HD Remakes of Stormlight Maps - Roshar, Shadesmar & Alethkar

Stoneward13

4 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

Looks like you've already taken my advice (before I even gave you it) from your into post. These are fantastic! I think I seen these on the Stormlight reddit too! (I mod there also)

Thank you! Yeah, I posted them all over the place over there, so no doubt you saw them :) 

4 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

I definitely did! Well done! You should do other Cosmere things! :D

That's the hope! I'm not very artistically gifted outside of mapmaking, but I'd love to keep making more maps. That being said, I'm unsure what to adapt in my own style next. The Elendel Basin, perhaps? Or should I do something that hasn't already been made in the official art, like Nalthis/Hallendren or the archipelago from Sixth of the Dusk? 

19 minutes ago, Stoneward13 said:

That's the hope! I'm not very artistically gifted outside of mapmaking, but I'd love to keep making more maps. That being said, I'm unsure what to adapt in my own style next. The Elendel Basin, perhaps? Or should I do something that hasn't already been made in the official art, like Nalthis/Hallendren or the archipelago from Sixth of the Dusk? 

You're more gifted than I, and probably most! I'd quite like to see some Mistborn work but can't really complain if you do something. The archipelago from Sixth of the Dusk would always be intriguing!

33 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

You're more gifted than I, and probably most! I'd quite like to see some Mistborn work but can't really complain if you do something. The archipelago from Sixth of the Dusk would always be intriguing!

Well if I have my way, I'll make them all :) I've been making maps for over 10 years now, and with any luck I'll still be making them the next 50 years as well, haha. 

14 minutes ago, ChickenLiberty said:

These are great -- but just know that the Expanse of the Broken Sky has not yet been confirmed, and it wouldn't be good if prints were made, just for new info to potentially change one.

Ah yes, you are correct there. I said the same thing in my original post on reddit, but forgot to put it in here. That particular map probably wouldn't be the best for prints to be made of, at least not yet. 

I do think it's a very strong possibility that it refers to Ashyn, but it would suck to be wrong about that and have a wrong print on hand, haha. 

It's a bit too sparse of a map in general, honestly. I played around with the idea of including the locations revealed in Oathbringer in Shadesmar, but felt that it would make the map too lopsided, with only locations in a portion of the eastern half. I'd love to revisit it once more locations are revealed, and after the Expanse of the Broken Sky is confirmed. 

Hi there!

I think these maps are super cool! You did a great job!

However, as for selling them, according to the Fan Art policy, that won't work: https://faq.brandonsanderson.com/knowledge-base/can-i-make-fan-art-or-write-fan-fiction/

It pretty explicitly says you won't be able to sell them.

8 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Hi there!

I think these maps are super cool! You did a great job!

However, as for selling them, according to the Fan Art policy, that won't work: https://faq.brandonsanderson.com/knowledge-base/can-i-make-fan-art-or-write-fan-fiction/

It pretty explicitly says you won't be able to sell them.

In that link, it does state "You may sell prints and stickers of your fan art and other transformative works at your regional convention." 

My maps are based off the art inside the books, but they are original creations. I create them from scratch. And he says you can sell prints of them off of deviant art or at a regional convention. Wouldn't these fall under that bullet point? I'm genuinely curious. 

I don't think that's what transformative works means in this context. For example, if someone did a recreation of one of the book covers, that wouldn't be transformative. This is the same.

At least I think that's how this works. It feels like Dragonsteel would want to prohibit such use of the IP. I'd suggest you email [email protected] to ask them.

9 hours ago, Chaos said:

I don't think that's what transformative works means in this context. For example, if someone did a recreation of one of the book covers, that wouldn't be transformative. This is the same.

At least I think that's how this works. It feels like Dragonsteel would want to prohibit such use of the IP. I'd suggest you email [email protected] to ask them.

You may be right. I will email them and see if I can get a definitive answer. And while it's a long shot, I'd love to see if they'd be interested in using them in one of their 10th Anniversary editions, if they think they are high enough quality. We'll see :) Thank you for your help. 

Wow! These are fantastic maps. Nice job! Definitely high enough quality to be considered for publication. However, The Way of Kings leatherbound is already set in stone at this point. What Chaos said above is right, though. The shape of these maps is protected by copyright as much as the symbols for the Knights Radiant are. I spend a lot of time reading the books and taking notes, sketching land masses, throwing away drawings as we refine everything from coastlines to typefaces used for cities, and working with Brandon to get everything how we want it. Just like I do when he and I work on a symbol together. So I'd respectfully ask that you not sell prints of your versions.

All that said, it's cool to see what you're doing here. Your versions are easily among the best of the fan-made maps I've seen. DM me your info, if you'd like, and I'll put you on my list of people who do amazing maps. I sometimes share this list with authors and publishers who are looking for mapmakers.

49 minutes ago, IsasikShulin said:

Wow! These are fantastic maps. Nice job! Definitely high enough quality to be considered for publication. However, The Way of Kings leatherbound is already set in stone at this point. What Chaos said above is right, though. The shape of these maps is protected by copyright as much as the symbols for the Knights Radiant are. I spend a lot of time reading the books and taking notes, sketching land masses, throwing away drawings as we refine everything from coastlines to typefaces used for cities, and working with Brandon to get everything how we want it. Just like I do when he and I work on a symbol together. So I'd respectfully ask that you not sell prints of your versions.

All that said, it's cool to see what you're doing here. Your versions are easily among the best of the fan-made maps I've seen. DM me your info, if you'd like, and I'll put you on my list of people who do amazing maps. I sometimes share this list with authors and publishers who are looking for mapmakers.

I totally understand, and I appreciate you explaining it as well. It seemed like a long shot, but I couldn't help but ask :) Thank you for your compliments as well, they mean a lot coming from you, as well as from Brandon himself on Reddit. You've both made my whole year, haha. I'll DM you my info, also. Thank you again for everything and for the amazing artwork you've given all of us. 

On 9/23/2019 at 10:24 AM, Stoneward13 said:

Hello! I've been remaking some of the maps from the Stormlight Archive books the past few weeks and posting them to Reddit. People there seemed to like them, and suggested that I also post them here so that others can see them as well. So here I am, doing just that. So far I've adapted 3 of the maps in the series into my own style. The main Roshar map, a map of Shadesmar, and most recently a map of Alethkar. All 3 of them were a lot of fun to make and turned out really well.

I've received some interest in people buying prints of these, but I'm unsure how to go about requesting permission to print these out and sell them, and don't want to step on any toes. If anyone knows a bit about how I'd contact Brandon or Dragonsteel Entertainment to request permission, I'd really appreciate it. And while it's a long shot, I'd also love to ask them what they think about including one of these in their 10th Anniversary editions of Way of Kings or Words of Radiance.

(I think the images might have been compressed when I uploaded them, so here they are in my Google Drive, uncompressed:
Alethkarhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1plOlOIFv8d-B0kM9CrJO_Vs7cimGMhEZ/view?usp=drivesdk
Rosharhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/10RAxGyBKuFX_xiagJ6YIDXDPofrL4N-I/view?usp=drivesdk
Shadesmarhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tx_WcUFkjveL0B3QXfhQtHF18mU3HhgD/view?usp=drivesdk

5d88f9e22102a_AlethkarReimagined.thumb.png.31da6a72be99ae71bd670965640ac9f0.png

received_2371365369565306.thumb.png.1df30adbfe5d7bab5c4be9f28713ee3e.png

5d88f9eb4a332_ShadesmarReimagined.thumb.png.e8e229d752ea9a7e947c107ebb50829f.png

Wow those are absolutely amazing!  Have any other works? 

4 minutes ago, Hakedohn said:

Wow those are absolutely amazing!  Have any other works? 

I sure do, lots and lots haha. Although I'm not very good at keeping it up to date, I do have a Deviant Art page here: https://www.deviantart.com/stoneward13/gallery . I try to do a variety of styles of map, so they aren't going to look like these 3 Stormlight maps I did, but I'm sure you'll see similarities in my style across some of them. 

3 minutes ago, Stoneward13 said:

I sure do, lots and lots haha. Although I'm not very good at keeping it up to date, I do have a Deviant Art page here: https://www.deviantart.com/stoneward13/gallery . I try to do a variety of styles of map, so they aren't going to look like these 3 Stormlight maps I did, but I'm sure you'll see similarities in my style across some of them. 

Amazing work :)

2 minutes ago, Keeper Exile said:

Kelek's breath! I just checked your Deviant Art page, and you are incredible!

You have incredible timing, I literally just finished uploading about 10 maps I'd been sitting on haha. The positive reception to these Stormlight maps made me realize I should upload all of my older maps I'd never uploaded. 

But anyway, I'm happy you like them all! I try to make a wide variety of styles to keep things interesting :)