The visions are tests as well as messages.

High prince of geeks

Interesting. A way for the Stormfather to see if he really is worthy to receive the messages from Honor. If he made selfish choices in the visions, then he might have stopped seeing the visions. I don't think it's all that true, but that would be interesting. I suppose it is possible, though.

Possibly.  The biggest challenge I see is that not all the visions were about him helping people.  The one where he is saving a young girl and her mother he obviously can choose to save his own skin or help, and the one where he is chasing a spren around purelake is pretty easy. But what about the one when he talks to Nohodan (spelling?)?  He doesn't really do anything besides listen and learn in that one.  Or the one when he sees the Knights give up their Blades and Plate?  He just is seeing an important thing.  He doesn't do or not do anything in that one.  

I think it's an interesting thought but not all of the visions fit very well.  

• 4 weeks later...

My theory was that reading The Way of Kings and then more importantly beginning to truly believe and follow the codes was what triggered the visions. (And to my way of thinking, began the bondsmith bonding process as well, which is partially why I think the bondsmiths were originally bonded to some component of Honor somehow)

In one of the visions Dalinar mentions that he didn't have to do anything because it was a visions and not real life, But he had to because of his honor. My guess is that this was a test 

I believe Dalinar tried not doing anything, and resolved that it was pretty much easier to just go along and do his best to learn.  

So no, I don't think it was a test. 

I think that maybe only lords/rulers could become Bondsmiths though, which would explain why it was hard to get in to. My main evidence for this is that the only Bondsmiths we know or suspect were all or have been kings/highprinces and the oath to 'unite and not divide' seems to only really be important if you have the power to unite or divide. 

Writing that, I think it'd be pretty hilarious if the Releaser oath was 'I will Divide and not unite" 

Edited by Savanorn

• Chaos locked this topic