Can NightBlood Use stormlight?

stratix

I have been reading some of the spoilers, and A huge question I have after reading Words of Radiance is if Nightblood can use stormlight. one of the WoB states the following:

Q: How long as Zahel been slumming it on Roshar?

A: For quite a long time, on this planet he can get something quite easily that is much harder to get where he came from.

So is breath the same thing as stormlight? If that is the case, then Nightblood will be able to feed off of infused spheres...

My other thought is that it might use a specific type of spren which would be more like breath.

Please discuss!

I have been reading some of the spoilers, and A huge question I have after reading Words of Radiance is if Nightblood can use stormlight. one of the WoB states the following:Q: How long as Zahel been slumming it on Roshar?A: For quite a long time, on this planet he can get something quite easily that is much harder to get where he came from.So is breath the same thing as stormlight? If that is the case, then Nightblood will be able to feed off of infused spheres...My other thought is that it might use a specific type of spren which would be more like breath.Please discuss!

Brandon has said that Light and Breath are fairly similar forms of investiture. It's also heavily implied that Vasher can consume some amount of Light instead of Breath to live. The same is implied for Nightblood. Although Brandon has said mixing magic systems does funky things. I'm curious as to whether this counts as mixing magic.

Breath and Stormlight are both forms of Investiture, which is the stuff that makes magic go in the Cosmere. And since they work in similar ways - both are an all-purpose fuel that drives magic-users' abilities - it would make sense that people who can process the one can also make use of the other.

(I'm planning to ask what the "exchange rate" between Breath and Stormlight is at the signing in DC next week - I'll be back with an answer if I get one!)

(I'm planning to ask what the "exchange rate" between Breath and Stormlight is at the signing in DC next week - I'll be back with an answer if I get one!)

I wanted to know the same thing.

“What is a man’s life worth?” Dalinar asked softly.

“The slavemasters say one is worth about two emerald broams,” Kaladin said, frowning.

Sanderson, Brandon (2010-08-31). The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 957). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

It's not much, but for right now I'm going with the assumption that one breath is worth two emerald broams worth of stormlight. :D

Edited by Galavantes

Almost certainly.  Otherwise Szeth is toast.

I've wondered about this for a while, we know Vasher will die if he is wielding Nightblood and runs out of breaths but this seems likely to be because it would then drain his divine breath removing the thing keeping him alive. Do we have WoB on what effect Nightblood would have on someone who isn't returned? Would it kill them or simply leave them drab?

Do we have WoB on what effect Nightblood would have on someone who isn't returned? Would it kill them or simply leave them drab?

I don't think it's just that Vasher's Returned. Every time someone holds Nightblood, they seem to end up shoving Nightblood through their own chest.

Edited by TomR

When you run out of Breath, you shove Nightblood through your own chest.

All that tells us is that when Vasher runs out of breath Nightblood will kill him, which to me seems likely to be through draining his divine breath which is what's keeping him alive. Maybe I'm wrong but I always read the people killing themselves as being because Nightblood saw them as evil not because they ran out of breath.

I've wondered about this for a while, we know Vasher will die if he is wielding Nightblood and runs out of breaths but this seems likely to be because it would then drain his divine breath removing the thing keeping him alive. Do we have WoB on what effect Nightblood would have on someone who isn't returned? Would it kill them or simply leave them drab?

This is actually a good call. We've never seen someone who isn't a returned or "evil" use nightblood yet. It could just turn a normal person drab. And drain a surgbinder of all their stormlight, then pretty much quit.

All that tells us is that when Vasher runs out of breath Nightblood will kill him, which to me seems likely to be through draining his divine breath which is what's keeping him alive. Maybe I'm wrong but I always read the people killing themselves as being because Nightblood saw them as evil not because they ran out of breath.

When Nightblood is unsheathed, he absorbs investiture. That includes the very spark of life within a person. So he would kill a person if they ran out of Stormlight.

When Nightblood is unsheathed, he absorbs investiture. That includes the very spark of life within a person. So he would kill a person if they ran out of Stormlight.

WoB is that there exists a planet where humans have no innante investiture so it seems unlikely that it is the spark of life. Though it could be tied up with peoples life so Nightblood would kill everyone except the no investiture people.

My question at the signing was:

Q: On the planets in the Cosmere, we've seen so far, do all of the humans have Innate Investiture?

A: He said that we hadn't yet seen the planet, where the humans don't have it, so yes, the humans we've seen have Innate Investiture. He was explicit about Scadrial and confirmed that drabs on Nalthis don't have Innate Investiture. Rosharians have it.

Q: As to the Innate Investiture on Roshar, which Shard is it from

A: RAFO

Interesting parts (at leats in my opinion): There is a planet in the Cosmere where humans don't have Innate Investiture. And: humans on Sel have Innate Investiture.

I'll get to you if there is some other interesting point on my record.

Which also seems to indicate that if Nightblood only drains investiture it wouldn't effect drabs and might even be able to turn people from planets other than Nalthis into drabs.

Edited by Jreengus Occured

• Chaos locked this topic