Dating System in the Stormlight Archive (possible spoilers)

The Drunk Monkey

Alright, so I am sorry if this has been discussed before, but I am sort of new here and I am a little confused on how the dating system in the series work?

I am particularly interested in this because there is a section in the Diagram (chapter headers of Part 5 in WoR) that only lists some dates (chapter 88) and I was wondering what those dates really are and if any of them did pass during the series...

the dates in question are:

1173090605   1173090801    1173090901   1173091001   

1173091004   1173100105    1173100205   1173100401

1173100603   1173100804

Thanks in advance for all the help :D

(I'll be using the first date in the sequence as an example)

1173090605 separates out to 1173-09-06-05 in a year-month-week-day format.  The modern Vorin calender has a 500 day year made up of 10 months with 10 weeks of 5 days.  So the above is the fifth day of the sixth week of the ninth month of the year 1173.  (which can also be referred to as Tanatashah 1173)

Somebody was able to work out an exact chronology for the main sequence of Stormlight a while back, which I will try to find and link, and these dates sync perfectly with the highstorms.  We do know that all of these dates have passed since by the end of WoR they are in the year 1174.

Also, I'm not going to lie I expected this to be about some sort of dating simulator game when I clicked on it...

Thank you for the info

This is interesting indeed...

I mean I was expecting those dates to be some major events like someone's death or something prophet-ish like that

But dating the last 10 highstorms of year 1173 is a big deal too (highstorms are supposed to be unpredictable)

Hmm that doesn't sound like a bad idea actually, let's do that :P

Actually highstorms are totally predictable, within a certain margin of error, it's all mathematical.  And it can't be that difficult if Shallan gets Wikim to start doing it in the Middlefest flashback, I doubt he had high-level mathematical experience.  Now predicting them several years in advance is definitely quite a feat.

Here's a link to the timeline thread btw.

Actually highstorms are totally predictable, within a certain margin of error, it's all mathematical. And it can't be that difficult if Shallan gets Wikim to start doing it in the Middlefest flashback, I doubt he had high-level mathematical experience. Now predicting them several years in advance is definitely quite a feat.

Here's a link to the timeline thread btw.

Thanks again for the awesome info, I'll read the thread now :D

And that dating website sounds excellent, but can Darkeyes get Platinum membership cause I'm thinking of joining :P

Vorinmingle.com, your #1 source for finding attractive, single, and faithful Alethi suitors!

For a limited time, Brighteyes are automatically upgraded to Vorinmingle Platinum, while Darkeyes receive a miniature banner of their overlord highprince.

Because of this I'm now picturing certain ads like "live bare safehands". :P  I must be perverted.

And that dating website sounds excellent, but can Darkeyes get Platinum membership cause I'm thinking of joining :P

Sorry, but I can't do anything higher than Vorinmingle Silver.  I can, however, include a complementary shardbearer action figure (plus 5 bloodmarks for shipping and handling).

Welcome to vorinbook.com, Mr Drunk Monkey! The only privacy conscious social website of Roshar! You can share your interests, hobbies, photographs & much more with your friends! You can judge the compatibility of your betrothed!

We take privacy of our users very seriously *. We will not share your email with anyone else. You can set who sees your personal information in the settings page.

*Please note that your personal information may be used to serve better ads suited to you. Signing up with vorinbook.com gives us the right to use your data in psychological experiments. Please refer to Terms of service for further explanation.

Also, I'm not going to lie I expected this to be about some sort of dating simulator game when I clicked on it...

You were not the only one!

If Vorinbook.com was instead on Scadrial, the Dark Alley would definitely have something to do with that advertisement above... 

• Chaos locked this topic