Something about Dalinar's visions

Vortaan

Rereading WoK again, and something about Dalinar's visions struck me as odd. We know his physical body doesn't go anywhere, and that he is connected enough to it to be speaking and thrashing around. So the question I have is, when he summons his Shardblade in the visions, why doesn't it translate to summoning it in the real world? Might mean nothing, but it's an oddity.

We discussed it here, if you want to peruse. Dalinar actually never succeeds in summoning a Shardblade in his visions: it simply doesn't come when he tries to summon it.

That I understand, I'm curious as to why. I'll check the link, but what do the visions do that disconnect a Shardbearer from their connection to their Blade? You'd expect him to be thrashing about, Blade in hand.

EDIT: Read the post. Interesting ideas. It's odd though that he's connected enough to talk, but not connected enough to summon his Blade. Or do you need to hold your hand out to summon a Blade? I remember them tying Dalinar down.

EDIT OF EDIT!: Also I'd provide quotes but I'm reading on my Iphone at the moment and pages be all weird.

Edited by Vortaan

^I theorized either that Honor messed with his spiritweb's connection to the Blade or that Adolin was of the habit of kicking the deathbeam out of the crazy person's hand as it formed. Presumably, he wouldn't have mentioned this disturbing fact to his already disturbed father.

Alternatively, it could be that the way Dalinar's consciousness is messed with messes with the Physical/Cognitive cues that normally summon a Shardblade, or some other reason.

EDIT (reply to edit): It may be that simple, actually. Or maybe it's that Dalinar's connection to his body is only one-way at that point: he doesn't feel himself hitting up against the ropes, so he can't feel his heartbeats. If it's no that simple, it may have something to do with what "body" he's in the in the visions.

Question of the day: would a Feruchemist be able to tap his metalmind, or an Allomancer burn a metal, while experiencing one of these visions?

Edited by Kurkistan

I don't think you can fill metalminds while asleep, so I don't see a reason why you'd be able to tap them.

Bronze is the only metalmind you can fill while "asleep". And there's debate about whether it really counts as sleep.

I think unconsciously burning pewter or tapping a goldmind is about all you can do without conscious effort.

^Conscious effort isn't a problem, I don't think. It's probably more like something you just do. Like how you brace against the weight when you're carrying something: sure, you need to do it "conscously", but it doesn't exactly require constant mental attention. Wax walked around storing Weight every second of his life, essentially.

^Yeah, besides that. The point is that it doesn't strain him to store Weight.

Ah, fair enough then.

Personally I kind of think that storing wakefulness seems like kind of a ripoff.  If you spend eight hours sleeping, you gain 16 hours of wakefulness out.  On the other hand, if you spend 8 hours storing wakefulness with feruchemy, you get 8 hours (or less!) of wakefulness.

It seems odd that it's a time-dependant thing, instead of just draining you and leaving you sleepy immediately.

Can anyone explain why "devils" mentioned in the ch of highway to the sun. The time period is definitely after defeating d voidbringers .Or were they still there during the recreance. Or am i misreading into it.

@Phantom

Try to look at it another way, then. For every 8 hours of sleep you get, you get 16 hours of wakefulness, as you said. When you fill a Bronzemind, then, you are storing some of those 16 hours. So if you spend 8 hours asleep, 8 hours storing Wakefulness, and 8 hours living your life each day, it would be because you "used up" 8 hours by storing them.

It really has to work this way because of how Feruchemy works: you can't store "futures", you can only store what you have. So you can't decide on Monday to store a tenth of your health for the rest of the week, and then spend the weak irrevocably unhealthy: you have to actively be storing that health at every moment of the following week.

When you store Wakefulness, then, you aren't sleeping and storing the future benefits of that sleep, you're giving up X hours of "awake time" that you already earned through sleep the previous night.

You ask why it has to be 1:1: why can't you just wake up, store an entire day's worth of Wakefulness in 1 minute, then sleep for another 8 hours? In that case, we have to look to how the "100% storage rule" applies to Wakefulness. It seems that the lowest you can go is 0% awake, i.e. asleep. You can do anything between 100 and 0%, like being a bit drowsy, but, moment to moment, you only have 1 "unit of wakefulness" available to store.

Look at bendalloy, though. Let's say you spend a day drinking a hundred liters of water and filling up your bendalloymind.

At the end of the day you're still at normal hydration, even though you drank most of niagra falls. If you then go into a desert and get really thirsty, you can tap your bendalloymind and refresh yourself - and you'll stay refreshed even after you've stopped tapping.

It would be far more useful for Bronze to be storing 'mental energy' or 'sleep'. (IE: you sleep while storing bronze and end up getting less rested, but you can later tap for extra hours of sleep). As is, you're always going to end up with a worse ratio of time spent conscious to time spent unconscious. Which seems kinda unbalanced.

The whole 'you go into a trance, neither getting more tired nor less' is very different from how feruchemy normally works as well. The entire ability is bizarre.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

• Chaos locked this topic