Strength of Adonalsium

OdiYum

I have always wondered how adonalsium could be stronger than the individual shards. Each shard wilds the powers of creation and/or destruction, and wields the ability to transform matter into energy and vice versa. How could you be more powerful than that? It also seems to me that each shard draws on the same forces. I can see the ten surges in a mistborn, an elatrin(however you spell that), and an awakeners. This makes me think that the shards also share a common source. I propose that the reason adonalism is stronger is not due to the raw power, but the fact that it does not come with a corrupting intent which inevitably consumes the wielder. This makes adonalsium so much more versatile and applicable to a much broader range of situations.

Essentially, I don't think that the power was divided, just the current wielder's persona.

Am I making sense?

Edited by OdiYum

It is an interesting theory, but I'm pretty sure the power was split as well. If it was not split, why would Odium fear Harmony so much? If each Shard holds the same amount of power, and math properties of addition and multiplication do not apply, as you are suggesting, then holding two Shards is the same as holding one in respect to power. So why would Odium fear Harmony, because Harmony's two Shards have intents that are perfectly opposite, making it really difficult for him to do anything with his power. If it is merely the intents that made Adonalsium so much stronger than the individual Shard holders, Odium would not be afraid of Harmony in the least bit.

source

Question

Is Odium mad about Sazed having two Shards?
Brandon Sanderson
Yes, and scared.

Now, you could argue that Odium is merely afraid of the fact that two Shards came together and their intents combined, but I do not think that is the case because he already knew that in destroying the two Shards from Sel, it was not news to him.

I just realized. If Odium is scared of Harmony -- despite being heavily restricted in what he (Sazed) can do -- I would assume Odium is scared because of the power of two combined Shards.

I wonder if we'll eventually see triple-or-quad-Shard groupings eventually. Man, that'll be neat.

the third mistborn trilogy will most likely be something like that where there is only a few shards left all grouped together and maybe one or 2 singles like the one that just hides

I disagree. Sazed's ascendence with two Shards was a very important, and I believe unique, event in the Cosmere. We have no idea where the other Shardholders lie on the good/bad scale, but from what we've heard only Rayse is truly "bad" due to the intent of his Shard. I'm not convinced the rest are all "good," but I'm also not convinced that there are any other truly "bad" ones, meaning that none of them are necessarily going to be villains. We can assume that none of them would give up their Shards, as by now their intents have consumed them and that means they have no reason to willingly give up their Shards. So, if they aren't villains, why would anyone kill them to take their Shards? Unless the remaining Cosmere books are all going to have the same two storylines: either Odium comes through and kills the Shardholder, but a POV/major character picks the Shard up before Odium splinters it (or he splinters it), or some antagonist on the given planet kills the Shardholder and a POV/major character takes the Shard from them. I don't see Brandon repeating that storyline the upwards of 9 times it needs to happen to account for all the Shards. I do think the Shardholders will probably become major characters by the end of the Cosmere Epic, but I don't forsee individuals holding more than 2 or, maybe, 3.

well there are 4 that are dead and somewhat up for grabs and assuming odium dies that would be 5

if a few got it in to there heads to go reform the shattered ones we could have 5 dual shards or other assorted numbers

Edited by taveren

well there are 4 that are dead and somewhat up for grabs and assuming odium dies that would be 5

if a few got it in to there heads to go reform the shattered ones we could have 5 dual shards or other assorted numbers

4 dead shards? I thought the only dead ones were Splintered anyway. Devotion, Dominion, and Honour are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, all the rest are either intact or not enough is known about them.

I do not believe it is possible to reassemble Splintered Shards. Otherwise Odium would have had to do something else to ensure no one would come and pick them up.

I do not believe it is possible to reassemble Splintered Shards. Otherwise Odium would have had to do something else to ensure no one would come and pick them up.

I suspect that it is technically possible, but prohibitively difficult. Each Splinter has its own Intent, which is a more specific version of the larger Shardic Intent. If you take multiple Splinters, they may not agree with one another. The Cognitive conflict would likely destroy the holder.

Brandon said that Splintering was not permanent.

Also, the only reason that Harmony was possible (as has been said over and over again) was because Ruin and Preservation were such exact opposites.

Harmony was possible because Sazed viewed them as a coherent whole.

Brandon said that Splintering was not permanent.

Also, the only reason that Harmony was possible (as has been said over and over again) was because Ruin and Preservation were such exact opposites.

So, one could say that other shards that aren't complete opposites would be distracting due to cognitive conflict and won't merge well (they would constantly disagree on how to approach an action as well as their goals), whereas Ruin and Preservation just eternally tell each other to shut up and ends up working fine?

Sazed viewed them as a coherent whole because they ARE a coherent whole.

Not necessarily. If Sazed had viewed them as inherently irreconcilable, they wouldn't have formed Harmony. Honestly, a pair of exactly opposite Shards seems like it would work the worst, compared to a pair that can form something new.

• Chaos locked this topic