the Stick's Popularity (Minor WoR Spoilers)

RawToast225

So.... Why is the stick so popular? I was shocked to see a whole chapter dedicated to its mind on Brandon's page a few months ago and looked for a reason for it. In an interview he said he was surprised by people wanting to see more of the stick as well. Why? Why is it so damnation popular? Is it because we celebrate the failure of Shallan? That would make sense, except most of you people like her. Is it because the stick is just so gosh darn loveable?

Because we can all relate to his inner journey--initial confidence in who you are, followed by the world saying that you need to change. We all have a choice between bending ourselves to the will of society and accepting ourselves for who we really are. The Stick is the incarnation of staying strong and being true to yourself, and that struck a chord with readers.

(Actually, I think it was just how hilarious that scene was. It was unexpected and absurdly humorous compared to the rest of the book, and so saying "I am a stick" started to become a favorite quote on the forum. One joke led to another, and an entire meme sprung forth from the one little scene. Such is the way of the Internet. :))

I found it kind of funny when I first read it, but I was actually pretty surprised to find out how popular it was in-forum when I first came here.

Moreover, Kobold King is completely incorrect. The idea that bending oneself to society's rules is painful or undesirable goes strongly against the overall theme of The Stormlight Archive. In fact, I'd argue that this motif is weakened by The Stick's obstinance. Instead of this rebellious character being shown in a positive light, Stick is consistently shown throughout the book (through metaphor) as a negative character. A bad Samaritan, if you will. When Stick refused to assist Shallan in her hour of need, the slavers, the ultimate symbols of giving in to society's moral deprecation, did. Remember that, and don't make ridiculous, unfounded assumptions regarding literary themes.  <_<

Edited by mckeedee123

i thought the stick thing was long buried but it looks like it sprouted again

Yeah. It always seems to be sticking its branches where it doesn't belong. And just when we thought we were "tree" of it. It just needs to "leave" us alone.

I'll be here all week, folks.

While the whole stick obsession never "took root" with me...it seems like other fans find it "growing" on them.  I wish that I could just "bark" at people until they stop...but some things just "refuse to change".  I feel that the "staff" in particular are reluctant to "switch" to a different weird obsession.  It probably "stems" from a fear of "branching" out.    Maybe if this "post" had a "pole" attached...we could figure out why the stick is so "poplar".  I hate  to be a "birch" about it...but "shoot"...can we just stop "pine-ing" over the stick already?

While the whole stick obsession never "took root" with me...it seems like other fans find it "growing" on them.  I wish that I could just "bark" at people until they stop...but some things just "refuse to change".  I feel that the "staff" in particular are reluctant to "switch" to a different weird obsession.  It probably "stems" from a fear of "branching" out.    Maybe if this "post" had a "pole" attached...we could figure out why the stick is so "poplar".  I hate  to be a "birch" about it...but "shoot"...can we just stop "pine-ing" over the stick already?

Ah, it's times like this when one wishes that one had not exhausted one's downvote quota. One wishes for that ineffable feeling, the satisfaction of a job well done.

Ah well, there's always tomorrow.

*Calls for a standing ovation*

mckeedee gets an up vote for recognizing genius...

How's this: I'll stand and just facepalm over and over.

(everyone's a critic)...I'll have you know sir...that I have never down voted anyone...even with your harsh words...I'm not even tempted to make you my first...

mckeedee gets an up vote for recognizing genius...

(everyone's a critic)...I'll have you know sir...that I have never down voted anyone...even with your harsh words...I'm not even tempted to make you my first...

The only person I downvote is Kobold King, because he posted a thread that was for downsizing him. I hit my quota on that.

How many times a day can you cast a down vote anyway? (by the way...root beet is totally the best soda ever...just sayin')

I don't know. Maybe I'll count sometime.

Btw, I'm going to start a Root Beer Guild, so be on the lookout on Sunday or Monday.

I don't know. Maybe I'll count sometime.

Btw, I'm going to start a Root Beer Guild, so be on the lookout on Sunday or Monday.

I may not agree with the necessity of a group dedicated to root beer, but since you're doing it anyway I will join. It's the greatest thing. I love it almost as much as you do.

I may not agree with the necessity of a group dedicated to root beer, but since you're doing it anyway I will join. It's the greatest thing. I love it almost as much as you do.

Don't talk about it anymore. It's a secret until a couple days from now (well not anymore). I might need help advertizing, though, in a few days....

Come on, stick with the program, or am I going to have to stick you with my stick?!

Because just one stick is so easy to break, but if all us sticks stick together, we are strong!

Stick with me and we can get out of any sticky situation.

Here, stick this sticker on your stuck finger.

I promise not to stick you with the bill for all the sticks of gum and glue sticks.

Because the stick is more effective than the carrot.

I ate drumsticks and a stuck pig in my stick house in the sticks!

Stick to your principles or stick a fork in it!

My hair really sticks up when I'm in a stick up.

I use a hockey stick for my walking stick.

I'm sticking this away now, before I use up my memory stick.

(by the way...root beet is totally the best soda ever...just sayin')

what is this "root beet" soda?  m've had root BEER, and i'm a fan of it.  but root beet?  hmmm...i smell another clever conspiracy led by my girlfriend to try and get me to eat/consume vegetables.  well, you know what?  I'M ON TO YOU!!  AND IT WON'T WORK!!!!