Ym and the One: Religion of founding a new Adonalsium?

Darkarma

Starting page 174 (Or about 177 in the digital version) with Ym the the shoe cobbler, he mentions One that was once knew everything and experienced nothing, That he became many, people to experience things.

That sounds to me both like general creation and the shattering given how humanity blossomed across the cosmere after Adonalsium was Shattered.

I wonder if Hoid had a role in the founding of the One.

The seventh land being attained sounds a lot like finding a shard or forging a new one through people's individually bits of investment into something new. Could that be the 17th shards objective? Instead of putting Andonalsium back together they helped foster spreading humanity across the cosmos to generate enough investiture of some sort to create something new on par with the original Adonalsium? From human experience? We know that there is an afterlife of sorts and considering how many worlds have been founded with human life, that's a lot of life experiences being sent to one place. Some of whom have touched and worked with slivers and shards. We know Cosmere humans have something equivalent to a soul and its one of the few things that essentially created from absolutely nothing of importance where the laws of physics are concerned.so it doesn't violate conservation of energy/matter. Seems like if you could tap into that and harvest it you could forge a new Adonalsium that would have all those nasty welded lines between the individual shards.

Meaning you wouldn't have to find the shards and collect them, instead you grow new ones in a single location instead in cosmere heaven when all those different people can eventually come to reflect the different intents. And and it fits with the whole motiff of humans becoming gods that we've seen throughout Brandon's work

Gestalt god.

Thoughts?

I wondered what the "Fourth Land" and "Seventh Land" was. I thought maybe it related to Shard Worlds, or planets in the Roshar system, or maybe just books in the stormlight archive. Nothing really seems to fit.

Another variation of your theory could perhaps just be something like this: Instead of all people's souls coming together to form a new shard, what if all investiture just came together. That would include the investiture from all the humans, spren, awakened objects, etc. The resulting shard could include all the experiences gained from the sentience of anything that held the investiture, even if it did not include the souls of the humans themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always found religion odd in the Cosmere, with the exception of the Mistborn Trilogy all religions seem to reference either the Shards assigned to that world or Adonalsium.

What about Sazed and Harmony? The merging of Ruin and Preservation must have warped their shardic intent massively, would this mean that all of the shards couldn't be put back together now as they wouldn't fit?

• Chaos locked this topic