Hemalurgic groupings

sententiadominus

After the new information came out about feruchemical powers (and resparked my enthusiasm), I went back to see if I could make any sense of hemalurgy. I put the different types of 'stuff' stolen on the circle diagram that came out for the allomantic metals. It is attached.

Key:

Yellow - Human attributes stolen

Blue - Allomantic powers stolen

Red - Feruchemical powers stolen

Green - Unknown

While there are obvious groupings, and established links between allomantic metal powers and hemalurgically stolen powers (i.e. physical and physical), the arrangement of stolen feruchemy and stolen allomancy doesn't seem to follow a nice pattern.

Can anyone shed light or does anyone have ideas that might satisfy my confusion and curiosity?

post-1109-0-32214300-1320463887_thumb.jp

Edited by sententiadominus

Personally, I suspect that, being more of Ruin, Hemalurgy is inconsistent by design. It's not necessarily illogical, just not neatly organized. If we order the metals in each quadrant by

1) External pulling

2) External pushing

3) Internal pulling

4) Internal pushing

a pattern starts to emerge. Look at which metals steal allomantic powers: metal 2 of the physical quadrant, metal 4 of the mental quadrant, and metal 3 of the enhancement quadrant. Now compare to the feruchemical stealers: metal 4 of the physical quadrant, metal 2 of the mental quadrant, metal 3 of the temporal quadrant. Note how each system (allomancy and feruchemy) has a different number for each quadrant. I suspect that means that metal 1 of the temporal quadrant (cadmium) steals allomantic temporal powers and metal 1 of the enhancement quadrant (chromium) steals feruchemical enhancement (or, more to the point, spiritual) powers (chromium). Hemalurgy is a strange magic and I believe it follows a strange logic for how its metals work.

So, each of allomancy and feruchemy are stolen through a 1, 2, 3 and 4 metal (going by your notation)?

Would, then, metals 2 and four of the enhancement quadrant steal spiritual human attributes and metals 2 and 4 of the temporal quadrant steal whatever temporal links to?

Also interesting to note that, although not very helpful in this case, pulling metals are elements and pushing metals are alloys.

Edited by sententiadominus

So, each of allomancy and feruchemy are stolen through a 1, 2, 3 and 4 metal (going by your notation)?

Would, then, metals 2 and four of the enhancement quadrant steal spiritual human attributes and metals 2 and 4 of the temporal quadrant steal whatever temporal links to?

Also interesting to note that, although not very helpful in this case, pulling metals are elements and pushing metals are alloys.

That first and second parts are my guess. The pulling/pushing element/alloy pairing is just a natural part of allomancy; I don't know if that applies to the other systems, I was just using the standard allomantic terminology for a clear ordering.

Edited by Musicspren

• Chaos locked this topic