://www.cataclysmdda.com/

-- injuries/encumbrance based on location on body. Wear a backpack, can't dodge as well. so might want to fight with a bow.

-- can craft just about anything including cars, weapons, pots,cooking.

-- need to eat and drink. need to boil water or get sick

-- illness. need to take dayquil/nyquil to cure flue.

-- good/bad trait. may need to wear glasses to see. if glases break you can't see. might have asthma and need an inhaler.

-- drugs help, but get addicted.

-- lots of weapons

-- large number of skills. non-level based. you train skills

-- large numbers of survival aspects. can get cold. so can't sleep. need a blanket. seasons. so winter is rough.

-- lots of different types of mobs. lots of zombie types, giant worms/ants, cougars, bears, etc...

-- lots of special locations to explore

they have new releases every few weeks. its open source so if you can code, you can help. good wiki and forums for questions.

Don't Starve: Commercial rogue like. on steam. cartoon graphics. You are dropped in the woods. don't die. very complex craftng system.

• 1 month later...

Elona: Roguelike rpg with tile based cartoon graphics. The Elona+ variant is the one being currently developed. Again its free. When you google 'elona' and go to the wiki, there will be a link to Elona+ (its just elona with more of the world developed and new features) .Download site is in japanese. Internet Explorer should give you an option to translate the page.

Dont be fooled by the low end graphics. The game is insanely detailed. It is also evil. They saying about this game is that 'this game hates you and will make you hate it'. Its not fair. you will die in unfair ways. Highly recommended that you not have any readily available firearms present or you may shoot your screen. The game actually laughs and makes fun of you when you die. It tries to kill you. Has an only chat that makes fun of other people when they die (but its single player).

The interface takes some getting used to it. It uses keyboard mainly. At first its not entirely obvious. See wiki for starter guide and about the keys.

you can be stoned to death for playing a piano in a tavern.

you can have alien eggs get into your body from drinking from the wrong well and then burst out of you and kill you (this evil. you wont know when you do this and it wont happen for a while so you waste time).

the game is just mean. Its also what makes it fun and very challenging. If you see the 'lets play' on youtube. they all talk abou how hard and unfair and evil the game is.