Cognitive Shadows on Roshar

WeiryWriter

So I was originally going to hold off sharing this until I finished my re-write of my Stormfather theory.  I however just haven't spent as much time on that as I should be so it's taking a little while.  Anyway enjoy a frustratingly unhelpful WoB about Cognitive Shadows on Roshar!

tumblr_n9a4q8aTDd1sfbh10o1_500.jpg

When I was ordering my copy, the website (or the blog?) said that I can't have both signatures (from all the authors) and personalization...

That's correct.  From what I hear getting the 200 or so signed by all four was enough of a hassle in and of itself so personalizations weren't an option.  Which is why I only got the Brandon one (and it was cheaper which was nice).

Oh, right. I remember that was an option too. I figured I could always ask him to answer something during a signing. Plus, I will probably see him at a signing before the other three, so there's that too...

But on topic.I think I can buy the "Stormfather is Tanavast's cognitive shadow" theory. It makes sense and it fits the facts. My only hesitation comes from how unexplored cognitive shadows are through the published Cosmere novels. Would Brandon use the Stormfather, who describes himself as a Honor's spren to Dalinar, as a means to introduce the concept? My concern comes from how similar cognitive shadows and spren are - so putting both in the same book, and having the first shadow we encounter describe himself as a spren - even though that might be just for Dalinar's sake - might be... I don't know, confusing to anyone not lurking around the 17th Shard.

Am I making sense here? My counter-argument is meta, I guess.

I'm surprised he didn't RAFO you outright, Weiry... :P

Oh, right. I remember that was an option too. I figured I could always ask him to answer something during a signing. Plus, I will probably see him at a signing before the other three, so there's that too...

But on topic.I think I can buy the "Stormfather is Tanavast's cognitive shadow" theory. It makes sense and it fits the facts. My only hesitation comes from how unexplored cognitive shadows are through the published Cosmere novels. Would Brandon use the Stormfather, who describes himself as a Honor's spren to Dalinar, as a means to introduce the concept? My concern comes from how similar cognitive shadows and spren are - so putting both in the same book, and having the first shadow we encounter describe himself as a spren - even though that might be just for Dalinar's sake - might be... I don't know, confusing to anyone not lurking around the 17th Shard.

Am I making sense here? My counter-argument is meta, I guess.

That's why I've begun to mentally list cognitive shadows, spren, seons, skaz, and Nightblood as cognitive entities that can be differentiated according to world and the effects the local Shards/Investiture have on them. On Roshar, one could expect a cognitive entity (especially one that has a Splinter and a whole lot of religious belief behind it) to act like a spren due to the presence of Cultivation cultivating ideas...even if it's technically not a cognitive transformative entity.

Edited by Nymp

• 3 months later...

I saw something that hinted that we have seen another cognitive shadow from the Idaho Falls signing

Q - Were there Cadmium/Bendalloy and possibly Chromium/Nicrosil mistings in the Final Empire? If yes, were the mists Snapping those too?

A - Um, yes, there were, but since the mists were trying to create a pattern to be a sign, and people didn't know all the metals, they (the mists) had to use substitutions. They were acting the way we've seen other cognitive shadows, who are deceased.

And the only thing that we have seen that could be a cognitive shadow that we haven't been outright told is one is the Stormfather. 

Link is here.

Edited by gjustice99

• Chaos locked this topic