Welcome to my writing thread! Stay a while and have a cup of cocoa. You can pet Sam, he's a good boi!

Spoiler

“Daddy?” I crept down the stairs, my Cookie Monster pajamas hanging from my skinny body. “What’re you doing?” I asked, wiggling my way onto the couch and facing him. 

“N-nothing.” He tossed another log onto the fire, leaning back into his chair. “Go to bed Makii.”

Makii. My nickname. It seems so familiar and so strange at the same time. I’m Makun, a six year old boy. My momma left me two years ago. I can barely remember her face. Makii was the nickname she gave me, and she always said it in a loving voice. I have an older sister, who’s name is Jenni.

I miss Momma sometimes. I have a photo of her by my bed. I inherited her short red hair. But I mostly have my dad’s features. I have his eyes, but I also have my momma’s eyes. I have heterochromia, which means my eyes are two different colors. My right eye is Daddy’s hazel green. My left is Momma’s ice blue.

“Makii, go to bed.” Dad repeated sternly. 

“It’s only 5am though Daddy.” I beg, staring at him. I know he can’t resist the look of my eyes, so blue, but also green. They remind him of Momma I think.

He sighs, picking me up and resting me on his knee. 

“Daddy, where did Momma go??” I look up at him. “She said she would be back in the blink of an eye. I’ve blinked millions of times, and yet she isn’t here.” I look down at my tiny hands. They seem so small and fragile compared to Daddy’s. 

“She… she’s on an adventure. She won’t be back for a while, okay?” He wraps his arms around me, just like she used to. “Go get Jenni up. I don’t think we’ll be able to fall asleep again, hm?” He looks down at me.

“Okay!” I scramble off, racing up the stairs and flinging myself into Jenni’s bedroom. “JENNI! TIME TO WAKE UP!” I howl, jumping onto her bed. She mutters something, pushing me off her.

“What time is it??” She blinks, turning to the small clock on her nightstand. Her eyes grow wide. “It’s 5:30?! Too early to be awake-” She flips her pillow on top of her head, closing her eyes. 

“Daddy told me to get you up!” I whine. I’m very persuasive. She lifts the pillow up, glaring at me for a second then smiling softly. No one can stay mad at me for long.

This is a little part of a book I gave up on a few years ago. Let me know if I should continue it!

1 hour ago, Roosif said:

Welcome to my writing thread! Stay a while and have a cup of cocoa. You can pet Sam, he's a good boi!

Hide contents

“Daddy?” I crept down the stairs, my Cookie Monster pajamas hanging from my skinny body. “What’re you doing?” I asked, wiggling my way onto the couch and facing him. 

“N-nothing.” He tossed another log onto the fire, leaning back into his chair. “Go to bed Makii.”

Makii. My nickname. It seems so familiar and so strange at the same time. I’m Makun, a six year old boy. My momma left me two years ago. I can barely remember her face. Makii was the nickname she gave me, and she always said it in a loving voice. I have an older sister, who’s name is Jenni.

I miss Momma sometimes. I have a photo of her by my bed. I inherited her short red hair. But I mostly have my dad’s features. I have his eyes, but I also have my momma’s eyes. I have heterochromia, which means my eyes are two different colors. My right eye is Daddy’s hazel green. My left is Momma’s ice blue.

“Makii, go to bed.” Dad repeated sternly. 

“It’s only 5am though Daddy.” I beg, staring at him. I know he can’t resist the look of my eyes, so blue, but also green. They remind him of Momma I think.

He sighs, picking me up and resting me on his knee. 

“Daddy, where did Momma go??” I look up at him. “She said she would be back in the blink of an eye. I’ve blinked millions of times, and yet she isn’t here.” I look down at my tiny hands. They seem so small and fragile compared to Daddy’s. 

“She… she’s on an adventure. She won’t be back for a while, okay?” He wraps his arms around me, just like she used to. “Go get Jenni up. I don’t think we’ll be able to fall asleep again, hm?” He looks down at me.

“Okay!” I scramble off, racing up the stairs and flinging myself into Jenni’s bedroom. “JENNI! TIME TO WAKE UP!” I howl, jumping onto her bed. She mutters something, pushing me off her.

“What time is it??” She blinks, turning to the small clock on her nightstand. Her eyes grow wide. “It’s 5:30?! Too early to be awake-” She flips her pillow on top of her head, closing her eyes. 

“Daddy told me to get you up!” I whine. I’m very persuasive. She lifts the pillow up, glaring at me for a second then smiling softly. No one can stay mad at me for long.

This is a little part of a book I gave up on a few years ago. Let me know if I should continue it!

*takes hot cocoa*
There’s not a whole lot I can say about this, it has promise but there isn’t enough here for me to really have an opinion on it. If you write more of it let me know, I’ll read it for sure!

56 minutes ago, Lightweaver2 said:

*takes hot cocoa*
There’s not a whole lot I can say about this, it has promise but there isn’t enough here for me to really have an opinion on it. If you write more of it let me know, I’ll read it for sure!

Alr lemme add some more rq

Spoiler

Tears. They were flowing down my face and I couldn't stop them if I wanted. It has been fourteen years since my mother went missing. And on this day, my birthday, in fact, I found out Dad was lying. For 14 years. "S-she's dead?!" I shouted. "I... I spent all of my childhood, believing the lie that she would come back. AND YOU LET ME?"

He looks down at the floor. "I didn't want... to scare you." He looks up. "You loved her so much, almost more than me. I didn't want that love to die with her." He looks into my eyes. "But now that you're 18, I thought you should've known." Dad looks back down at the floor.

"Thought?! You just thought I should know?! If you would've told me 10 years ago I wouldn't take it this hard!" I turn away from him. "I... I can't believe you." I stomp up the stairs, Jenni wincing at each stomp. Out of the corner of my eye I saw her running to Dad to comfort him. What did I just do?! I look at my shaking hands. I couldn't apologize, it was too soon. I ran into my room, locking the door. My eyes caught the picture of Mom, and the tears started running down my face once again. And I let them.

I pick up the photo, staring at her familiar face. I wiped my face, looking around. I opened my closet, finding my cloak and putting it on. I pull out a step stool, reaching above the top shelf and pulling the small chest down. I set it on my bed, opening it. I close my eyes, then open them, pulling out the two small daggers and their sheath. I attach the sheath to my belt, putting the daggers in.

I'm sorry Dad... But I can't live like this anymore. I look back at my room from my perch on the windowsill. I jump back in and grab the swan necklace. "Happy 18th birthday Makii. I'm sorry I wasn't here for it. This necklace was my mother's, and I want it to be yours. I love you - Momma.

I blink back the tears, remembering the letter that came with it. I put the necklace on, the white swan landing just over my heart.  "I love you too." I whisper, then jump out of the window, landing softly on the grass.

"I began to think you weren't coming." A voice came from the bush beside me. I grinned as she stood up.

Lyra... My girlfriend. "Hey Lyra." I reach out a hand, and she grabs it. "Ready?"

She smiled back. "Always.

It's kinda short but eh

10 minutes ago, Roosif said:
  Hide contents

Tears. They were flowing down my face and I couldn't stop them if I wanted. It has been fourteen years since my mother went missing. And on this day, my birthday, in fact, I found out Dad was lying. For 14 years. "S-she's dead?!" I shouted. "I... I spent all of my childhood, believing the lie that she would come back. AND YOU LET ME?"

He looks down at the floor. "I didn't want... to scare you." He looks up. "You loved her so much, almost more than me. I didn't want that love to die with her." He looks into my eyes. "But now that you're 18, I thought you should've known." Dad looks back down at the floor.

"Thought?! You just thought I should know?! If you would've told me 10 years ago I wouldn't take it this hard!" I turn away from him. "I... I can't believe you." I stomp up the stairs, Jenni wincing at each stomp. Out of the corner of my eye I saw her running to Dad to comfort him. What did I just do?! I look at my shaking hands. I couldn't apologize, it was too soon. I ran into my room, locking the door. My eyes caught the picture of Mom, and the tears started running down my face once again. And I let them.

I pick up the photo, staring at her familiar face. I wiped my face, looking around. I opened my closet, finding my cloak and putting it on. I pull out a step stool, reaching above the top shelf and pulling the small chest down. I set it on my bed, opening it. I close my eyes, then open them, pulling out the two small daggers and their sheath. I attach the sheath to my belt, putting the daggers in.

I'm sorry Dad... But I can't live like this anymore. I look back at my room from my perch on the windowsill. I jump back in and grab the swan necklace. "Happy 18th birthday Makii. I'm sorry I wasn't here for it. This necklace was my mother's, and I want it to be yours. I love you - Momma.

I blink back the tears, remembering the letter that came with it. I put the necklace on, the white swan landing just over my heart.  "I love you too." I whisper, then jump out of the window, landing softly on the grass.

"I began to think you weren't coming." A voice came from the bush beside me. I grinned as she stood up.

Lyra... My girlfriend. "Hey Lyra." I reach out a hand, and she grabs it. "Ready?"

She smiled back. "Always.

It's kinda short but eh

I have enough information now…

I love it! The emotion is there, you show that you can write from two different age perspectives, I think that you continuing it would be great.

Spoiler

I look around. It was nightfall, so no one was up. We waited until Dad and Jenni's lights turned off, then we raced down to the river. I lifted a rock, then pulled out the bag of food that I had put in there a night ago. I looked up where Lyra was waiting, eyes flickering around. I had met her last year, when I was in the forest. She was climbing the Great Oak, the biggest tree in the forest. She had gotten to the top, looking down.

She saw me, climbing after her. I'd seen her around the village sometimes, but we never actually interacted. I guess she knew who I was, because she didn't even flinch as I jumped to the top, right beside her. That was the first memory I had with her, the beautiful sunrise. I blink, shaking the thought off. I pushed the rock back into place, putting the small sack of food into my satchel.

"We need to go. I hear people stirring, although I don't know why." She twitched her ears. I keep forgetting she's an Elf. I think, looking at her pointed ears. Elves and Humans aren't supposed to be with each other... the whole reason we're running away. I remind myself.

"Alright. Let's go get Brego and Dusty." I walk towards the stable, tethering Brego and pulling him out of his stall. Lyra did the same with Dusty, and we saddled them up quickly and quietly. We exited the stable, mounting them. "East... which way is East??" I pull out my compass, holding it steady in my palm. I turn Brego to the left. "Let's go." I kick my heels sharply, making the horse start to gallop. I see Lyra following close behind, and I grin back at her. She returns the smile.

"Here we go!" She shouts, racing past me, with her tongue sticking out at me.

I laugh, making Brego go faster. "It's on." I say, the wind whipping at my hair. Off on an adventure. I think, smiling.

←•→

I pull out a dagger, striking it against a flint stone. The sparks fly onto the dry leaves under the small twigs, making flames jump to life. Lyra sits down next to me, hugging her knees. "I-It's c-cold." She shivers. I unclasp my cloak, wrapping it around her. I've never been bothered by the cold; I'm always warm. I stand up, tossing another log onto the fire and walking down to the brook nearby. I fill my canteen, closing the lid. I look out beyond the forest. We were so close to entering the Forgotten Lands, where there is nothing. No life, no water. They stretch on endlessly.

I shake my worries away, turning back to the campfire and Lyra. "You should sleep." She says to me, touching my shoulder lightly.

"No. I'll stay watch." I reply, sitting down.

"Oh, stop being so... so stubborn!" She sighs. "You haven't slept in three days. Something is bothering you." She holds my hand. "Makii, you can tell me. Don't push me away."

I look into her green eyes. "It's... it's nothing." I turn away. It's not nothing and she knows it... I think, sighing.

Lyra looks at me. "Whatever..." She mumbles, standing up and going to her mat and laying down. I can hear her silent sobs.

I do need to stop pushing everyone away... but, it's something that will take her away from me... I don't want that. I absentmindedly reach towards the flames, blinking and pulling my hand back. There was no burn on it, yet my hand should've been scorched. What the... I reach towards the fire again, the blaze tickling my hand. I look at it again, but no burn. Strange...

I look at Lyra, who's fallen asleep. I sigh, turning to the edge of the light for another restless night.

Edited by Roosif

4 minutes ago, Roosif said:
  Hide contents

I look around. It was nightfall, so no one was up. We waited until Dad and Jenni's lights turned off, then we raced down to the river. I lifted a rock, then pulled out the bag of food that I had put in there a night ago. I looked up where Lyra was waiting, eyes flickering around. I had met her last year, when I was in the forest. She was climbing the Great Oak, the biggest tree in the forest. She had gotten to the top, looking down.

She saw me, climbing after her. I'd seen her around the village sometimes, but we never actually interacted. I guess she knew who I was, because she didn't even flinch as I jumped to the top, right beside her. That was the first memory I had with her, the beautiful sunrise. I blink, shaking the thought off. I pushed the rock back into place, putting the small sack of food into my satchel.

"We need to go. I hear people stirring, although I don't know why." She twitched her ears. I keep forgetting she's an Elf. I think, looking at her pointed ears. Elves and Humans aren't supposed to be with each other... the whole reason we're running away. I remind myself.

"Alright. Let's go get Brego and Dusty." I walk towards the stable, tethering Brego and pulling him out of his stall. Lyra did the same with Dusty, and we saddled them up quickly and quietly. We exited the stable, mounting them. "East... which way is East??" I pull out my compass, holding it steady in my palm. I turn Brego to the left. "Let's go." I kick my heels sharply, making the horse start to gallop. I see Lyra following close behind, and I grin back at her. She returns the smile.

"Here we go!" She shouts, racing past me, with her tongue sticking out at me.

I laugh, making Brego go faster. "It's on." I say, the wind whipping at my hair. Off on an adventure. I think, smiling.

←•→

I pull out a dagger, striking it against a flint stone. The sparks fly onto the dry leaves under the small twigs, igniting the flames. Lyra sits down next to me, hugging her knees. "I-It's c-cold." She shivers. I unclasp my cloak, wrapping it around her. I've never been bothered by the cold; I'm always warm. I stand up, tossing another log onto the fire and walking down to the brook nearby. I fill my canteen, closing the lid. I look out beyond the forest. We were so close to entering the Forgotten Lands, where there is nothing. No life, no water. They stretch on endlessly.

I shake my worries away, turning back to the campfire and Lyra. "You should sleep." She says to me, touching my shoulder lightly.

"No. I'll stay watch." I reply, sitting down.

"Oh, stop being so... so stubborn!" She sighs. "You haven't slept in three days. Something is bothering you." She holds my hand. "Makii, you can tell me. Don't push me away."

I look into her green eyes. "It's... it's nothing." I turn away. It's not nothing and she knows it... I think, sighing.

Lyra looks at me. "Whatever..." She mumbles, standing up and going to her mat and laying down. I can hear her silent sobs.

I do need to stop pushing everyone away... but, it's something that will take her away from me... I don't want that. I absentmindedly reach towards the flames, blinking and pulling my hand back. There was no burn on it, yet my hand should've been scorched. What the... I reach towards the fire again, the blaze tickling my hand. I look at it again, but no burn. Strange...

I look at Lyra, who's fallen asleep. I sigh, turning to the edge of the light for another restless night.

Oooooo!!! 

1 hour ago, Lightweaver2 said:

maybe

Or is the twist me making you think there’s a twist :ph34r:

AuGh My TiReD bRaIn CaN't HaNdLe ThIs- I'm needing to catch up on math so I've been working on it like... 6 hours a day 😭

Spoiler

!Death. Don't read if you don't like reading about someone dying!

Spoiler

I look around the shadows, my eyelids feeling heavy. No. Stay awake! I tell myself. The fire has died down. I look up at the sky, the sun is starting to peak over the mountains. As it raises into the dark blue sky, I finally close my eyes, drifting to sleep.

←•→

"Wake up! Makun!!" I wake up to the shouting of Lyra, as she's rushing around, piling dirt over the fire and scattering the rocks surrounding it. "I hear someone!"

I was half asleep, but the warning made me wake up fully. "Are you sure??" I untie the horses, taking them over to the brook. They bent their heads, drinking. You idiot- Of course she's sure! I smack my forehead. "Okay, let me get the supplies." I race over to where I set my satchel down, picking it up and putting in all the food and water. Only six bottles of water?! That's not enough... I shake the worry away when I heard footsteps.

Then a familiar voice called out. "Makii!"

"J-Jenni??" I look up. She seems tired, even more than me. I rush towards her as she collapses. "W-why are you here?!" I help her up.

"Dad sent me... Makii- Dad's dying."

←•→

"Why?? H-how?! I-if it's something I said... something I did- I can fix it!" My thoughts are flying wildly.

"He's sick. He's been sick for a while now. Close to a month. I don't know how he hid it." Jenni looks at me. "Makun, he has..." She drifts away, but I understand.

"He can't have it! W-we've been so careful. How come he didn't tell us?!" I'm panicking. Lyra walked up to me, resting a hand on my shoulder.

"Makii, it's going to be okay." She says. She sounded so sure, I wanted to believe her with all my existence, but... No. I won't believe that he's not going to survive.

I stand up, turning towards Brego and Dusty. "Let's go." We've been running for four days, and for what? Just to turn around? I mount Brego, helping Jenni up. I kick the side of Brego, turning him sharply. "C'mon!" I shout, Brego going faster. We gotta go. Faster! The wind is stinging my eyes, but I don't close them. I need to be there. I need to fix my mistake. My thoughts were running in circles.

"Can't he go any faster?!" I shout, the wind whipping my words away. I don't expect a response anyways.

We ride faster than before, the sound of hooves galloping were going on and on endlessly. Go, go, go, go, go FASTER! I shout in my mind. Brego suddenly puts on a burst of speed, then more and more. What the- how? He's going faster than any horse should be able to. Thank you. I say silently in my mind. I see Dusty keeping up. It seems whatever affected Brego did the same to him.

←•→

I jump off Brego, busting the door open. "Dad!" I call. I hear a cough in the living room, so faint. I race around the corner, seeing him sitting on the wooden chair in there. "D-dad." I run to him. "Dad... Don't leave." I can tell he's barely hanging on.

Jenni comes up behind me while Lyra stays outside. "The doctor already came... Said there was nothing we could do." She whispered softly.

I whimper. "Dad... I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said. I don't want you to leave. Dad, don't go!" I put a blanket over him, then sink to the floor, burrowing my head in my hands.

"Makii." It's barely a whisper. I look up, seeing my father's lovable face. "Go to bed Makii." He smiles faintly. The memory passes through my mind. That one night, 12 years ago... I was small enough to fit on his lap. I miss those days.

"But Daddy.... It's not time yet." I say, my voice cracking. "I don't want you to go. Don't go Daddy." I'm acting like a child again. And I don't care. "Don't go like Momma did. I don't want you to leave." I'm crying, my shirt stained with tears.

"It's time. I'm so glad that I had someone like you. You both remind me of her. And now I will see her again." He looks at me. "Don't cry because of me. Cry because of her. You never got to grieve for her before. Don't cry for me." And then he was gone. His last breath.

The tears are like a river; never ending. "I don't want you to leave." My body heaves with sobs. "Don't leave me." But he was already gone, somewhere, dancing with Mom again. Someday, I will find them, me and Jenni. And we will all be whole. But for now I will grieve. Cry for days. And I'm fine with that. I'm done with hiding my emotions. On the day that Dad died, I let all of them show.

Edited by Roosif

4 hours ago, Roosif said:
  Reveal hidden contents

!Death. Don't read if you don't like reading about someone dying!

Reveal hidden contents

I look around the shadows, my eyelids feeling heavy. No. Stay awake! I tell myself. The fire has died down. I look up at the sky, the sun is starting to peak over the mountains. As it raises into the dark blue sky, I finally close my eyes, drifting to sleep.

←•→

"Wake up! Makun!!" I wake up to the shouting of Lyra, as she's rushing around, piling dirt over the fire and scattering the rocks surrounding it. "I hear someone!"

I was half asleep, but the warning made me wake up fully. "Are you sure??" I untie the horses, taking them over to the brook. They bent their heads, drinking. You idiot- Of course she's sure! I smack my forehead. "Okay, let me get the supplies." I race over to where I set my satchel down, picking it up and putting in all the food and water. Only six bottles of water?! That's not enough... I shake the worry away when I heard footsteps.

Then a familiar voice called out. "Makii!"

"J-Jenni??" I look up. She seems tired, even more than me. I rush towards her as she collapses. "W-why are you here?!" I help her up.

"Dad sent me... Makii- Dad's dying."

←•→

"Why?? H-how?! I-if it's something I said... something I did- I can fix it!" My thoughts are flying wildly.

"He's sick. He's been sick for a while now. Close to a month. I don't know how he hid it." Jenni looks at me. "Makun, he has..." She drifts away, but I understand.

"He can't have it! W-we've been so careful. How come he didn't tell us?!" I'm panicking. Lyra walked up to me, resting a hand on my shoulder.

"Makii, it's going to be okay." She says. She sounded so sure, I wanted to believe her with all my existence, but... No. I won't believe that he's not going to survive.

I stand up, turning towards Brego and Dusty. "Let's go." We've been running for four days, and for what? Just to turn around? I mount Brego, helping Jenni up. I kick the side of Brego, turning him sharply. "C'mon!" I shout, Brego going faster. We gotta go. Faster! The wind is stinging my eyes, but I don't close them. I need to be there. I need to fix my mistake. My thoughts were running in circles.

"Can't he go any faster?!" I shout, the wind whipping my words away. I don't expect a response anyways.

We ride faster than before, the sound of hooves galloping were going on and on endlessly. Go, go, go, go, go FASTER! I shout in my mind. Brego suddenly puts on a burst of speed, then more and more. What the- how? He's going faster than any horse should be able to. Thank you. I say silently in my mind. I see Dusty keeping up. It seems whatever affected Brego did the same to him.

←•→

I jump off Brego, busting the door open. "Dad!" I call. I hear a cough in the living room, so faint. I race around the corner, seeing him sitting on the wooden chair in there. "D-dad." I run to him. "Dad... Don't leave." I can tell he's barely hanging on.

Jenni comes up behind me while Lyra stays outside. "The doctor already came... Said there was nothing we could do." She whispered softly.

I whimper. "Dad... I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said. I don't want you to leave. Dad, don't go!" I put a blanket over him, then sink to the floor, burrowing my head in my hands.

"Makii." It's barely a whisper. I look up, seeing my father's lovable face. "Go to bed Makii." He smiles faintly. The memory passes through my mind. That one night, 12 years ago... I was small enough to fit on his lap. I miss those days.

"But Daddy.... It's not time yet." I say, my voice cracking. "I don't want you to go. Don't go Daddy." I'm acting like a child again. And I don't care. "Don't go like Momma did. I don't want you to leave." I'm crying, my shirt stained with tears.

"It's time. I'm so glad that I had someone like you. You both remind me of her. And now I will see her again." He looks at me. "Don't cry because of me. Cry because of her. You never got to grieve for her before. Don't cry for me." And then he was gone. His last breath.

The tears are like a river; never ending. "I don't want you to leave." My body heaves with sobs. "Don't leave me." But he was already gone, somewhere, dancing with Mom again. Someday, I will find them, me and Jenni. And we will all be whole. But for now I will grieve. Cry for days. And I'm fine with that. I'm done with hiding my emotions. On the day that Dad died, I let all of them show.

Wiz is correct, the emotion is great. *gentle pokes with writing stick*