The Nature of Deadeyes

Sorry if this has already been figured out by everyone else and I'm late to the party, but I just realized reading this WOB:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/452/#e14536

James Smallwood

Can the Voidspren bonded by the Regals be killed and become deadeyes?

Brandon Sanderson

Voidspren bonded by the Regals, right, okay. I'll RAFO that for now. I haven't gotten into the mechanics of the Regals nearly as much as I want to eventually get into it.

Let's just say something weird is happening to make deadeyes. They didn't exist before the Recreance. There should be a relationship here that reminds you of something else you've seen in the Cosmere.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 1 (Dec. 17, 2020)

That deadeyes are stuck in a transitionary state, just like Elantrians were!  The influence of Ba-Ado-Mishram is necessary for spren to fully transition (or for bonds to fully be severed, perhaps) when their bonds are broken.

I'm sure that others knew this and nobody else is excited but I figured something out and had to share.   

Edited by L0N3STARR

2 hours ago, L0N3STARR said:

That deadeyes are stuck in a transitionary state, just like Elantrians were!  The influence of Ba-Ado-Mishram is necessary for spren to fully transition (or for bonds to fully be severed, perhaps) when their bonds are broken.

I have a question; what are your thoughts on how Mayalaran is regaining consciousness? Not an accusation or anything, I'm just curious as to how you rationalize that. Bo-Ado-Mishram is still trapped. How do you propose that Mayalaran is reawakening through the lens of your theory?

I do like the idea. The sense of an Investiture "plug" is successful, as we've seen in Elantris. If this is true, I would love to see how it plays out.

The Ultimate Archivist

6 hours ago, UltimateArchivist said:

I have a question; what are your thoughts on how Mayalaran is regaining consciousness? Not an accusation or anything, I'm just curious as to how you rationalize that. Bo-Ado-Mishram is still trapped. How do you propose that Mayalaran is reawakening through the lens of your theory?

Good question...

We know that Ba-Ado-Mishram has some power over connection, since she was able to fuel the transformations of the singers during the false desolation. I think I remember a WOB that said that when a singer changes form, they undergo a change in the spiritual realm. Likewise, maybe she acted as an intermediary for sapient spren, allowing them to transition spiritually from radiant spren manifested primarily in the physical realm to intelligent spren manifested primarily in the cognitive realm. The nahel bond must make some spiritual change that allows them to maintain sapience in the physical realm. This could also be why their physical bodies remain manifested as shardblades. They have no connection to facilitate the spiritual transition and are stuck in a spiritual limbo. Why would an unmade have that relationship with radiant spren? She is sapient and is clearly a unique and special spren. Maybe she held that role prior to becoming an unmade, and it carried over after her corruption by Odium. Maybe she was a spren that could have made a fourth Bondsmith before being unmade. 

So why is Maya able to begin regaining consciousness? I have a few theories. 

1.  Now Adolin is providing some form of connection for Maya (perhaps picking up her bond?) that is allowing her to transition, albeit clearly very slowly. This could lead to her spirit not needing to transition to perceive itself as manifesting primarily in the cognitive realm, as maybe she'll form a new nahel bond.

2. Could be some kind of reverse Hoed thing. The trauma of the severed bond breaks a deadeye's mind, and only through the care and attentiveness of Adolin is Maya's mind able to snap out of that state and allow her to become cognizant again. This doesn't mean her transition issue will be repaired by her "bond" with Adolin, just that her mind is no longer broken.

3. Reod Elantrians still had access to AonDor despite their "plug," but with significantly reduced efficacy. Maybe Maya still has the ability to rewrite her spirit slightly, but not sufficiently to fully transition. Maybe care for Adolin encouraged her to push past the "block" to make some sort of spiritual change. 

Or maybe those ideas are all crazy. But that's the best I've got for now. Haha

19 hours ago, L0N3STARR said:

Sorry if this has already been figured out by everyone else and I'm late to the party, but I just realized reading this WOB:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/452/#e14536

I'm sure that others knew this and nobody else is excited but I figured something out and had to share.   

I think there is for sure something here and have had the same thought for some time. The Parshmen are also essentially stuck in a state and unable to transform, and I would argue the situation is fairly similar for the Sibling.