Recommendations that

chale10913

Finish Tolkien. C.S. Lewis is a must read. 

After that read the Imaginarium Geographica series by James A. Owen. It has many references to classic books and series and is the best series no one has ever heard of. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As I remember there's a lot of sex in WoT, not explicit in a modern romance kind of way but I suppose it depends on what you find too much. I'm reading Warbreaker now but I haven't got to 'that bit' yet.

My top recommendation would be David Edding's, Belgariad. Book 1 is Pawn of Prophesy, it's an old fashioned epic fantasy, not explicit and one of my all time favourites.

Also:

The Fall - Garth Nix Seventh Tower series

The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks Shannara series

The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett's Discworld series

Sabriel - Garth Nix

The Spellsong Sorceress - L.E. Modesitt Jr

Aldis Penwel by L.Walker

• 2 weeks later...

Go for The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. Clean, funny, deep, and the most brilliant writing ever. It's first person and YA(technically), but it is unimaginably ingenious. Low on magic, but has great plot twists. It is a must read. Don't look up other books by her yet, though. Descriptions, covers, or anything can be spoilers. 

As I remember there's a lot of sex in WoT, not explicit in a modern romance kind of way but I suppose it depends on what you find too much. I'm reading Warbreaker now but I haven't got to 'that bit' yet.

My top recommendation would be David Edding's, Belgariad. Book 1 is Pawn of Prophesy, it's an old fashioned epic fantasy, not explicit and one of my all time favourites.

Also:

The Fall - Garth Nix Seventh Tower series

The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks Shannara series

The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett's Discworld series

Sabriel - Garth Nix

The Spellsong Sorceress - L.E. Modesitt Jr

Aldis Penwel by L.Walker

Another Modesitt fan!!! MWahahahhaha, yes :D:ph34r: :ph34r: Except I stopped reading the Spellsong books after the third F-

I'd recommend the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane. There are something like 9 books now, but it's YA so it's a pretty easy read. It has a really cool magic system that takes a pretty simple concept (secret language that you use to cast spells) and adds a lot of interesting stuff on top, especially being set on Earth. As an added bonus, the books get more and more intense with each one, but in a very natural and interesting way. The fifth and sixth books in particular delve into much deeper fare than your generic YA fantasy would (namely, dealing with someone you love getting cancer as well as an autistic character). There's a bit in the eighth book that makes me cry every time I read it.

I would probably avoid The Kingkiller Chronicles, as many other posters here have said. It's one of my absolute favorite books, but the second book has a fair amount of sexual content in it. You may be able to get through the first one okay (it's been a while since I've read it so I don't remember exactly), but if you aren't going to read the second one there really isn't much point.