Ironic Echoes

Seloun

This is probably a general Sanderson observation, but there seems to be a lot of 'ironic echoes' in WoR. What I mean by that are similar phrases or scenes that pop up more than once, but due to the context they have a different meaning. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed anything like that.

Couple I've noticed:

- In the chasm scene, Kaladin:

“You must be the only person,” he whispered, “to ever fall asleep while outside in a highstorm.”

vs.

“In the privy, bridgeboy,” Adolin said, nodding to another door. “You can sleep during a highstorm. That’s impressive. Almost as impressive as how much you drool when you’re dozing.”

- During training:

“If there were two of them, bridgeboy?” Adolin asked with a smirk. “Could you fight two Shardbearers at once? If I wanted to kill Father or the king, I’d never send just one.”

vs. the arena scene (two actually):

Wind. Motion. Kaladin fought two Shardbearers at once, knocking their Blades aside with the helm. He couldn’t attack—didn’t dare try to attack. He could only survive, and in this, the winds seemed to urge him.

“Uncle,” Elhokar said, grip tightening on his arm, “listen to me for once. Be a little paranoid. Why would Sadeas want you down there? It’s so that an ‘accident’ can occur! He wants you removed, Dalinar. I guarantee that if you step onto those sands, all four will attack you straight out. Shardblade or none, you’ll be dead before you get into stance."

- Also arena:

“What has happened to us?” Dalinar asked. “Where is our honor?”

“Honor is dead,” a voice whispered from beside him.

Dalinar turned and looked at Captain Kaladin. He hadn’t noticed the bridgeman walking down the steps behind him.

vs.

“Tell you ?” she asked, becoming the image of a full-size young woman standing on the wall before him. She was nearly as tall as he was, her dress fading to mist. “Tell you what?”

“If honor is dead,” Kaladin whispered.

“He is,” Syl said. “But he lives on in men. And in me.”

There is the whole thing where both Marsh and Amaram talk about necessary sacrifices, wich gets pointed out by Kaladin.

Also the term "Son of Honor" crops out both with Stormfather calling Kaladin one and Amaram´s group calling themself as such, most likely intentional by the secret society.

• Chaos locked this topic