Of opposites

Satsuoni

Ok, so I am really unsure of this theory, too little evidence. But it have to be said.

So, we know that Windrunners have two Surges: gravity and adhesion. What I have noticed is that they can only create and/or strengthen both forces. For example, Szeth cannot unstick objects, reducing adhesion, or weaken the gravity pull -just compensate for it with the opposite one. We also know that other Radiants share a surge with with windrunners. So my theory is this - other orders have the second half of ability, that is, they can for example, weaken gravity and reduce adhesion or intramolecular bondsor whatever that is. That would explain why some radiant would prefer running on walls, and some flying for example - although windrunners can fly (somehow), it apparently is not very natural for them, since their ability is to stick to stuff. It is a little like push and pull in Allomancy.

In case of Jasnah and Shallan, it can be like Shallan changing stuff FROM and Jasnah INTO other essences, or something like that. Very subjective... So I am not sure, but if true, i called it. :rolleyes:

I am afraid I may stomp this theory =\

We know that Szeth's Lashings do, in fact, work both ways. I can't give you anything on adhesion, but during his assassination mission in Kholinar (?) he:

• Changes the direction of the gravitational pull (irrelevant)
  • Increases the strength of the pull. When fighting against Gavilar, he Lashes himself several times in a quick succession to gain impossible acceleration; later, he Lashes the terrace multiple times, to cause it to collapse due to abnormal gravity.
  • Decreases the strength of the pull. I am not sure if it happens during this battle, but I know he uses half Lashing (or quarter Lashing?) to make himself fall slower.

In addition to this, Windrunners fly by changing the direction gravity pulls on them, or so I speculate. They don't "fly", per se, they just fall in the wrong direction.

Well, that is the point. He changes the direction of the pull, so that half of his weight goes upward, and half still goes downward, so he becomes weightless. Or a quarter upwards, so he becomes half-weight. So, redirection and strengthening only - he does not unlash himself from earth, or cancel the pull. As for the flying abilities of windrunners - two possible explanations: 1. They somehow lash to the shardplate (from inside, as it does not work from the outside), becoming weightless in respect to the earth, and then jump and lash in the general direction of flight. 2. they lash to the celestial objects (does lashing has distance limit?) Roshar has three moons, so by balancing the pull they may choose direction somewhat.

Still, this theory does have many holes. That is why I am not sure about it.

Lashing does not need to be to a specific thing, it can be done in any direction just as easily IIRC. As for the theory, I think that Stormlight can only add energy (bonds, gravity, transformation etc...) in its magic, and that Voidbinding has all of the opposites. This fits well with Voidbinding's destructive connotations, as taking all of the adhesion away from a rock would turn it to dust, and doing it to a person would melt them.

I don't think that your Jasnah/Shallan thought is right either. It doesn't seem like Shallan's powers work better starting with the ten essences, but she does change the goblet into one of them.

I would be surprised if opposed powers were not present somewhere, but I don't think that it happens within surgebinding.

The thing about Full Lashings is that the Surge behind them isn't actually adhesion, it's atmospheric pressure, which could have a large number of interpretations. My personal theory is that Jasnah's Stormlightning is the other side of the atmospheric pressure surge.

I agree with ulyssesword, that Voidbinding may be the opposite to Surgebinding (though I doubt it would be such direct opposites), but the opposites aren't within Surgebinding itself.

To ulyssesword: I don't know, he always seemed to refer to his lashings as "lashing to something", not just direction. I may be wrong though.

To Silius: Not enough info to go on. The atmospheric pressure is the theory of the writer. How it can hold the door in it's frame is unclear, though. Also, I always thought that Stormlightning was just remote Soulcast. I mean the body does no necessary move when in Shadesmar. So you could just swim to target bead, touch and change it. No idea how it would look like from the side. But maybe it it another ability altogether. Also, there are enhancing and diminishing fabrials, and fabrials do not seem to be of Voidbinding. Still, maybe Voidbinding does hold opposites. This is mainly to promote discussion anyway.

To ulyssesword: I don't know, he always seemed to refer to his lashings as "lashing to something", not just direction. I may be wrong though.

From WoK hardcover, pp 448 (Interlude 6)

[szeth] reached down with his free hand and infused the stone circle with Light, Lashing it toward the northwestern section of the sky. Lashing something to a distant point like that was possible, but imprecise. It was like trying to shoot an arrow a great distance.

To CrazyRioter: Ok. Could you please find the reference? Also, Pressure in general or Air Pressure?

To ulyssessword: I stand corrected. It appears that he can lash to any point, not just objects. The other points (about strengthening/redirecting) still stand though.

To ulyssessword: I stand corrected. It appears that he can lash to any point, not just objects. The other points (about strengthening/redirecting) still stand though.

This is pretty much the only place where Szeth lashes to "air", he usually lashes only to nearby walls or objects. The "flight" of the Radiants however shows that you must be able to lash to far off things, since they "fly" in the open quite a lot. Are they actually lashing themselves to distant stars? Maybe...

Szeth also lashes himself to a distant point down a hallway in the beginning whereas everywhere else he is lashing to objects and Walls so this sounds like a non specific point

Also jasnah can make q raft out of beads in shadesmar right? And the goblet seems to be a bead so if she has that much control she can make a raft I guess she could just summon the beads that need to change (like the 2 ppl running away), she seems to be a little practiced!

I do agree that they don't appear to be able to remove gravity or pressure just add it

Edited by Wispsy

Yes. I just thought he needed an object for lashing, but apparently direction is just as good. Also, yeah, she may have summoned the beads or floated to them. Either way, I think it is the same surge she shares with Shallan, Transformation or whatever its proper name is, not a separate ability.

So, anyway, I don't know about opposites being, well, directly opposite. I still have the feeling that Radiants sharing a surge use it differently, so while the surge is the same, the abilities may not be fully overlapping. (A more general form of the above).

• Chaos locked this topic