[Theory] The making of a Squire

Havoc

Of all the people in Bridge Four, why is Lopen the first to be able to absorb Stormlight? Aside from the fact that he's been the most motivated, and the only one who's really trying, I believe this passage explains it:

“Well, gancho,” Lopen said. “Can you stick me to the wall?”
“I . . . I don’t know,” Kaladin said.
“Seems like it would be good to know, eh?” Lopen stood up. “Shall we try?”
Kaladin glanced at Sigzil, who shrugged.
Kaladin drew in more Stormlight. The raging tempest filled him, as if it were battering against his skin, a captive trying to find a way out. He drew the Stormlight into his hand and pressed it against the wall, painting the stones with luminescence.
Taking a deep breath, he picked up Lopen—the slender man was startlingly easy to lift, particularly with a measure of Stormlight still inside Kaladin’s veins. He pressed Lopen against the wall.
When Kaladin dubiously stepped back, the Herdazian remained there, stuck to the stone by his uniform, which bunched up under his armpits.
Kaladin slammed his weight against Lopen, whose strike was off-center. He shoved Lopen against the wall, then pulled back, leaving the Herdazian stuck to the stone, which Kaladin had infused in the heartbeat they’d been pressed together.

I'm sure that Kaladin accidentally infused Lopen with some Stormlight in one of these two incidents, opening him up to be able to accept Stormlight himself. Given the timing, there's also likely a connection to Kaladin speaking the Thrid Ideal, and powering himself up.

I don't think The Lopen was the first of the Bridgemen to absorb or use Stormlight.  I think he was just the first to do it deliberately as part of a quest to be able to do it, and the reason I think he did that was because he was the only one trying.  Before that POV from The Lopen, we already had Teft telling Kaladin some of the other bridgemen had glowed in the storm.

Lopen isn't the first:

“Kal,” Teft said, voice getting even softer. “At the end there, right before you arrived . . . Storms, son, I swear I saw a couple of the lads glowing. Faintly, with Stormlight.”

I think they become squires when their bond with the Windrunner gets strong enough - loyalty, obedience, willingness to follow. When they express these qualities, they start sharing some of the Radiant power; at least the healing and likely strength and other physical attributes.

If I recall correctly, Peter said to look for squires even in WoK; probably Kal's first specific Windrunner made him capable of forming squire bond with Bridge Four.

edit: spelling

Edited by Aleksiel

He was the first because he was trying daily multiple times a day. He likely absorbed stormlight within hours of gaining the ability. Anyway teft said he swears he saw saw some member of bridge four glowing.

As for why they are gaining these abilities i think it has something to do with how they worship kaladin and seem time be a good bunch of guys.

Edited by Era

I think that Bridge Four will without a doubt become a Windrunner Squad. In addition to the information posted above we know for a fact that Windrunners typically behaved this way in the past:

Also, some orders were individualistic, while others—like the Windrunners—functioned in teams, with a specific hierarchy.

The question is can all Surgebinders buff groups or is it just Windrunners, Bondsmiths, and Edgedancers?

We know the Edgedancers can buff groups from Dalinar's flashback:

She raised her Shardblade and charged, stepping through the water with uncanny ease, as if it had no purchase on her. Perhaps it was the strength of Shardplate.

Dalinar finished repeating the words. Beyond him, the fight began in earnest, water splashing, rock grinding. Soldiers approached bearing hammers, and unexpectedly, these men now also glowed with Stormlight, though far more faintly.

And it is likely that Dalinar was the one buffing the group of Bridgeman before Kaladin arrived. Though it could have been an unknown Surgebinder.

I'm inclined to believe that all Surgebinders can do this. Mostly because we're seeing a lot of overlap in abilities like extraordinary healing and strength.

~sbi

Edited by smearedblackink

We know the Edgedancers can buff groups from Dalinar's flashback:

Actually, the woman is probably a Releaser using the Abrasion surge; note that her colors appear to be a deep red.

It does seem likely that several of the Orders can have squires, however. That said, I don't think it's every Order, since some Orders are identified by in-world WoR as being individualistic:

Still, she had learned a great deal. For example, each order had different Ideals , or standards, to determine advancement . Some were specific, others left to the interpretation of the spren . Also, some orders were individualistic, while others— like the Windrunners— functioned in teams, with a specific hierarchy.

Alternatively, it may be that all of the Orders are capable of it (it's inherent in Surgebinding) but some Orders are more prone to it.

I see it as less the orders and more the person.

Many Elsecallers might make good use of squires. The reason Jasnh does not have any is not because of her order, it is because she is a bit of an antisocial snob.

Her being dead for most of the book was good for Shallan I think. Shallan made an ally of a Highprince Jasnah had dismissed because he was not refined enough, and she did not like that. So I see Shallan having squires and Gaz and her guards.

The question is, does the link between Radiant and squire offer other abilities? I doubt it allows the squires to surge bind, but could shallan use lightweaving on a squire of hers at range like she can with Pattern?

So Windrunners had squires, and Dustbringers seem like a safe bet. Of the other orders, I'll guess that Truthwatchers and Bondsmiths didn't have them. Truthwatchers since they were isolated by their secrecy, Bondsmiths since they were such a small order. Hard to guess how the others broke down, though it does look like Shallan has a proto-squire group in her soldiers.

Has anyone reread the Kaladin in Amaram's army scene, looking for squires?

Not there, but with the Bridgemen in Sadeas camp, yes. There seems to be a point where you are instinctively inhaling minute quantities of stormlight, before you can consciously inhale stormlight. Remember the metaphor comparing being filled with stormlight like wine in a wineskin? I think minute stormlight is like the last few drops of wine, that are not going to get out the the container no matter how much you shake it. It stays there until it evaporates.

I think what was happening to Kaladin in Amarams Army, was happening to Bridge four after they looked to Kaladin as an inspiration and Kal started listening to Syl.

So Windrunners had squires, and Dustbringers seem like a safe bet. Of the other orders, I'll guess that Truthwatchers and Bondsmiths didn't have them. Truthwatchers since they were isolated by their secrecy, Bondsmiths since they were such a small order. Hard to guess how the others broke down, though it does look like Shallan has a proto-squire group in her soldiers.

What you are saying does not make sense. The size of the order does not matter. Kaladin is currently a order of one. He has squires. the majority of Radiant's were not martial orders according to a quote in WoR. All (save Dalinar currently) can make a shardblade. I see squires as an ability just like shardblades. Some might utilize it more than others based on their circumstances, but to some degree, nearly every Radiant can do it.

Edited by Bramble Thorn

What you are saying does not make sense. The size of the order does not matter. Kaladin is currently a order of one. He has squires. the majority of Radiant's were not martial orders according to a quote in WoR. All (save Dalinar currently) can make a shardblade. I see squires as an ability just like shardblades. 

I said "didn't have them," not "couldn't have them."

Still, she had learned a great deal. For example, each order had different Ideals, or standards, to determine advancement. Some were specific, others left to the interpretation of the spren. Also, some orders were individualistic, while others— like the Windrunners— functioned in teams, with a specific hierarchy.

We know some orders were individualistic, they didn't act as teams. So it's not a big stretch to assume some orders, as orders, weren't running around with squires. Again, I'm not wondering about who had the ability, I'm speculating who used the ability. The Bondsmiths and Truthwatchers, given the descriptions we have of them in the other epigraphs, seem to me to be more likely to be individualistic orders. For size mattering, it's not about any order's current size, but their size when the Radiants were at full strength. If Teft's right when he says, "From what I can guess, it seems that the orders of the Knights Radiant were made up of more than just the knights themselves” (WOR 1047)," then the squires appear to be counted in the order. I don't know, though, maybe one or two of the three members of the Bondsmiths were squires, or it could be that the Bondsmiths numbered only three plus their fifty squires.

Edited by TomR

• 1 month later...

I might pop in later with the actual quotes, but I think most of the "squirey" things are from the latter half of the book. Skar and Teft in particular are mentioned as having taken a beating that they shake off a bit too quickly. In the former's case, I think it was his foot that was hurt during the Battle of the Tower, and Kaladin notices that his walking around when he shouldn't really be during the opening chapter of WoR.

• Chaos locked this topic