Possible Foreshadowings & Red-herrings

don_karma_II

I have been going through this forum and read several posts here about possible foreshadowings & Red-Herrings. So I thought we can discuss all those subtle references we may think are possible foreshadowings or red-herrings. 

But no, that was Dalinar. Like . . . one of the Heralds themselves, coming down from the Tranquiline Halls. 

So Dalinar as a future Herald or just a red-herring?

I know there are lots more in those two books. I will actively update this thread with possible Foreshadowings.

I'm pretty sure that's just a simile being used, since Heralds are kind of like Roshar's angels, and seeing somebody float down from the sky while glowing gold is going to call up angelic comparisons.

Odds are Hoid was using that flute of his on Roshar for a reason, so I'm guessing that he'll be giving it to somebody else, if he dared part with it again.

Edited by Observer

Just a simile. Dalinar had a brother and remembers his childhood. Unless a Herald has transformation powers (to turn into a child and stuff) and can plant false memories in both himself and in everyone else he knows, no, Dalinar is not a Herald.

Or alternately, Dalinar could be Ishar and Eshonai could be Jezrien.

Just a simile. Dalinar had a brother and remembers his childhood. Unless a Herald has transformation powers (to turn into a child and stuff) and can plant false memories in both himself and in everyone else he knows, no, Dalinar is not a Herald.

Or alternately, Dalinar could be Ishar and Eshonai could be Jezrien.

No, Ym is Jezrien and Lift is Nale. That's an easy mistake to make though.

On-topic, I really don't think Dalinar is one of the Heralds. I think the reference is just a bit of flavoring for the scene.

No, Ym is Jezrien and Lift is Nale. That's an easy mistake to make though.

On-topic, I really don't think Dalinar is one of the Heralds. I think the reference is just a bit of flavoring for the scene.

Oh right, Ym is Jezrien. And of course, Darkness is Paliah.

It could also be foreshadowing the possible creation of new Heralds? The others broke their oath, but perhaps a new one can be made with a new set? It was implied in WoK that they used to be something besides Heralds, and, I can't quite remember the quote, but Kelek in the prologue was thinking about how Jezrien still looked like the king that he used to be.

EDIT: Slight word change.

Edited by Windshard

Oh right, Ym is Jezrien. And of course, Darkness is Paliah.

Absolutely correct. Rock is Vedelev and Shallash is Baxil. The Herald of the Lightweavers rejects your sexist attitudes and has decided to live as hired muscle for a few decades.

@don karma ii: I'm not sure if this is clear or not, but we're absolutely not making fun of your suggestion. The original post is thoughtful and interesting... but we're childish and look for any excuse to start spouting nonsense. :P

I think Adolin reawakening his blade spren was foreshadowed pretty heavily, but just as easily could be a red herring.

He loves his blade, he talks to it. Syl said maybe one could be reawakened if their knight said the oaths and they were accepted.

Considering Brandon's wording, I'm guessing Adolin is a red herring. Also, RShara should arrive any second now to provide the WoBs that take me an hour to find saying that the Oathpact is actually still in one piece, and the heralds are still heralds.

EDIT: Looks like I win this time.

Q:  So, by the nine leaving, did that actually break the Oathpact for them? Did it change the cycle of Desolations?
A:  They have not completely broken the Oathpact, despite what they may think.

Edited by Observer

• Chaos locked this topic