Shards and Humans

Turos

If Adonalsium was so awesome, the power of creation, why does it seem to need people? Can the Shards not function or exhibit their powers without a host?

Also, do shards gain/lose power as humans show more or less of their Intent in themselves?

I've got a theory on why Shards need people that I've yet to post in its entirety. I answered a question like this a bit ago, so I hope you don't mind if I copy and paste my reply from that topic, since I think I did a pretty good job explaining my idea.

This whole theory hinges on how I view the Congnitive Realm. I think that it is a sort of overlap between the Physical and Spiritual Realms, the place where they interact. An object needs to have both Physical and Spiritual aspects for a Cognitive aspect to form, in my opinion. So a Shard, comprised mostly of spiritual energy, has very very little physical to it, at least in proportion to the massive amount of spiritual energy they contain. So not much of a Cognitive aspect ends up forming, nothing beyond that will to follow its intent. But, once it picks up someone to hold it, that person brings enough physical, as well as their own Cognitive, to sort of complete the entity that is the Shard, and allow its full power to be used.

I have a theory concerning this problem. I believe Shards are some kind of Aether. Aethers have only appeared once, in Liar of Partinel sample chapters.

What I Know About Aethers

Existed Pre-Shattering.

Need a host.

Grant hosts abilities.

Have their own thoughts (not unlike Nightblood)but share host's mind.

Aethers have a sense for other aethers.

They also lose strength when transferred from one host to the next.

My Assumptions

1. Aethers consist of a Mind/Intent and a Spirit/Power without a Physical Body.
  2. We will discover Shards behave much like aethers.
  3. Hoid has an aether
  4. Aethers may be able to fuel any power in the Cosmere.

Edited by Prince

So this may have already been brought up previously, but has anyone suggested the possibility that Hoid was the "holder" of Adonalsium?

This idea would hinge on a couple assumptions though. One I think is a pretty safe assumption, that Adonalsium behaves like the Shards (given that they are pieces of the original) and that, as Windrunner suggests, it requires a person to reach its full potential. The other assumption, which I am unsure of, is that the holder could survive the shattering of his/her.... vessel? Source of power? Whatever the term would be for the power they were holding at the time.

I like to throw out questions, specifically to see what others think! Sweet ideas! And facts, good to know!

My non-theory (not based in education, but very much a guess) is that Adonalsium is more like a connection 'God', 'Goddess', or 'Gods' have to the world which they have created in a way that allows humans, their children, so to speak, to learn the key aspects that make them what they are: human. For one to progress, understanding one's self is key. Now, let's say some naughty child/children got their hands on this power/gateway/whatever and decided to do what kids do, break it.

"Don't touch the stove or you'll get burned! ._. WHY did you disobey me?! *grumble* Now you'll have to learn your lesson."

This scenario makes sense to me ;)

If Midius had a role amongst that/those naughty, curious and/or accident prone child(ren), he sure has quite the mess to clean up! Of course, he could be a nice older brother who feels responsible for his siblings. From the way he talks, however, it seems nigh on obvious he's got some of his own guilt to work out.

Edited by Turos

I don't know. Hoid seems a little desperate for a lesson, and the fact that Adonalsium "Shattered" and that the Shards are considered "pieces" of Adonalsium, I think she/he/it might be destroyed. Which would make it hard to be put back together, even if there are people trying to put it back together. I mean what happens to the magic systems? I don't know.

• Chaos locked this topic