Pitching Practice

JJDReffitt

Well folks I finished the first draft of my very first novel yesterday! I feel like that SpongeBob scene where he’s writing the essay, and just drops a smoking pencil on the desk. But now that I’m done I’ve been thinking more about the pitch I’ve put together for it. Then I had another thought, and I checked the forums, I don’t think we have a thread for pitches! 

Here marks the creation of just that thread! Feel free to put pitches here for opinions, if you’re seeking them, and if you are not pitching feel free to leave a few notes on the pitches you see fit. Even if you don’t like a pitch, maybe let the person know where the pitch lost you.

I would be a fool if I didn’t also stress this: Please be kind always. If you don’t like a pitch, don’t trash talk it. 

So without further ado, I’ll give you a one sentence pitch. Then I’ll put a slightly longer one in a spoiler.

An extravagant fantasy, where a suspicious drug addled widower stumbles into becoming an agent for an ancient proclaimed god.

Spoiler

A few days before the end of the year, a drug addicted widower falls out of an alleyway. Helped by a kind foreigner on a mission, he offers to aid this person in their search for a stolen artifact. Meanwhile, those whole stole this artifact have lost it, and are looking for their lost cargo while tying off loose ends. The following day, our foreigner is arrested and framed for murder.

Over those few days our addict discovers magic after coming into contact with a self-proclaimed goddess, and becomes her unwilling agent. Then, with her aid, and the aid of friends new and old, our protagonist discovers where the missing artifact went and the sinister truth behind the murders.

I can’t wait to see what everyone pitches 😁

Oo, wait I actually love this idea. I love your pitch too, that sounds like such a cool story!

Hmm...I've never really tried to pitch my current project, maybe I'll give it a try at some point though!

Contemporary fantasy where the main character finds a magical world below the surface. Combining aspects of rpgs like xp leveling with Kandra like elemental energy creatures gives you monster hunting in London( maby not sure if it will be London yet)

On 2/19/2024 at 12:35 AM, RoyalBeeMage said:

Contemporary fantasy where the main character finds a magical world below the surface. Combining aspects of rpgs like xp leveling with Kandra like elemental energy creatures gives you monster hunting in London( maby not sure if it will be London yet)

My mind immediately jumped to Neverwhere. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up for you to decide I guess lol Also, I think using something like Kandra in a brandon sanderson forum works fine, but if you were to pitch this more broadly, that's probably too specific. 

On 2/18/2024 at 6:35 PM, RoyalBeeMage said:

If you don’t feel like making up your own city, you can always find maps of London online. That way you can set it during any era you want and still be accurate when you describe distance and travel. Just a thought

Oh, and I love this idea. I always love a story set in “London”. And the monster hunting elements tickles my fancies as well! What era London are we talking? My mind always defaults to Victorian 

I do have on other question, could it also be called an Urban Fantasy if you set it in London, or a London like city? I ask because I realized I might have written an Urban Fantasy myself and need clarification

15 minutes ago, JJDReffitt said:

If you don’t feel like making up your own city, you can always find maps of London online. That way you can set it during any era you want and still be accurate when you describe distance and travel. Just a thought

Oh, and I love this idea. I always love a story set in “London”. And the monster hunting elements tickles my fancies as well! What era London are we talking? My mind always defaults to Victorian 

I do have on other question, could it also be called an Urban Fantasy if you set it in London, or a London like city? I ask because I realized I might have written an Urban Fantasy myself and need clarification

i was thinking of doing a modern era. i need forests nearby so i could set it near the edges of it. close to the M25. could have it act as some magical barrier.

5 hours ago, RaeTheRaven said:

My mind immediately jumped to Neverwhere. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up for you to decide I guess lol Also, I think using something like Kandra in a brandon sanderson forum works fine, but if you were to pitch this more broadly, that's probably too specific. 

yeah i would proberbly use somehthing like shapeshifting elemental energy monster that uses metal to gain sentince.