Looking For A Forgotten Fantasy Serie

Wisshard

Hello,

I'm looking for a fantasy series that I read when I was young and which I can't remember the name of. I don't recall much about it but I'll outline what I can.

• There were two human "races" with supernatural abilities in the world. One, the good guys, lives in forests and had the ablity to bond with an animal, creating a telepathic link with it. In the past this ability was much more powerful but time and interbreeding has diminished it. The other "race", generally antagonists, I can't recall much of, except that I think they were referred to as witches and the name of them starting with an "i".
  • The story mainly follows the kingdom in which the animal-bonders mentioned above live in and it's conflicts with the kingdom the other supernatural race live in.
  • The main character in the first book is a young woman who is partly a normal human and partly descended from the animal-bonders. She has grown up among normal humans but some incident happens at the start of the book and she is rescued by one of the animal-bonders. The animal-bonders blood in her is strong and she is eventually able to talk to all familars.
  • The chieftain of the animal-bonder in the first book is named Duncan, and he has bonded a hawk. He eventually marries the young woman mentioned above, and he has a belligerent brother whose name starts with "f".

I realize it's not much to go on (it's been over 13 years since I read the series), but it's been nagging me for some time now and I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask in the (slight) hope that it'll ring a bell for someone.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.