Instances of Rand touching saidin/channeling (Eye of the World spoilers)

Bunnyburn

I did a quick scan through a few pages to see if this had been discussed, so sorry if I missed it.

I am currently re-reading the series, and I am about halfway through Eye of the World, and I have been surprised at the number of times Rand touches/uses the Power, that are simply invisible on the first read.

The first one I caught was when the group was fleeing after Winternight. Rand uses the Power to refresh Bela.

'If Bela fell back, he would fall back, too, whatever Moiraine and Lan had to say about it. Back where the Fade and the Trollocs were. Back where the Draghkar was. With all his heart and desperation he silently shouted at Bela to run like the wind, silently tried to will strength into her. Run! His skin prickled, and his bones felt as if they were freezing, ready to split open. The Light help her, run! And Bela ran.'

And again in Baerlon, after Mat plays the prank on the Whitecloaks.

'Rand moved to cover the sword, but instead swept his cloak back over his shoulder. In the back of his head was a frantic wonder at what he was doing, but it was a distant thought. "Accidents happen," he said. "Even to the Childreb of the Light.....' Bornhald asks some questions.....

'"I just arrived in Baerlon." A tingling thrill ran along Rand's arms and legs. He felt flushed, almost warm.'

Some more cocky banter from Rand....

The tingling filles Rand; the heat had grown to a fever. He wanted to laugh, it felt so good. A small voice in his head shouted that something was wrong, but all he could think of was how full of energy he felt, nearly bursting with it.'

A fee paragraphs later, it describes Rand releases the source.

Ans once again, he uses the Power while sitting atop the mast of Domon's craft, after the flight from Shadar Logoth, but I am tires of transcribing from the book with my phone, so I will let you guys find it.

I am sure plenty of folks have notices these instances, or possibly seeked them out, but I haven't yet. :P

Anyone see any more instances? I don't remember exactly when Rand discovers and recognizes that he can channel, but let's stick to finding moments of unintentional and unrecognized instances of channeling.

Edited by Bunnyburn

When Rand and Mat stop at an inn on the way to Caemlyn, the inn with the darkfriends that lock them into the backroom, he calls down a lightning bolt. That one's a dead give away that Rand can channel because he gets really sick afterwards. Mat get's blinded for a while because of the light.

I'm interested in the topic but I haven't read that book in about 2 years now. The lightning came to mind as Leftinch said. I really came here to complement your profile picture - I've almost set the keywork as mine several times, but I try to stick to Fantasy images. I'm headed to their concert in Charlotte next month :)

When Rand and Mat stop at an inn on the way to Caemlyn, the inn with the darkfriends that lock them into the backroom, he calls down a lightning bolt. That one's a dead give away that Rand can channel because he gets really sick afterwards. Mat get's blinded for a while because of the light.

Interesting. From a totally ignorant point of view, it could be missed. I still remember my bafflement when

Rand discovers he is the Dragon Reborn.

So I am not surprised I missed that on my first read. I think I chalked it up to random luck.

I'm interested in the topic but I haven't read that book in about 2 years now. The lightning came to mind as Leftinch said. I really came here to complement your profile picture - I've almost set the keywork as mine several times, but I try to stick to Fantasy images. I'm headed to their concert in Charlotte next month :)

They are the greatest band in the history of time. ...(imo)... Congrats on getting to see them. :)

Interesting. From a totally ignorant point of view, it could be missed. I still remember my bafflement when

Rand discovers he is the Dragon Reborn.

So I am not surprised I missed that on my first read. I think I chalked it up to random luck.

They are the greatest band in the history of time. ...(imo)... Congrats on getting to see them. :)

No worries, I missed it on my first run too, which I later thought was shocking. (I seriously didn't intend on that being a pun) 

My favorite band too. They are on another level once you understand what they have going on top of the pure musical talent.... but I'll stop hijacking your board, haha.

I started rereading the series recently after only managing to make it through book nine on my last read-through. It's really surprising how much clever foreshadowing there is in the early books.