Theory:vasher

KamorianKandra

I have a theory that Vasher is allies or friends with Hoid.

I believe this for a few reasons.

The first is that he is a Worldhopper, and I think Hoid taught him how to do this.

Also, he has been on Roshar for around 10 years. We don't know exactly how long Hoid has been on Roshar, but it is very likely that he has been there around the same time. Obviously he can't just go to Roshar and become Wit. So I think they arrived around the same time. 

Finally, Vasher has been on the Shattered Plains, and so we can presume that he has seen Hoid there. If he was part of the 17th Shard, Galladon, Demoux and Blunt wouldn't have had to search for him. 

Therefore, I think he is Hoid's friend (possibly watching out for the 17th Shard).

We can't necessarily assume Vasher has seen Wit/Hoid, as Hoid has a tendency to only be seen by those he allows. 

My personal theory is that Vasher is searching for Nightblood, but there's no real evidence to support that.

Maybe he could be getting Nightblood for Hoid to use as a weapon, if they were friends. Or maybe to give to the Seventeenth. 

Edited by Lord Pifferdoo

I have a theory that Vasher is allies or friends with Hoid.

I believe this for a few reasons.

The first is that he is a Worldhopper, and I think Hoid taught him how to do this.

Also, he has been on Roshar for around 10 years. We don't know exactly how long Hoid has been on Roshar, but it is very likely that he has been there around the same time. Obviously he can't just go to Roshar and become Wit. So I think they arrived around the same time. 

Finally, Vasher has been on the Shattered Plains, and so we can presume that he has seen Hoid there. If he was part of the 17th Shard, Galladon, Demoux and Blunt wouldn't have had to search for him. 

Therefore, I think he is Hoid's friend (possibly watching out for the 17th Shard).

While this is not an unreasonable guess, I'd hardly say it's a "theory" at this point. There's not much to support it. If I had to guess, I'd say there's a near 100% chance that Hoid at least knows OF Vasher... But probably only 50/50 on whether Vasher even knows OF Hoid and an even lower chance that they know each other (IMO).

Kaladin does ask Vasher about Hoid and he does know him, and has a poor opinion of him:

Kaladin stood in the rain. "Do you know where the King's Wit is?"

"That fool, Dust? Not here, blessedly. Why?"

Edited by WeiryWriter

Lots of people know Wit. Most people don't know Hoid. I don't see anything in that response that makes me think there's more to it than that. 

Vasher refers to him as "Dust" which is one of Hoid's preferred pseudonyms. Brandon used it, instead of Hoid, in early drafts of Warbreaker, before deciding he didn't want to confuse people by using a different name.

I guess my theory's probably not correct. Oh well, it was decent for a first theory.

By the way, feel free to write your theories on why Vasher is on Roshar.

Vasher is on Roshar because it is easier (and less morally icky) to get Stormlight than Breath.

Vasher refers to him as "Dust" which is one of Hoid's preferred pseudonyms. Brandon used it, instead of Hoid, in early drafts of Warbreaker, before deciding he didn't want to confuse people by using a different name.

Interesting. Didn't know about that history of the name. I always thought it was a weird epithet that Vasher had picked up like, "That fool, Moron!" or something... so that does point to a potential awareness of Hoid that Vasher has (I agree with you as to the purpose of Vasher being here in the first place, however).

I think Vasher should definitely know of Hoid as Hoid, and should know he's a worldhopper too. Hoid has enough Breath to reach Perfect Pitch, or the Second Heightening at the least. Vasher, a Nalthian who picks up on even the faintest of color auras due to Breath, would have definitely noticed. In addition, if Vasher ever had the First Heightening (very, very likely) or "awoke" his Divine Breath while Wit was around he'd see Hoid's Breath count due to Aura Recognition. Honestly, given they are both at the Plains with direct contact with the Kholins I'd be shocked if they hadn't run into each other. As for whether their relationship goes back to Nalthis, we don't know (dang it Brandon, publish Nightblood already!), though it wouldn't surprise me. I'm less certain of whether Hoid taught Vasher to hop, though. It doesn't seem like something Hoid would do.

I think Vasher should definitely know of Hoid as Hoid, and should know he's a worldhopper too. Hoid has enough Breath to reach Perfect Pitch, or the Second Heightening at the least. Vasher, a Nalthian who picks up on even the faintest of color auras due to Breath, would have definitely noticed. In addition, if Vasher ever had the First Heightening (very, very likely) or "awoke" his Divine Breath while Wit was around he'd see Hoid's Breath count due to Aura Recognition. Honestly, given they are both at the Plains with direct contact with the Kholins I'd be shocked if they hadn't run into each other. As for whether their relationship goes back to Nalthis, we don't know (dang it Brandon, publish Nightblood already!), though it wouldn't surprise me. I'm less certain of whether Hoid taught Vasher to hop, though. It doesn't seem like something Hoid would do.

For all we know Hoid could be hiding his color aura with Lightweaving, so even an Awakener might not be able to notice it.

For all we know Hoid could be hiding his color aura with Lightweaving, so even an Awakener might not be able to notice it.

Good point. We have no idea how Yolish Lightweaving works. I'm curious if it could absorb the aura of the Second Heightening to make it not noticeable.

Umm... or Hoid might just have perfect pitch through natural means. Some people are more or less born with it, and arguably it can be developed. Music seems pretty important to him, so I'm sure Hoid's had enough time to learn the skill if he set himself to it.

That seems overly complicated, but it's not unlikely.

Umm... or Hoid might just have perfect pitch through natural means. Some people are more or less born with it, and arguably it can be developed. Music seems pretty important to him, so I'm sure Hoid's had enough time to learn the skill if he set himself to it.

We know that is not the case due to one of Hoids statements from the chapter in WoR where he comments on the Novelty of perfect pitch. His remark implies that this ability is still some what new to him.

I would guess that both Hoid and Vasher's purposes align somewhat. But I doubt their working together. theres something about Vasher's that makes me think of Nalan/Darkness. He has similar traits to a Skybreaker, (also sounds a lot like Warbreaker) ;)

In addition to what Lord Tavash Star said, Warbreaker heavily implied, if it didn't down right say it, that True Perfect Pitch, Perfect Color Recognition, and Perfect Life Sense are beyond natural human capabilities.

I never really understood why those three got lumped together in the heightening scale. Lifesense apparently picks up spren too, but not drabs, so it's assumed to be an investiture radar of sorts.

The other two can be left to wave frequency, but investiture by itself seems fairly inert. I guess most other visualizations of manipulated investiture are in the form of pulses. . . oh. Guess it does check out.

I gotta think aloud in text more. Always come up with weird things like that.

• Chaos locked this topic