Hoid's reaction to Shallan

Stormwalker

Random speculation:

Maybe the "I did not expect to find you here." line is foreshadowing that Shallan is actually a reincarnated person from Hoid's past. Hoid knows who she is but Shallan herself doesn't. Not sure how I'd feel about reincarnation being in Brandon's books if that turned out to be true.

That is a very interesting point!!!!

I have also been playing around with that idea, Shallan i think is based off a character from 'Liar of Partinel' (Hoids background)

so she may have reminded him of her? That's entirely if it's Canon.

I think a rebirth would be possible, Brandon has stated that each Shardworld has a afterlife but i think reincarnation is entirely plausible.

I think a rebirth would be possible, Brandon has stated that each Shardworld has a afterlife but i think reincarnation is entirely plausible.

It's absolutely possible, as Kelsier talking to Spook in HoA proves (HoA Annotations) that a very real and interactive something remains after death. But in that same series of Annotations Brandon says he doesn't want to bring back characters often, if at all, because it starts to cheapen death pretty quickly. (If any of you watch Supernatural, you'll know what I mean)

I kind of had the vague impression that Hoid was in part surprised by Shallan because of something Heleran had told him.

“Your father is slowly destroying your family,” the messenger said. “Your brother was right on that count. He was wrong about everything else.”

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 526). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

We know that Heleran sought out the Skybreakers and from Lift's interlude we know that the Skybreakers as they exist now are actually hunting down surge binders.  I have the feeling whatever Heleran was wrong about is somehow related to Shallan's surge binding.

It is possible that while doing this favor for Heleran he had not expected to be sent to a surgebinder. I would guess that Heleran was wrong about the strength of his sisters will. The whole family did treat her like a broken doll which she was when Heleran left. Shallan was changing and growing in strength by the time Hoid arrived

• Chaos locked this topic