Best fantasy book of year 2014

TheWarriorPoet

• 2 weeks later...

Well I guess it's my duty to be the bearer of bad news we didn't win.

Edit: (my reaction)

Charliebrown-1-.jpg

WOR did take second but Deborah Harkness's The book of life beat us out for first with over 50,000 votes even though it had a far worse rating. Stormlight 2 barely got more than half that with 28,449. Fellow sharders let us remember this defeat and vote even more when Stones Unhallowed comes out.

Edited by Unhinged

It likely has a lot to do with release date. Deborah Harkness' book came out 4 months after Words of Radiance, so her fans are probably more active right now.  Even Patrick Rothfuss' book, which would have been my second choice, just came out and hasn't had enough time to build up momentum yet.  It's like when the forums here at 17th shard go crazy for a few months when a new book comes out.  I wouldn't have even known about the voting if it wasn't for this message board.  It seems like for this particular contest, a release date of 3-4 months prior, is the sweet spot.

Anyway, congratulations to Ms. Harkness; I'll probably check out her books and the others that made it to the finals eventually.  They are all obviously awesome writers.

• Chaos locked this topic