Iron, Steel and some other metal questions

Tulir

Iron and steel are visual abilities, right? Blue lines point to sources of metal. So how do:

Inquisitors see? They're vision would be covered with blue lines. How can they tell color, too?

AofL spoilers

How does Ranette pull metals to her from behind her?

What is the range for bronze?

What are the ratios for all the metals in Mistborn? I plan on making a collection of them.

Iron and steel are visual abilities, right? Blue lines point to sources of metal. So how do:

Inquisitors see? They're vision would be covered with blue lines. How can they tell color, too?

Seeing wouldn't be to much of a problem the brain is amazingly adaptive when it comes to your data source for vision.(See this) Yes all they would have is blue lines but lines to closer items would be thicker. Also I believe that they are iron/steel savants - that allows them to see the tiny amounts of metal in everyday items. So it would take some time to adapt but I think that they could do it.

Color I am a little less sure of. If a savant could tell the difference between types of metal then maybe they could determine the color by the metal contents of the dye but that seems a little far stretched to me.

Edited by discipleofhoid

What are the ratios for all the metals in Mistborn? I plan on making a collection of them.

For the base metals (tin, iron, gold, etc), they're pure. Most of the alloys we don't know, with two exceptions: pewter is 91% tin, 9% lead and bronze is 75% copper, 25% tin.

Sources: The Final Empire, Ch. 6; A House of Ashes, Ch. 6

We've seen allomancers simultaneously Push/Pull on objects directly in front of and behind them, a la Vin opening the Kredik Shaw storage cache/Well by pulling on the door and an object behind her at the same time.

The "blue lines" that allomancers see are probably just a mental crutch and/or make it easier to differentiate targets. I doubt that Inquisitors are limited to the normal human field of view. All iron/steel allomancers can probably still "sense" metals out of their line of sight, especially when they already know it's there.

Edited by Kurkistan

For the base metals (tin, iron, gold, etc), they're pure. Most of the alloys we don't know, with two exceptions: pewter is 91% tin, 9% lead and bronze is 75% copper, 25% tin.

Sources: The Final Empire, Ch. 6; A House of Ashes, Ch. 6

We do know two others: Duralumin is 96% aluminum and 4% copper (see the metallurgist's note in early WoA) and electrum is 55% gold and 45% silver. (The Lord Ruler gives the ratio)

AofL spoilers

How does Ranette pull metals to her from behind her?

What is the range for bronze?

Near the end of Mistborn 1, we have an inquisitor POV where he describes what everything looks like from an inquisitor's point of view.

http://books.google.com/books?id=q0pF7ly_vTEC&lpg=PP1&dq=mistborn&pg=PA620#v=onepage&q=mistborn&f=false

According to Wikipedia, Bendalloy (the article is actually Wood's Metal) is, rounding the percentages, 50% bismuth, 27% lead, 13% tin, and 10% cadmium.

Also according to Wikipedia, Nicrosil is, again rounding percentages, 15% chromium, 2% silicon, and 83% nickel.

What I'm not sure about is that all of the other alloys are more than 50% the base metal they're paired up with. These two aren't. Maybe Brandon has different percentages and just picked names that are close to the metal he created. Another thing, all of the others are only two metals. These are three or four.

Still wondering about steel and brass.

UPDATE: I did some more research and it seems that the highest carbon content steel can have is 2%. Anything higher becomes classified as cast iron. And since Brandon tends to use whole number percentages, and the lowest one we've seen so far is 4%, it makes sense that Allomantic steel would be 98% iron, 2% carbon. (We do have proof, in the beginning of WoA, that Allomantic steel is made up of iron and carbon.)

Edited by Ironeyes

According to Wikipedia, Bendalloy (the article is actually Wood's Metal) is, rounding the percentages, 50% bismuth, 27% lead, 13% tin, and 10% cadmium.

Also according to Wikipedia, Nicrosil is, again rounding percentages, 15% chromium, 2% silicon, and 83% nickel.

What I'm not sure about is that all of the other alloys are more than 50% the base metal they're paired up with. These two aren't. Maybe Brandon has different percentages and just picked names that are close to the metal he created. Another thing, all of the others are only two metals. These are three or four.

Still wondering about steel and brass.

UPDATE: I did some more research and it seems that the highest carbon content steel can have is 2%. Anything higher becomes classified as cast iron. And since Brandon tends to use whole number percentages, and the lowest one we've seen so far is 4%, it makes sense that Allomantic steel would be 98% iron, 2% carbon. (We do have proof, in the beginning of WoA, that Allomantic steel is made up of iron and carbon.)

I don't think we can trust that the percentages in our world are acurate. Allomantic metals don't necessarily correspond to the ordinary form of that metal. (Kel discusses this point when he's explaining that you have to test your metals before burning them).

• Chaos locked this topic