Theory: Shattered Plains and Prologue to WoK

andheiswitty

Ok, so I haven't finished WoR yet, but went back to the prologue in Wok and picked up on a number of resemblances between the battlefield there and the Shattered Plains. Perhaps this is revealed later in the book, but if not, could the two be the same?

Edit: Well not much of a theory in there, it was late and I was excited. Here is some more of the explanation.

In the Prologue, I first noticed that the descriptions of the battlefield could be construed as the Shattered Plains: rocky stone ridge, a plain of misshapen rock and stone, natural pillars, few plants, ridges and mounds bore scars and were shattered where Surgebinders had fought, cracked hollows where thunderclasts had emerged. Given the millennia which have passed since then and the frequency of the highstorms, these scars and hollows could have been dug out further. And then this line, "The place of meeting was in the shadow of a large rock formation, a spire rising into the sky." Could this be the spire in the middle of the Plains, where the Parshendi Five had met?

Perhaps this is completely obvious to everyone, or is revealed obviously in the couple hundred pages left in WoR that I haven't read yet. In any case, I got excited at the potential light bulb going off in my head, and wouldn't have ever made the connection without the line about the spire rising in the sky.

If the theory is right, I'm also beginning to wonder about the fate of the Honorblades, and if they might be found beneath some hardened crem in the Parshendi camp?

Edited by andheiswitty

If the theory is right, I'm also beginning to wonder about the fate of the Honorblades, and if they might be found beneath some hardened crem in the Parshendi camp?

WoR Spoiler:

It's stated that seven of the Honorblades are in Shinovar, the missing three being the one Szeth had, Taln's, and I believe one that a Herald took.

By the end of WoR, there's evidence suggesting otherwise.

There's an Oathgate at the center, meaning the plains were one of the ten Silver Kingdoms. Now, they could have gotten broken between the founding of the Radiants and the prologue, but Shallan also determines that they were shattered in a single event, so the damage didn't result from a prolonged battle, and I don't think the Heralds would have fought there post-shattering. There wouldn't be any population centers to protect, and at least one form of Voidbringer can jump chasms, giving them a mobility advantage over the non-Radiant soldiers. The human armies wouldn't enter without altering the terrain unless forced.

One theory is that the Recreance happened when the Skybreakers obliterated the city.

• Chaos locked this topic