Anti-investiture: A Useful Term?

Windrunner

Investiture is not a connection to a Shard that allows someone to use a Shard's energy. Investiture is that energy itself. With it, it does bring a connection to the Shard it is derived from, but that is more of a side effect. It is not some key. Investiture is spiritual energy. Here's a quote where Brandon confirms it to be energy, not an access key. I think what you're looking for, the ability to draw a Shard's energy through the realms would be found in a person's spiritual DNA (or sDNA as we typically abbreviate it).

Thank you. I never was sure what Investiture was, I had only heard it referenced by my friends and in forums, so I had always assumed that it was the actual ingots of power like the Metalurgic metals, Stormlight, Breath, etc. Thank you for clarifying that.

There was a thread a year or two ago discussing possible fanon terms for Cosmere magic users. I think Invested Beings was one proposal, but I don't think there was a consensus among the participants. Anyway, I really don't see anything wrong with describing Elantrians, Dakhor monks, Hemalurgic creatures, and Knights Radiant as Invested, because they are obviously imbued with power. Allomancers and Surgebinders are even explicitly described by Brandon as persons who've had the cracks in their souls filled with a Shard's power. Of course, there are manifestations of Investiture that don't require the users themselves to be Invested (e.g. fabrial users, Forgers, etc.), and it might not be best to use the term "Invested" for those.

Fascinating discussion, guys. I personally don't have strong feelings for or against non-canon terms like "anti-Investiture", as I have my own list of non-canon terms that I use, but it's fun to read these kinds of threads from time to time. :)

How about "Cracked"?

We could call persons with the correct pattern of soul fractures "Cracked" - meaning one who has the potential to have the cracks filled in and  access investiture.

I personally would find it very ironic and amusing if Kelsier "Cracked" when he snapped allomantically (please note that "Snapped" is a term from Scadrial, specific to only allomancy, and is not necessarily accurate since allomantic abilities come from fissures in the soul [which I interpret to be gaps in sDNA where investiture can get a foothold], and not a complete snapping of the soul) at the Pits of Hathsin.

Overseer - "Who's that?"

Laborer - "Kelsier milord."

Overseer - "What is he doing?"

Laborer - "I don't rightly know... he's Cracked, that one is!"

Wow, I've apparently stayed up past my bedtime if that's what passes for humour.

If anti-investiure is a thing, I would say it should be relatedto  that anti-adonalsium force WOB told us some time ago. I believe that force is still effecting world somehow and might be the cause of investiture negating stuff in various magic systems.

As pertains to the questions of Investiture:

"Q: What you can tell me about Investiture?

A: That is the word for someone or something which has gained a portion of the magic of Adonalsium, so the original whatever-it-is. Like a Shardblade is an Invested object, and people if they draw in the Stormlight, they're drawing in the magic-they're Invested.

Q: What is the realmatic composition of Investiture?

A: Investure is intended to be the building blocks of the Cosmere so I would say for the most part it transcends the different realms. Probably more of the spiritual if anything but more accurately it transcends them."

• 2 weeks later...

What class would Nalan's stormlight sapping stuff fall under?

I think it's the thing that Rysn found on the Reshi Isles, the "thing that should have died with Aimia but survived". Perhaps...mmm..in the way that Hemalurgy works, like Curiosity said, although it does seem similar to Nightblood's Sapping of Breaths.

I have a feeling that there's going to be a gratuitous scene where someone tries to Soulcast a block of aluminum.

"I am aluminum."

I don't think that'll work, though. Aluminum only takes away Allomancy, not Stormlight...huh.

Edited by WeiryWriter
please do not double post, use the multiquote feature

• Chaos locked this topic