Reading Mistborn For The First Time

The H

18 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

it'll only have about 20% content in common

Haha yeah, that seems to be it, but I feel like adaptations are slowly becoming more faithful, and I predict that will also be the case for the Percy Jackson series on Disney+ and the Harry Potter series on Max.

20 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Why is that strange?

I just felt that as before the time skip in TFE, Vin only had ~2 months training from Kelsier. Elend has had a year and is around as skilled as Vin was with only a few years. Granted, Elend does have duties as emperor, along with many other pressing matters to attend to. And I guess that everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I presume that Elend has more raw Investiture, but Vin has a great much more experience and skill as he.

I also forgot to add this earlier, but I'm so happy that Elend and Vin got married, having them both fighting their insecurities and weaknesses throughout the book, and both finally comforting each other. In terms of Cosmere couples, I rank them exceptionally high.

Wasing the joy of it. (I tried, but nobody can compete with Spook 😂)

13 minutes ago, Ookla The H said:

I just felt that as before the time skip in TFE, Vin only had ~2 months training from Kelsier.

It feels that way because it is over so a few chapters, and the "Vin gets injured - time passes" happens twice and messes up the timeline. I was also confused before, so I actually dug in and ran the numbers in another thread. Here's what I found:

Spoiler

BLUF*:  TFE takes place over about 16-18 months, more than 1 year passes (TFE ending in late summer/early autumn - WoA starting in mid-to-late autumn), WoA covers about four-to-six months (ending in late winter), another 15 months or so pass, then HoA starts in early-spring and takes <Spoiler Redacted>

TFE Prologue - implies early-spring planting

But could Tresting perhaps speed that up, if he worked a little harder? His skaa population had been growing lately. Perhaps if he pushed them a bit more, he could bring in an extra harvest this summer and fulfill his contract with Lord Venture in extra measure.

TFE Ch 6 - Summer, plans for over a year to prepare

“How much time do I have?” Breeze asked.

“A year,” Kelsier said. “We’ll plan this to go off next fall. Assuming the Lord Ruler does gather his forces to attack Yeden once we take the city, we might as well make him do it in the winter.”

TFE Ch 9

She burned pewter with a flash and hit the ground running, dashing along Fellise’s quiet streets. The late-autumn air was cool, but winters were generally mild in the Central Dominance. Some years passed without even a flake of snow.

TFE Ch 16

Kelsier had warned against using it too much, lest she grow dependent upon its power, but she saw little alternative until she was healed.

“That is wonderful,” Renoux said. “Perhaps, once you are feeling better, we should take lunch together on the garden balcony. It has been warm lately, despite the coming winter.”

“That would be very pleasant,” Vin said.

TFE Ch 17

It was a very mild winter, and most of the trees still held their leaves. The air felt cool, and the rustling of branches in the wind was soothing.

Almost soothing enough, in fact, to make Vin forget how annoyed she was.

TFE Ch 20 - Recovery from KS infil

She was beginning to grow frustrated with her continued weakness. It had been over three months since her encounter with the Inquisitor; the worst of winter had passed without even a flake of snow. How long was it going to take her to recover?

TFE Ch 22 - Reading the Logbook

She sighed, settling back into her wicker chair. A cool early-spring breeze blew through the lower gardens, passing over the petite fountain brook to her left. The air was comfortably moist, and the trees overhead shaded her from the afternoon sun.

TFE Ch 26 - Two weeks since the Pewter drag

She didn’t know how Kelsier had kept going, leading the remnants of their army to a safe location.

That had been over two weeks ago. Fifteen full days, and her head still hurt.

TFE Ch 32 - Implies weeks have passed since Vin killed Shan at the final ball (Houses went from finalizing alliances to outright warfare)

As the crew’s best Tineye, he usually got the most important watches. Recently, those were the ones during the early evening. That was the time when conflict among the Great Houses was most likely to turn to outright fighting.

There are few good time references after Ch 22 - but we can estimate 2-3 months since the "early-srping" reading of the logbook to the time when Marsh is "killed" - everything after than is probably 8-10 days (time for Kell to Drag to and from Hathsin, plus time there, plus recovery, then the battle in the square)

So, it's been three months just going from Ch 6 to Ch 9. Vin did learn faster than Elend, but not that much faster.  

*Note: BLUF is Bottom Line Up-Front (like a TLDR that comes before the post)

• 1 month later...

Well this is kind of awkward...

I took a break from reading after ABOSAS, as I didn't have time these last few weeks, but when I got back to it a few days ago, I just read until the end of the book without posting. 😐

Chapter 9 - 82/EPL

Sooooo much happens and I can't give my reactions to everything so I'll tell you some of my key points.

*inhales*

So Elend is sieging Fadrex City, and when he meets with Yomen, Yomen goes full scholar on my boy. Elend is late to the finding the balance between my selves, as Vin did it for the most part in the last book. He and Vin share a dance which was kind of adorable with Elend holding the same book hdjsbfuchjefdnbsuhjneds.

Spook is doing recon in Urtauaiueuaiauuieauieiiiauuaiooaeuoauoeauoeiouaauua, and tries to go all main character by telling Beldre that he will kill Quellion. Not long after he gets captured and Kelsier speaks to him. One realisation (and Hemalurgic Spike) later, he starts getting these Zane-like whispers from "Kelsier".

Sazed is also depressed so there's that.

Anyway some foolish choices by Spook and Elend later, and Vin kills every known Inquisitor (save Marsh), levels Kredik Shaw, then Ascends to Shardhood?! She does some goofy lil' tsunamis and stuff, that's okay, it only heightened her kill count a few more thousand. Demoux then snaps and becomes an Atium misting, among many others, and they use all of the Homeland's supply of Atium, with Elend absolutely destroying the Koloss on the front lines. Vin fuels his Allomancy and he becomes the literal most invested non-Shard on the planet at that time (I assume at least). Marsh then chops his head off, which left a gaping hole in my heart at that time. BRANDON KILLING OFF CHARACTERS IN SUCH A QUICK SCENE IS LITERALLYTHE SPIKE BETWEEN MY SHOULDERBLADES! 😭

Preservation literally goes against her intent and kills Ruin, killing herself in the process. This was also so depressing and I just couldn't see the Mistcouple (tm)

Sazed then takes up two Shards at once becoming the being the most Invested being in the Cosmere. Harmony re-beautifies the world back to what it was pre Final Empire. Then Spook meets up with everyone, and Ham reuniting with his family made me nearly shed a tear. Spook finds Elend and Vin dead on the grass together, which made me tear up. Spook finds the letter Sazed addressed to him among the book from the epigraphs. Spook is a Mistborn, and is cured from his Savantism. Him and Beldre share a moment and then the book ends.

Personally out of any book or movie I've ever seen, Mistborn had the best ending. I teared up throughout it and I think that it was both fulfilling and meaningful. I've never been more excited to see what happens next.

I've had fun doing this little documentation, and if I do this again for another series, I might put a reading cap/ post more often.

Glad you enjoyed the story and the ending. 

5 hours ago, The H said:

Personally out of any book or movie I've ever seen, Mistborn had the best ending. I teared up throughout it and I think that it was both fulfilling and meaningful. I've never been more excited to see what happens next.

So, we know that you have read Elantris (Intro thread). What else in the Cosmere have you read or not read (whichever list is shorter)?

Also, just a precaution (minor spoilers)

Spoiler

Note that Era 2 (starting wth Alloy of Law) is over 300 yrs after the events of HoA. Expect many changes. . .

I've had friends that read Alloy of Law without knowing what to expect, and they stopped reading the whole Cosmere because it was "too different." (granted, it was 2013 and that friend only read Elantris, TFE, WoA, HoA, and AoL - that's where they stopped)

11 hours ago, The H said:

I've had fun doing this little documentation, and if I do this again for another series, I might put a reading cap/ post more often. 

I loved the recap of the series I am rereading it again but I think doing like ten chapters per a summary would get more discussion and we would notice more details but I thought this was cool Idea. If you did this for Mistborn Era 2 I feel like that would be awesome and we could talk about more Cosmere connections 

5 hours ago, Highprince10 said:

I think doing like ten chapters per a summary would get more discussion and we would notice more details

I tried that at first but whenever I get myself into a comfortable spot, I tend to read in enormous stretches, hence the paragraphs unorganized thoughts 😅