Aimian shadows

Leuthie

Aimian shadows point toward the light. Possible explanation incoming...

In the Physical, shadows are areas where the amount of light hitting a surface is less than the surrounding surface due to occlusion by a physical body. So a shadow is actually an absence of light. However, we perceive a shadow as being a thing.

This perception on Roshar leads to the existence of the Idea of Shadow in the Cognitive realm. The Idea of Shadow needs light to exist so it is drawn toward light IN the Cognitive realm.

Aimians are presumed to be both Physical and Cognitive entities (where humans are Physical only).

With all that in mind, I speculate that when one sees an Aimian, one sees their Idea of Shadow instead of their shadow. This Idea is drawn toward the local light source (like Jasnah's shadow was drawn toward Stormlight in the prologue). Therefore, we perceive their shadow as going in the wrong direction.

I should point out that all things exist in all realms. Humans might be dominantly in the physical, but they still cognitive and spiritual aspects.

This being said... spren shadows point towards Shadesmar's "sun" when they are in the cognitive realm too. 

Of course they do. Ideas of Shadows are drawn toward light, the reason they exist. Cognitive is the Realm of Ideas.

And I understand that everything exists in all Realms. Humans can only directly effect the Physical, just as spren can only directly effect the Cognitive. Aimians, it's hinted, can effect both. Parshendi "exist" in the Cognitive more than humans do, evidenced by their connections through song and their affinity for transformative bonds with Cognitive entities (spren).

• Chaos locked this topic