Some Possible Uses for Allomantic Aluminum. (Spoilers: Don't Re-read this Title if You Haven't Finished Book 1)

anonymous2017

Note that I have already posted this thread a while back in the Mistborn sub forum. This is the simplified, revised version after much discussion there.

I believe that the allomantic properties of Aluminum can be used for both defense and attack, despite everyone's convictions that it is one of the most useless metals ever.

Defense:

In terms of defense, I do believe that an allomancer burning Alluminum at the very moment that a sword or spear or some weapon pierced their skin, could in theory dissipate the metal, since the weapon should techincally be counted as a reserve as soon as it touched their blood. Of course, this would be nearly impossible without Atium.

If the sword was burned away too late, you would be left with a gaping wound now bleeding freely. If you burned the Aluminum too early or did not detect the sword as a reserve before burning, you would be left without aluminum and a sword or weapon still microseconds from ending your miserable existence.With atium, however, a mistborn could possibly get the timing just right and be left with no more than a pin prick in their skin and a unarmed and very confused opponent.

Of course, this also brings up the question of reserves. Brandon Sanderson clearly states that any metal anywhere in your body can be a reserve, but it is apparent that only metals in your stomach are immediately seen by the mind. Perhaps an allomancer with a strong enough mind could sense the metal reserves in their extremities, and perhaps even in their blood. Too burn most of the naturally occurring metals in your body would be fatal though. This problem is still unresolved by the community and may prove to be the downfall of this theory.

Attack:

Unlike defense, there is little to back up my theoretical offensive use for aluminum. It is based on one single possibility: An aluminum savant might be able to dissipate metal just barely outside of the body. If this is the case, an allomancer could pierce through soldier armor and into their skin using a non-metalic knuckleduster, because the allomancer could dissipate the metal of the armor just at the moment that the knuckleduster was touching the armor. This would leave a hole in the armor and shallow knives embedded in the skin.

For all it's worth, Aluminum would never be as useful as other allomantic metals in the world of the metallic arts.

HOWEVER!

It is confirmed that aluminum does not necessarily dissipate metal itself, but rather the investiture within. Non allomantic metals do not dissipate because they are not invested. What this means is that aluminum can be used to nullify certain other cosmere magic investitures that are bound to the allomancer. To name a few:

- AonDor

- BloodSealing

- Forgery

- Surgebinding

It may also be possible to use aluminum to more easily resist the following invested objects:

- Awakened Objects

- Forger's Seals

- Shardblades (Perhaps*)

Also, it might be possible to destroy the following by aluminum:

- Hemalurgic Spikes

- Metal Minds (If other non-allomantic metals of metal minds existed)

- Shardplates

- Shardblades

* This depends on the rate at which aluminum burns. It seems to be instant, but this is not confirmed. If it is very fast but not instant, it may be possible for an allomancer burning aluminum to resist or lessen the effect of the shard blade on the soul.

If this is all the case, Hoid just became at least 8% more invincible, give or take 3%.  :)

Thanks for reading!

Edited by martyrboy

This is already a thread. It is here

Yes. That is my thread over there.

But this is my polished and revised version. I was not aware that there was a Cosmere Theories section until just recently, so when I rewrote the whole thing for clarity, I posted it here as well.

But essentially, I'm just karma whoring, as we would call it on reddit.  :P

• 2 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic