Szeth's screaming headache theory

Hearty_Joe

I have a question I haven't seen addressed on this forum yet, I haven't done such thorough research and if it's already been discussed, please let me know, Thanks.

My theory started with a question I had: Assuming that 'Darkness' is indeed Nalan the Herald of justice and his induction of Szeth into the order of the Skybreakers is legitimate, HOW CAN SZETH JOIN THE ORDER? HE DOESN'T HAVE A SPREN BONDED TO HIM! HE ISN'T RADIANT!

I have a few theories:

1) One doesn't have to be radiant to join an order, they simply must have abilities similar to that of a knight (and Nighblood will somehow grant Szeth those abilities).

2) Nalan can somehow bestow abilities upon Szeth.

3) SZETH IS ALREADY BONDED TO A SPREN. Assuming that each order has a unique set of spren with different likes and dislikes (Syl despises lies while Pattern likes them), there is a spren-type specific to the skybreakers. My theory is that a 'justice-type' spren bonded to Szeth but couldn't stand his warped concept of duty and screamed out in protest to the injustice of his killing sprees. The screams Szeth hears are that of his spren.

I realize that Szeth does't display any abilities other than that of a Windrunner, but it's possible that his spren isn't completely bonded to him and can't or doesn't want to help him. (just as Syl only helped Kaladin a little in his early years with his spear, before granting him his full Windrunner abilities). It's also possible that an Honorblade's power suppresses the power of a spren.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts and opinions, Thanks.  

My theory started with a question I had: Assuming that 'Darkness' is indeed Nalan the Herald of justice and his induction of Szeth into the order of the Skybreakers is legitimate, HOW CAN SZETH JOIN THE ORDER? HE DOESN'T HAVE A SPREN BONDED TO HIM! HE ISN'T RADIANT!

I have a few theories:

1) One doesn't have to be radiant to join an order, they simply must have abilities similar to that of a knight (and Nighblood will somehow grant Szeth those abilities).

2) Nalan can somehow bestow abilities upon Szeth.

3) SZETH IS ALREADY BONDED TO A SPREN. Assuming that each order has a unique set of spren with different likes and dislikes (Syl despises lies while Pattern likes them), there is a spren-type specific to the skybreakers. My theory is that a 'justice-type' spren bonded to Szeth but couldn't stand his warped concept of duty and screamed out in protest to the injustice of his killing sprees. The screams Szeth hears are that of his spren.

We have this WoB, which you might find interesting:

Source:

Q: Does Szeth have any Surgebinding powers . . . losing the honorblade?

A: He would not have any after losing the honorblade. However, he has been approached by a member of one of the orders. And so, it's entirely possible that you would see him going somewhere with that. He also has a very special sword, that does very special things.

In any case, I don't think Szeth is a Skybreaker yet. I don't think he's "joined the order" as you put it. I expect he will be by the end of Book 3, though. Nalan does appear to still lead his Skybreakers, though whether or not they have spren is unknown (though very possible, given that WoB).

Szeth's screaming is interesting, and may have something to do with a screaming spren. I am a fan of Eshonai's screaming being her Shardblade, so far be it for me to speak out against the theory on Szeth's screaming. I think that Szeth likely has something different going on with Odium, since Odium decided to look in on Szeth as he attacked Dalinar.

It could very well be that Szeth doesn't "have any Surgebinding powers" simply because his Spren hasn't granted them to him yet. Syl was hanging (zipping) around Kaladin for years before he 'glowed' with Radiance and was able to lash. As for Eshonai and the Pashendi, I have a theory about them I may post once I re-read WoR and find quotes to support my theory. I think it's safe to say though that the screams they hear are indeed different (to an extent...)

• Chaos locked this topic