Cosmere Postal Service

IcyLetters

So I recently asked Brandon on Reddit about how Hoid sent the letters to Frost and vice versa during stormlight. He got back to me with this " He's not using it, but there is active trade between several of the planets (and a version of a postal service.)". So that had me wondering what other kind of parallels there were in the cognitive realm. Like how huge is trade in between realms, I assume pretty large. Here are the messages.

5c956eec21196_BrandonSandersonCosmerePostalService.PNG.d1325960bd0d021ffa2bea03dbe87b33.PNG

Edited by IcyLetters

We know Hoid has many protégés throughout the cosmere. It’s possible he could be using some of them as messengers? Maybe he has access to a long distance communication device similar to a spanreed which can be used without stormlight. Frost probably doesn’t have much access to stormlight.

5 minutes ago, The Ryshadium said:

We know Hoid has many protégés throughout the cosmere. It’s possible he could be using some of them as messengers? Maybe he has access to a long distance communication device similar to a spanreed which can be used without stormlight. Frost probably doesn’t have much access to stormlight.

I did not know Hoid had proteges at all. It's not on the Coppermind as far as I know. Everything is more or less pure speculation at this point. I believe Frost isn't a world hopper so the only way he could get stormlight is if someone delivered spheres to him, which is possible just less easily available.

12 minutes ago, IcyLetters said:

I did not know Hoid had proteges at all. It's not on the Coppermind as far as I know. Everything is more or less pure speculation at this point. I believe Frost isn't a world hopper so the only way he could get stormlight is if someone delivered spheres to him, which is possible just less easily available.

I know I’ve seen at least one WoB about it. Can’t find it right now but he’s talking about how he might eventually right a novella about “one of Hoid’s protégés on a planet trying to figure out the local magic system.” The only way I see Frost having stormlight is if he has one of those stormlight storage devices used in Oathbringer in the cognitive realm. 

5 minutes ago, The Ryshadium said:

I know I’ve seen at least one WoB about it. Can’t find it right now but he’s talking about how he might eventually right a novella about “one of Hoid’s protégés on a planet trying to figure out the local magic system.” The only way I see Frost having stormlight is if he has one of those stormlight storage devices used in Oathbringer in the cognitive realm. 

So I looked through all the WOB about Hoid and I believe the quote you are talking about is referring to one of Brandon's first stories about Hoid and not a protégé.

20 minutes ago, IcyLetters said:

I think Sigzil would technically be one of Hoid's proteges, honestly. Or at least was meant to be.

Edited by Invocation

20 minutes ago, IcyLetters said:

So I looked through all the WOB about Hoid and I believe the quote you are talking about is referring to one of Brandon's first stories about Hoid and not a protégé.

Brandon has said that Hoid would no longer work in that story. If he writes it, it will be about one of his "apprentices." Finally found the WoB.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/378/#e12466

Glamdring804

Yeah, it’s dangerous to leave him unsupervised for extended periods of time, as a random novella might suddenly appear.

Brandon Sanderson

The latest one is a story I really want to write about one of Hoid's apprentices, set in the future of the cosmere (between era 3 and 4) stranded on a minor shardword and trying to figure out their kite-based magic system...

(No time right now, though. Stay on target...)

yahasgaruna

That sounds very much like the first story you wrote about Hoid, doesn't it? About him landing on a new planet and trying to figure out the local magic system?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, it would be the spiritual successor of that story. I don't think it would work any more for him, the way he has developed, but I think it could play out very well with one of his many apprentices across the worlds. (Particularly if he's a little more organized about this in the space-age era.)

Someday, I really need to send my old discs from the early 90s out for data recovery, to see if anything is on them. It would be a hoot to read these old stories and really see how much of the Cosmere existed in embryo back when I was a teenager.

Stormlight Book Four Update #1 (Jan. 2, 2019)

13 minutes ago, ZenBossanova said:

What makes me wonder, is if there is postal service to Yolen, then how does Khriss know nothing about Yolen? 

I have to assume that there isn't. 

Notice that Brandon didn't actually answer the question. He specifically said that "Hoid isn't using it" but there's a postal service. 

He dodged the question and gave an interesting tidbit. And it's not the first time on this subject. 

On 3/23/2019 at 1:03 AM, The Ryshadium said:

We know Hoid has many protégés throughout the cosmere. It’s possible he could be using some of them as messengers?

Given the rather hostile reaction some of those letters caused, having somebody clearly associated with you is not the safest method.

The postal system in Shadesmar is not as formalized as a standard postal system - it's more independent.  

Overlord Jebus [PENDING REVIEW]

Cosmere postal service. Can you tell us anything about this? How many people are involved?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

It is more UPS than USPS, if that makes sense. Meaning it is enterprising individuals who are traveling and trading between planets. Some places are easier to deliver to than others.

Footnote: UPS is United Parcel Service (a package delivery company) and USPS is the US Postal Service.
Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

• Chaos locked this topic