Odium, Shards, and the Knights Radiant

cleric

I have been thinking a lot on my most recent read of the way of kings as to why the knights gave up their shards. A few Ideas combined in my head as possibilities.

1) Sil does not like shards. she is glad that Dalinar has given up his shard blade. However during the time of the Knights radiant all of the knights wore shard plate and had shard blades. And if all of the knights were bound to spren then at some point they did not hate the shards. what changed?

2) Odium. From what I have seen no one knows exactly what Odiums power is. We know he can kill other shard holders and that he is a destructive force but not how. My guess is corruption. He can turn something on its self. That way he would not have to directly confront another shard holder but slowly turn their own power back on them in a destructive way.

3) Could it then be possible that odium was corrupting the Knights through their shards? Similar to how Ruin took control of Inquisitors and Kandra. I am going off of the assumption that the Knights didnt betray mankind and that their abandoning of the shards was a way of depriving Odium of powerful instruments. Similar to the Kandra final resolution.

The Knights could have realized that they were being corrupted slowly by Odium through the shards and decided to abandon them to protect. The shards still have remnants of Odium's corruption. This is why Sil hates them.

It fits with the oathpact as well. I find it strange that the desolations seem to end every time people stop fighting. After the herolds leave, after the Knights depart, the desolations stop. Its almost as if when there is no one to fight against the desolations they do not happen.

The Parshendi killed Gavilar because he was unifying the land. If the land is unified then Odium would return to tear it apart.

Still early in my working my way through the details. But I think the idea has possibilities. All looping around Odium being Corruption.

You could well be right, ive been wondering about the day of recreance myself and trying to puzzle out whether Honor died around that time or not, events wise it would make most sense for Honor to die on the day that the Oathpact ended or the day or Recreance, however thats assuming that we arent over-thinking things.

The Shards themselves might not have been corrupted while in the KR's hands, but while they served mortal man all Odium would need to do would be to corrupt the High Princes, which would lead to KR being pitted against Man or other KR...

and with the failure of the Knights Radiant then the last developed remnant of Honor on Roshar died, add centuries of those weapons being used for evil purposes and they could well be tainted.

Remember though that The Kadra, Koloss and Inquisitors were created using Hemalurgy which was the power of Ruin, I doubt Honor would make the same mistake in creating weapons for the Knights Radiant out of Odiums power. Unless that was part of the pact between Odium and Honor.

SPOILERS HERE - SA2 READINGS AND WOK SPOILERS IN THIS POST

I have been thinking a lot on my most recent read of the way of kings as to why the knights gave up their shards. A few Ideas combined in my head as possibilities.

Your theory certainly has some legs... I do have some comments though

1) Sil does not like shards. she is glad that Dalinar has given up his shard blade. However during the time of the Knights radiant all of the knights wore shard plate and had shard blades. And if all of the knights were bound to spren then at some point they did not hate the shards. what changed?

Not much to say here, definitely agree that something must have happened to make Syl dislike Dalinar's Shardblade. Although I think we need to caveat that she has only expressed hatred for that one and not necessarily for all blades.

2) Odium. From what I have seen no one knows exactly what Odiums power is. We know he can kill other shard holders and that he is a destructive force but not how. My guess is corruption. He can turn something on its self. That way he would not have to directly confront another shard holder but slowly turn their own power back on them in a destructive way.

I kind of like this. Seems fitting with what we know of Odium's nature. Although with the limited information we have, anything is pure speculation at this point.

3) Could it then be possible that odium was corrupting the Knights through their shards? Similar to how Ruin took control of Inquisitors and Kandra. I am going off of the assumption that the Knights didnt betray mankind and that their abandoning of the shards was a way of depriving Odium of powerful instruments. Similar to the Kandra final resolution.

The Knights could have realized that they were being corrupted slowly by Odium through the shards and decided to abandon them to protect. The shards still have remnants of Odium's corruption. This is why Sil hates them.

Don't think I can get behind this one... If I was a KR and I found out that the great enemy was corrupting me using Shards, would I really give those Shards to other people? I mean I would lock them away where Odium could not corrupt anyone. I certainly would not give them people with no training or discipline and give Odium a chance to corrupt them instead.

I have never bought the Odium corruption of shardblades throry myself. I think that Syl hates a blade (an instrument meant to protect and save mankind) that is stained with the blood of innocents. In a world where actions mean so much, I can see how using a Shardblade for personal power and indescriminate killing would leave a mark / stain. I think That is what Syl hates rather than any corruption of Odium. (just my personal theory though)

It fits with the oathpact as well. I find it strange that the desolations seem to end every time people stop fighting. After the herolds leave, after the Knights depart, the desolations stop. Its almost as if when there is no one to fight against the desolations they do not happen.

The Parshendi killed Gavilar because he was unifying the land. If the land is unified then Odium would return to tear it apart.

Not sure about this... the KR have been present and strong prior to several previous desolations. Also there has been almost no stop war on Roshar for several centuries so if conflict caused the desolations it would have happened by now.

I am sure that Honor, in Dalinar's vision say that Oium has been waiting deliberately to let humanity become weak.

Also, from the SA 2 readings we know that the Parshendi were trynig to prevent Gavilar raising their evil gods not because he was trying the unite Alethkar.

Still early in my working my way through the details. But I think the idea has possibilities. All looping around Odium being Corruption.

Generally I like the Odium = corruption angle but not sure about some of the details.

Also, from the SA 2 readings we know that the Parshendi were trynig to prevent Gavilar raising their evil gods not because he was trying the unite Alethkar.

And what I think OP was suggesting is that the two are directly connected in some way, i.e., Odium striking when Alethkar tries to reunite. Do I agree with the idea? Not entirely, but I do think it may have some merit and be worth considering.

I am sure that Honor, in Dalinar's vision say that Oium has been waiting deliberately to let humanity become weak.

I thought that Honor said something along those lines. That Odium had realized he didnt need to fight man kind as they were destroying them selves.

And while the second books reading said that they killed Gavilar to prevent the return of their old gods, we dont know exactly how he would bring them back or what exactly their old gods are. So It could be that his unification of Roshar is the trigger for the old gods returning. The old gods could either be Odium which doesnt exactly fit as Odium is singular, or the Voidbringers.

I know there are a lot of holes in the theory in general but Im having fun with the possibilities. having to wait so long for the next book is driving me up a wall.

• Chaos locked this topic