Chekhov's... eyedrops?

kari-no-sugata

In chapter 28, Tyn introduces Shallan to eyedrops that darken your eyes for a few hours.

But I don't recall them being actually used. It's not like Shallan needs eyedrops for a disguise either... but surely these are going to be used at some point?

My best idea: Kaladin will be nervous about going to visit his parents with light eyes and happens to mention it to Shallan (or in Shallan's hearing) and she suggests the eyedrops.

Teeny tiny theory but just for a bit of fun :)

PS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov%27s_gun

They will definitely be used. Alternatively, they are ALREADY being used.

The offspring of Lighteyes and Darkeyes can be either Lighteyes or Darkeyes, or halfeyed.

Kaladin is a Light eyes name.

OMG!!! Hesina is secretly a Lighteyes who hoped her firstborn son would be Lighteyes! And now Kaladin hates his mother. but doesn't know it yet!!!

#YouHeardItHereFirst

I agree with Swimmingly.  They are a useful part of the world, and we will probably see multiple characters use them over the course of many books.  They probably aren't so much Chekhov's gun as they are yet another tool.

I think Brandon simply put them in in order to give a reasonable explanation for how someone like Graves, and now Moash, could hide among the common people. Otherwise, it would be completely unbelievable.

Also, I bet they wouldn't work for Kaladin or any other sufficiently-advanced Radiant. Their eyes are not merely light, they actually glow.

Only when infusing Stormlight though. And I wouldn't be surprised if Stormlight burns it right off. So basically, it works as long as he doesn't infuse.

I doubt it would burn off. It is an external application. Does Stormlight clean dirty skin? But using it when you have enough to glow would probably be like how a modern computer/tv screen can be black, and still glowing so you can see off of it in the dark. So he would have dark, glowing eyes.

Just a note, I'm pretty sure that Shallan uses them when she disguises herself as Veil...

Why would she need to? The Lightweaving can certainly cover that, I'm sure (I don't remember reading that it doesn't, if it couldn't that would indicate something very strange about being lighteyed).

• Chaos locked this topic