Talenel's Honorblade

11thorderknight

We know it was not left with the other 9 the day the Oathpact was abandoned. So, the logical assumption was that Taln dragged it into Kholinar at the end of Way of Kings. However, that Blade has then supposedly been bonded by Dalinar, and then thrown into the bushes of Urithiru because of the screaming-dead-spren thing. But the Honorblades shouldn't have dead spren. Also, Dalinar should have had surgebinding and Surges by bonding it (though, since he's a Bondsmith, one of the surges would have been one he already had). So, the Blade Dalinar bonded was likely not an Honorblade. However, the Blade Taln dragged in was likely not one he found lying around between getting to Roshar from Braize and knocking on the doors of Kholinar. Which means that the chain of custody has been interrupted, a swap was made, and someone is running around with Taln's Honorblade.

Hoid does seem to be the likely possessor of Taln's blade.  I would note though, that it seemed pretty clear in the Amaram confrontation that Dalinar did not have Taln's blade.  The blade Dalinar had was described as being like a giant cleaver whereas the WoK epilogue described Taln's blade as long and thin resembling a giant spike.  

You guys are right - Hoid is the obvious choice. So obvious I missed it!

In a slightly related note, did you notice how he mentions having "perfect pitch" when playing a guitar (Breath)? And that he pours a mysterious powder into his wine prior to getting Shallan to act much more trusting towards him than she normally would (allomancy)? So, he's definitely running around collecting connections to all the various Shards.

I was wondering the same thing. And it was pissing me off... SO - why did Hoid leave a shardblade there for everyone to think it was Taln's blade?

Because the gates of Kholinar were cut by a Shardblade, and if the madman didn't have one, questions would be asked. There were even guards as witnesses who saw Taln with a Blade. People who were known to be there at the time would be questioned about a missing Shardblade. By leaving a Shardblade in its place, Wit has neatly avoided all suspicion.

Especially since IIRC Brandon specifically pointed out at a signing that Honorblades can't be bound to an owner like Shardblades are. And what did Dalinar do with "Taln's blade"?

Welcome to the forums! If you will scroll up - you will notice that the pretty much consensual agreement is that Hoid/Wit has 'claimed it' for his ever-expanding invested-crap collection. 

Welcome to the forums! If you will scroll up - you will notice that the pretty much consensual agreement is that Hoid/Wit has 'claimed it' for his ever-expanding invested-crap collection. 

I think he's asking what happened to the shardblade that Dalinar dropped when he bonded with the StormFather.  Answer:  Same thing that happened to all of the Shards that Adolin won.

I saw! I was just responding to the "that's the only thing that makes sense" comment directly above mine, and chipping in a bit of supporting evidence that I hadn't seen brought up before.

Hold on a sec: This is something I don't understand - and I think I'll be going back to this part of the book to clarify it - Was Amaram the one who took Taln at the end of the book? And did they went to Urithiru just like the others?

And another thing, when Dalinar was asking Amaram to apologize to Kaladin, it was mentioned that he bonded the "madman's" sword. So the Blade that the Stormfather made him discard was Taln's honorblade, right? Then why did he hear screams when he discarded it when Kaladin didn't when he retrieved Jezrien's honorblade from Szeth? Am I missing something?

Hold on a sec: This is something I don't understand - and I think I'll be going back to this part of the book to clarify it - Was Amaram the one who took Taln at the end of the book? And did they went to Urithiru just like the others?

And another thing, when Dalinar was asking Amaram to apologize to Kaladin, it was mentioned that he bonded the "madman's" sword. So the Blade that the Stormfather made him discard was Taln's honorblade, right? Then why did he hear screams when he discarded it when Kaladin didn't when he retrieved Jezrien's honorblade from Szeth? Am I missing something?

hmmm... I think my questions were answered.

Do we know 100% that the madman is Talenel?  The only real evidence it seems is the madmans own mad ramblings, his reaction to Shallan sucking in Stormlight, and Amaran's worshiping of Talenel.  None of that is real solid evidence I don't think.

Hoid switched the blades the descriptions are different:

WOK: It was described as being "a massive Shardblade, long narrow and straight. Shaped like an enormous pike."

WOR:"Wider than most, it was almost cleaver like in appearance."

I can imagine Hoid running off into the moons silhouette cackling one his way to stash it in his Cosmere Hidey Hole  :P

Do we know 100% that the madman is Talenel?  The only real evidence it seems is the madmans own mad ramblings, his reaction to Shallan sucking in Stormlight, and Amaran's worshiping of Talenel.  None of that is real solid evidence I don't think.

Brandon confirmed it :)

Edited by WEZ313

There was the part where we got a PoV from him thinking about all the other Heralds and describing his torture in a way similar to Kalak. He also moved with supernatural speed to save Amaram's life. He also had a Shardblade (Honorblade originally). Added together, the evidence is quite strong, even if we didn't have a WoB.

• Chaos locked this topic