the silent lurker emerges

Fieri

Been silently lurking around actually for quite a while now but was always too lazy to sign up lol

Anyways, discovered the shard while I was tearing through Words of Radiance at the most frightening speed, and it has brought me both extreme joy (interesting theories! diverse opinions! crazy ships!)

..and extreme pain (turns out I have absolutely no self control and just CANNOT keep myself from reading spoilers. If I prematurely click into spoiler topics for KOWT next year I SWEAR I'm going hit myself with a brick.) As an avid reader of books with a four-digit page count, I love how many of the responses here are really long (in the good way) and well thought out.

Currently I've finished SA and am open to other Cosmere recommendations!

All right, time to go back to lurking beneath the surface. Hope I'm posting this the right way...

Welcome to the Shard fellow traveler! I recommend you explore the worlds of Mistborn and Warbreaker. Mistborn is the largest series in the Cosmere, while Warbreaker is a stand-alone novel. The recent secret projects are also excellent stand-alone novels, but they make several references to other worlds in the Cosmere, so I recommend you read those later. Who was your favorite character in the Stormlight Archive?

Sure thx, I'll check them out!

I'm a really predictable reader in that by default, I'm more invested in the main character with the most screen time. So...Kaladin, definitely. Jasnah's a rather close second, because I feel I share the most with her character.

That being said, I like and like reading about all of the protagonists. Is this weird? Maybe I've read too many hate threads, but I sort of get the vibe that this is weird. Funny thing is that I genuinely enjoy hate threads.

The girl who stood up, because of the great interactions between Shallan's illusions and Wit's illusions. That one just really clicked for me. Fleet is a close second. However, I'm still waiting for Wit to tell Jasnah a story...that would just be delightful.

On 7/10/2023 at 1:30 PM, Fieri said:

That being said, I like and like reading about all of the protagonists. Is this weird? Maybe I've read too many hate threads, but I sort of get the vibe that this is weird. Funny thing is that I genuinely enjoy hate threads.

Nah, it's not weird, Kaladin's a great protagonist. There are a few novels where I prefer the side characters, but Sanderson has written plenty of other good protagonists. And yeah, hate threads are fun to read through, even if I disagree with them. Forums become dull if everyone has the same opinion on everything.