Favorite Book Titles

Alright, I was wondering which of Sanderson's titles for his stories were people's favorites.  Also, just favorite fantasy book titles in general.

Here's my top seven:

1. The Alloy of Law

2. The Well of Ascension

3. Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

4. The Emperor's Soul

5. Towers of Midnight

6. Sixth of the Dusk

7. Warbreaker

I really like 1-3 on that list a lot.  I also really like The Stormlight Archive as a series title.  I wasn't counting unreleased books in the same category, because part of the quality of the title is how it relates to the actual book.  But I like Stones Unhallowed freaking tons, if he changes that just because of Doors of Stone (which is also a pretty good title) I'm going to be upset.  Especially if he changes it to Skybreaker, which is a pretty meh title.  I also really like Shadows of Self.

Titles I like from elsewhere, Wise Man's Fear, The Sum of All Men, by David Farland (though it's mostly referred to as Runelords as it's the first in the series of the same name, that annoys me).  Titles from books I haven't read that I really like: A Storm of Swords, there was something else, but I can't remember it.

There's also chapter titles too.  I can't remember a lot of them, there's a few of the top of my head, but I'm also looking at a list.  With chapters it's harder to seperate the actual title from the chapter, so I'm not putting in things like That Which We Cannot Have and the Hoid epilogues which I was really tempted to put in.  These ones aren't in order.

WoK:

Honor is Dead

That Storming Book (just because it's funny)

Eyes of Red and Blue (I really like the story here, but it's basically just an explanation for the saying which I like, so it still counts)

Eshonai (just because I never noticed this before and setting up for the next books)

WoR (I only read this once. I wasn't really paying attention to chapter titles, so these will be more arbitrary):

Knives in the Back - Soldiers on the Field

Red Carpet, Once White

The Coldness of Clarity

Heterochromatic

Whitespine Uncaged

A Thousand Scurrying Creatures

Swallowed by the Sky

Warbreaker is my absolute favorite title.

Massive spoilers for the fore-mentioned book below.

The title fits the book so very beautifully, yet the significance of the name isn't known until virtually the last page. Such a large part of the book centers around the theme of war and preventing the horrors it brings. And one of the largest mysteries of the book is the enigma that is Vasher, whose true motivations remain unclear for so long in the book. The revelation of Vasher being Warbreaker was one of my favorite scenes in any Sanderson novel--it tied everything up with such beauty and elegance, and it sneaked it right under our noses till the very end.

It was just... beautiful.

Alright, you've convinced me.  It's been a while since I've read Warbreaker.  I remembered really liking the title, because of that element, but I couldn't remember the exact reasoning.  I move it up to #4 and everything else slides down to accommodate it except Sixth of the Dusk since it kind of has to stay in that position.

My new order: AoL, SfSitFoH, WoA, WB, TES, SotD, ToM.

Warbreaker is pretty high up there.

The Way of Kings is pretty high, too.

As is Words of Radiance.

-

Unreleased: Stones Unhallowed sounds pretty good, in an ominous way. NIGHTBLOOD also makes me very happy.

-

Other authors: Pawn of Prophecy, by David Eddings.

When Darkness Falls by Mercedes Lackey

The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordain.

-

I don't really have a list, but I like these book titles.

My favourite WoR chapter title is 'The Multiplied Strains of Simultaneous Infusion', closely followed by 'Blossoms and Cake' for spoiler reasons. :)

Book titles - I love Alloy of Law, Sixth of the Dusk and Stones Unhallowed because they're very (in my experience at least) non-traditional types of fantasy titles. Like, much as I love Way of Kings, as a title it's fairly generic and could probably fit a whole bunch of other epic fantasies. AoL, SoTD and SU just have that extra coolness to them, as does Warbreaker.

• Chaos locked this topic