Zeratul

Aeshdan

Zeratul

Hamartian Explorer/Scout.

Player Information

Name: ReaderAt2046 (for now)

Contact Information: Posting ought to work. I keep a good eye on 17thShard. I’ll give you may contact info later if you need it.

Character Information

Name: Zeratul

Race: Hamartian (Grayling)

Place of Origin: Shakuras (A pre-Garik city in the far East. Nothing but ruins now.)

Class: Soldier/explorer

Relationship Status:

Channeling Capacity:

The Hamartians cannot channel in the conventional sense. Rather, their bodies metabolize the ley energies. This is the only form of nourishment they require, as hinted at by the fact that they have neither noses nor mouths. While the aura around a strong Node is generally enough to sustain them, they always are seeking more. The principle way for them to store up extra leyht is to trick someone into channeling at them, as their bodies can automatically absorb any leyht directed at them. They survive through the Serpent Season off of stored leyht, much as a bear might survive through the winter off of stored fat.

Finally, the Hamartians can accelerate the rate at which they metabolize stored Leyht to enhance their physical abilities. This is rarely done, however, since it runs the risk of draining the individual’s stores.

Appearance: (Include height, build, hair, eyes, and their general demeanor in your description)

Zeratul is about 7 feet tall, with a generally insectoid build. His body is covered in a pale-grey hide, and he has two luminous blue eyes. He is clad in grayish metal armor and carries a pair of katars (swordlike weapons that strap to the wielder's forearms). As noted above, Hamartians have no nose or mouth, communicating via a form of telepathy. If you're familiar with the Protoss from StarCraft, Hamartains look very similar.

Special Skills: Swordfighting, ley science.

Strengths: Immune to ley attacks, does not need to eat or drink. Also does not need to breathe, and therefore immune to any form of gaseous poison.

Weaknesses: The same ley-metabolizing powers that shield him from hostile channeling also mean that he cannot benefit from beneficent channeling. In addition, he is highly unfamiliar with Tolvera, as his race is native to a different section of Xanthuru. His mind-speech will always seem to be in his listener’s native tongue, so he can make himself understood, but he is unfamiliar with the culture.

Personality: Rather idealistic, but rational enough to know that most people won’t trust him, especially when they have never met one of his race before. Something of a dreamer.

History: You do not know me. You have never seen one of my kind before. That is not suprising. We are the Hamartians. Where we come from, the flesh-coat-no-horns call us Graylings, and other worse things. They fear us, even when we are of use to them. And they have many reasons. First is that we are Neverborn. Our race was not spun into being by The-One-that-Are. Rather, we are a product of the Enlightened’s folly. In the great-rending-power-war, the city of Shakuras was torn to bits by dueling channels. The energies in that place and others produced the Neverborn, creatures and beasts that Great-shaper never created. In our case, it made us forever parasites on the very lifeblood of reality. Our kind feed off the ley-lines as the Green-walkers feed off the sunshine. And that is the second of the reasons the Xantheni hate us. In time, they began to accept us. We proved useful at keeping the channelers under control, for any leyht a channel turns against us only make us yet stronger. But we always existed on sufferance. Shakuras became ours, for the strong node on which it was built kept us fed, while the rouge leyht renders it uninhabitable by trueborn. Some time ago, it became known to the people of Shakuras and its surroundings that it would become necessary for one of my kind to be sent to Tolvera, though we were not told why. But it seemed possible that this quest would help us find the Eternal Conflux. Our kind dream of the Conflux. There we could live almost without fear, for the strength of that place never ebbs, and it would grant us strength and power beyond what we have ever tasted. The Conflux is life and safety to my kind. And that is why I come here.

Edited by ReaderAt2046

Okay, this one's going to be a lot easier than Ivy to work with. I'd only like to see a couple tweaks and it'll be acceptable.

First, you've worked with the world and lore I have established. Thank you. A race of 'cursed' creatures spawned out of the cataclysmic events at the end of the Xanethi Empire, only able to draw sustenance from the very force that created them and thus craving the Conflux is perfectly in flavor and a unique reason for wanting to find it as well. This is all good in my book.

My only two issues with Zeratul/the Hamartians are the age of the proposed character and their 'immunity' to leyht-based assaults. On the first, allowing something to be 603 years old creates complications with the plot I have in store for you guys, as the character would be privy to information that would fall under a 'Read-And-Find-Out' tag. I can understand the appeal of 'the old ones' archetype, but it's not really something I can permit for reasons, again, I can't really disclose :P. If it's trying to rationalize that these creatures born of leyht can't reproduce and thus just carry on until destroyed, I'd offer the compromise of a 'reproduction' through fusion of energies, the 'new' Grayling a combination of traits of the two donors, and perhaps with some very weak 'genetic memory'.

Secondly, full on immunity to the magic system just isn't something I can hand out, sorry. Being leyht parasites is perfectly acceptable, of course, but any living creature only needs to/can 'eat' so much. I can metabolize beef jerky, and I LOVE me some beef jerky, but if I ate every piece someone threw at me, eventually my stomach would rupture and I'd die. Any given Grayling would only be able to absorb so much of an incoming channeling before they hit their limit and would risk destroying themselves (and causing one heck of an explosion) by trying to absorb more. I can permit some resistance through absorption, but he won't be able to devour everything that comes his way.

Okay, this one's going to be a lot easier than Ivy to work with. I'd only like to see a couple tweaks and it'll be acceptable.

First, you've worked with the world and lore I have established. Thank you. A race of 'cursed' creatures spawned out of the cataclysmic events at the end of the Xanethi Empire, only able to draw sustenance from the very force that created them and thus craving the Conflux is perfectly in flavor and a unique reason for wanting to find it as well. This is all good in my book.

My only two issues with Zeratul/the Hamartians are the age of the proposed character and their 'immunity' to leyht-based assaults. On the first, allowing something to be 603 years old creates complications with the plot I have in store for you guys, as the character would be privy to information that would fall under a 'Read-And-Find-Out' tag. I can understand the appeal of 'the old ones' archetype, but it's not really something I can permit for reasons, again, I can't really disclose :P. If it's trying to rationalize that these creatures born of leyht can't reproduce and thus just carry on until destroyed, I'd offer the compromise of a 'reproduction' through fusion of energies, the 'new' Grayling a combination of traits of the two donors, and perhaps with some very weak 'genetic memory'.

Secondly, full on immunity to the magic system just isn't something I can hand out, sorry. Being leyht parasites is perfectly acceptable, of course, but any living creature only needs to/can 'eat' so much. I can metabolize beef jerky, and I LOVE me some beef jerky, but if I ate every piece someone threw at me, eventually my stomach would rupture and I'd die. Any given Grayling would only be able to absorb so much of an incoming channeling before they hit their limit and would risk destroying themselves (and causing one heck of an explosion) by trying to absorb more. I can permit some resistance through absorption, but he won't be able to devour everything that comes his way.

On the first issue, the age change has already been implemented. While we're on the topic, I'd always intended the Hamartians to be capable of reproduction and aging. I'll postulate that they have a total lifespan of two-three centuries.

On the second, let's say there's a maximum limit to how fast a Grayling can absorb leyht.

For example, suppose Zeratul can absorb 100 AHU's of leyht per time unit. If Sayuri throws a 50 AHU bolt at him, he'll absorb all of it and it does nothing. But if she throws a 150 AHU bolt, 50 AHUs will get through and hit him, while the other hundred will be absorbed and do nothing except strengthen him.

A few minor notes:

First, I'm really looking forward to Zeratul meeting Sayuri. Considering how the Leyari feel about the Ley Lines, her reactions should be...interesting.

Second, notes on Hamartian mindspeak: Unless you've practiced controlling your thoughts, your mental messages will be accompanied by a scrim of whatever you happen to be thinking. Hamartians don't usually project random thoughts, because they master mental silence very young. Hamartians do have a sense of hearing, and this coupled with the fact that the vocalized thougts are usually strongest means that they can pick out the intended message. Also, please note that the receiver "hears" the Hamartian speaking in whatever language he (the person receiving the message) thinks in.

Third, please note that Zeratul can always sense the state of the Ley Lines in the immediate vicinity, and tell when somebody's channeling.

I think it would be cool for the two to interact as well. IT will be interesting to see how Sayuri responds, especially since she has gone against the values of her culture officially, but many of them are still a part of her, since she was raised by them.

On the first issue, the age change has already been implemented. While we're on the topic, I'd always intended the Hamartians to be capable of reproduction and aging. I'll postulate that they have a total lifespan of two-three centuries.

On the second, let's say there's a maximum limit to how fast a Grayling can absorb leyht.

Thank you!

For example, suppose Zeratul can absorb 100 AHU's of leyht per time unit. If Sayuri throws a 50 AHU bolt at him, he'll absorb all of it and it does nothing. But if she throws a 150 AHU bolt, 50 AHUs will get through and hit him, while the other hundred will be absorbed and do nothing except strengthen him.

And yes, that is precisely what I would like to see, though frankly I think giving leyht a unit/value is going a bit too number-crunchy for a forum RP. For the easiest solution, I will basically be monitoring the absorption (since I'll be reading everything anyway XD) and let you know if I feel he should be reasonably at his limits for the 'scene'. I DO appreciate that you gave this ability the drawback of being resistant to beneficial impact as well.

Well, the main issues have been addressed, so as soon as I see a change in the 'immunity', I can stamp this one as Approved :).